Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's sad, but as technology advances more, eventually there will be no benefits to a manual (besides that they are a blast to drive). There will always be purists, but sadly since those numbers are constantly dropping then eventually they will stop being "catered" to by automakers. But then again I think we are living in the new Golden age of cars much like the 60s/70s and I think the performance wars will eventually slow down and if that's the case I don't think having a manual on a slow car really matters at that point.

Reactions: Jetsam

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It’s too much work for most people. They just want to put it in “D” and have everything done for them.

Some tool said a automatic makes you a better driver in that article. LOL what? Heaven forbid you have to pay attention and think about what you are doing in a 3000+ moving piece of metal.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
That article was so poorly written. Manual transmissions aren't the only thing that's endangered. Journalists who know how to write are up there too.

The 1950's were "not too long ago" but the 1960's were "way back..."

My kids will learn how. If I don't have the SS anymore I'll teach them on the classic Mustang.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I feel like I need to try driving a few cars with good autos. Haven't had one in like 10 years. I'm sure technology has gotten much better. Allegedly PDK is the only one that works exactly the way you would want it too. It's allegedly the auto made for manual guys.

The single speed in my wife's i3 is great though! Always in the right gear! It even engine (motor) brakes nicely [through regeneration]! :giggle:

I wouldn't be surprised if I only owned manual and single speed transmissions for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Speed Kills

I feel like I need to try driving a few cars with good autos. Haven't had one in like 10 years. I'm sure technology has gotten much better. Allegedly PDK is the only one that works exactly the way you would want it too. It's allegedly the auto made for manual guys.

The single speed in my wife's i3 is great though! Always in the right gear! It even engine (motor) brakes nicely [through regeneration]! :giggle:

I wouldn't be surprised if I only owned manual and single speed transmissions for the rest of my life.
You should try a Zero motorcycle...might downgrade from a Ducati Diavel in a few years to that BMW C Evolution Scooter to stay alive in Georgia and trek to the Oconee County Senior Center with an afternoon beer run on the way back home...no more triple digit Desert Bike blasts for me!

·
Registered
605 Posts
“We had a manual option in the old Tiguan, but almost no one took it.” bah!!

"Even the famed Porsche 911, with its excellent PDK dual-clutch automatic transmission, has a manual take rate of just 20 percent." 20% is alot. anyone priced the PDK option vs a 7 speed manual?? big difference. Id rather spend that money on sport chrono n track tires for my 9 and maybe a pair of those cute little leather bras they put on their side mirrors....

My SS is an Automatic. I should have bought a M6 in hindsight......

Reactions: itsalongrowhome

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You should try a Zero motorcycle...might downgrade from a Ducati Diavel in a few years to that BMW C Evolution Scooter to stay alive in Georgia and trek to the Oconee County Senior Center with an afternoon beer run on the way back home...no more triple digit Desert Bike blasts for me!
You see the video of Clooney riding his scooter head on into the Benz?
He was okay so I had the freedom to lmao

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The au market Hyundai i30N is another car sold manual only but for how long.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Remember all those LP's and turntables everyone threw away? Manuals will "stick" around. Never underestimate the power of the cool kids.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Last auto i owned was over ten years ago. My camaro is a stick my SS is a stick. Combined 20k a year. And my work truck is a 10 speed Mack truck. I would love love love to know how many gears ive shifted in my life.

The last auto i drove in a regular basis was a 97 grand am gt with a 3.4 (was 3.1 but motor blew). Not an impressive auto

Next year ill probably sell the camaro and pick up a 6th gen camaro with 8spd auto. Or zl1 with 10 speed for the wife. Then save for factory five with 6spd

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's sad, but as technology advances more, eventually there will be no benefits to a manual (besides that they are a blast to drive).
I'm pretty sure we're already past that point. Today's autos, whether slushboxes or dual clutches, accelerate faster and get better gas mileage than their row-your-own counterparts.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm trying not to talk religion and politics here, but I can't help myself.:grin

That article was so poorly written. Manual transmissions aren't the only thing that's endangered. Journalists who know how to write are up there too.
Reverend!

