Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
About 2/3 of the way through the article there's this quote:

“Downshifting you learn to blip the throttle so the revs don’t stretch the pistons, that’s learning to drive a sports car,” Basso said.

I understand wanting to rev match on downshifts but, stretch the pistons?! Wait, what!? I know I'm an idiot but am I an even bigger idiot for not being aware of this phenomenon?!
Not blipping the throttle can also cause your muffler bearings to short out… so now you know!

es

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,644 Posts
You see the video of Clooney riding his scooter head on into the Benz?
He was okay so I had the freedom to lmao
Not much into the topic, but I like your avatar:smiley_flag::thumbsUp:

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Carollas? Yaris? Clearly these people have given up on life so what good would a manual be to them anyway? :devil

And I just don't understand only offering manuals in trucks with the world's smallest engines. :frown My 24" lift isn't enough, OK? I have a lot to over compensate for.

Reactions: Yoram and ESindon

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love my M6 SS. The only thing I wish it had was the auto-rev match feature found on the Corvettes. I can rev match just fine, but struggle with heel to toe (I'm 6'5" with size 15 shoe). For example, if I'm slowing down to make a turn into the neighborhood, I usually just leave it in 3rd and make my turn or switch into second when I'm slow enough. Ideally, I would like to be able to brake at the same time as I downshift with rev match into second. This is probably the advantage of a DCT where you can be in the right gear at all times. But I agree, the DCTs and autos are not as involved and fun.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
R&T must only look at 2 door cars. I think if they put the SS there, their subscribers would all write to the editor that it was a typo because an Impala doesn't have a stick.

Aside: My Sister bought an 82 Camaro Z28 with the old crossfire injection which was just the tip of her problems and GM's problems, but I thought the biggest fail was the the Automatic Transmission that year. It said 1,2,3,D, so she drove it in D all the time and needed a new tranny in a few years. I kept telling her to drive in 3 in the city and D on the highway, but like me, she's a user of sports cars. I think GM eventually got smart and began putting 1,2,D, OD to hint that OD shouldn't be used on city streets. I bought an 86 IROC-Z and I can't recall if it was D, OD or 3,D, but I was informed enough to not burn that tranny.

·
Registered
803 Posts
“Downshifting you learn to blip the throttle so the revs don’t stretch the pistons, that’s learning to drive a sports car,” and “When you have a clutch you have a peek at the inner workings of the car. It’s not a toaster.”

21 - 40 of 68 Posts