He talks about take rates on manuals, and then glosses over them completely! The 911, with probably the best auto in the world and one of the highest percentage of douchebag poser to true enthusiast owners still manages a 20% manual rate! The US's only genuinely affordable sports car, the Miata, is over half manuals. These clearly indicate a LOT of drivers want to know that they are responsible for the good thing that happened on the drive. With all the modern ESC/TC systems, I can't help but wonder how much of "my" success is because of me, and how much is the car. Add an auto to the mix, and it's 100% the car did it.

Also, I'm fairly confident that anyone referring to any car related item as a "manny tranny" out loud would be punched in the mouth. Not on purpose, it's just the autonomic response, like absently swatting at a fly as it passes by your face. You barely even know you're doing it.:wink

It's sad, but as technology advances more, eventually there will be no benefits to a manual (besides that they are a blast to drive).
I hear this in every "car guy" environment, all I can think is masturbation is faster and safer than sex, but which would you choose?

Two words made this the saddest couple sentences I've read in a while:
Crappy article said:
Owners of the Ford Focus RS and Ford Mustang GT 350 must feel the same way. Those performance vehicles only come with manual transmissions for now.
If only Chevy had gone that route with the Corvette!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I hear this in every "car guy" environment, all I can think is masturbation is faster and safer than sex, but which would you choose?
So, I was arguing realistically, not for either side of manual vs auto. I think that is a bad example in this case because it is not whether what you rather drive, but rather what is available. So, something more comparable would be is if sex wasn't available would you refuse to masturbate just because you prefer to have sex or something along those lines. Either way I don't care much for newer vehicles, so as long as I stick to used cars I don't think I'll have a problem driving a manual. So I'll just stick with the Z06 for the foreseeable future

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
So, I was arguing realistically, not for either side of manual vs auto. I think that is a bad example in this case because it is not whether what you rather drive, but rather what is available. So, something more comparable would be is if sex wasn't available would you refuse to masturbate just because you prefer to have sex or something along those lines. Either way I don't care much for newer vehicles, so as long as I stick to used cars I don't think I'll have a problem driving a manual. So I'll just stick with the Z06 for the foreseeable future
Sorry- didn't mean to imply that you were on the wrong side :wink of the issue- just that autos are against my religion. Kind of hate to reopen this debate for the 500th time on this site, but to me it's a perfect metaphor; driving an auto is like masturbation- easier and more efficient... and not nearly as engaging.

Ultimately, the "autos are faster" crowd directly impacts what's available for me to drive. Few manuals in a given vehicle means the chances of finding one on the used market is slim to none. Most of that small manual take he mentions doesn't even make it to the used market, because those buyers refuse to give them up. I've had poor luck over the years finding the cars I want in the condition I want with a stick. I'll find autos all day long, but usually if it's a stick it's on the market because it's got problems.

The fact that so many potentially good options have axed the third pedal all together really sucks! Not that I could afford it, but imagine one of those Grand Cherokee Trackhawks if it just had a stick! I like the SS, but if it'd had a stick I'd probably have bought a Charger instead, years earlier. The SS is better balanced and smoother, but I'd have been happy enough driving a $38K 5.7L Charger with cloth seats and a giant plastic dash.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sorry- didn't mean to imply that you were on the wrong side :wink of the issue- just that autos are against my religion. Kind of hate to reopen this debate for the 500th time on this site, but to me it's a perfect metaphor; driving an auto is like masturbation- easier and more efficient... and not nearly as engaging.

Ultimately, the "autos are faster" crowd directly impacts what's available for me to drive. Few manuals in a given vehicle means the chances of finding one on the used market is slim to none. Most of that small manual take he mentions doesn't even make it to the used market, because those buyers refuse to give them up. I've had poor luck over the years finding the cars I want in the condition I want with a stick. I'll find autos all day long, but usually if it's a stick it's on the market because it's got problems.

The fact that so many potentially good options have axed the third pedal all together really sucks! Not that I could afford it, but imagine one of those Grand Cherokee Trackhawks if it just had a stick! I like the SS, but if it'd had a stick I'd probably have bought a Charger instead, years earlier. The SS is better balanced and smoother, but I'd have been happy enough driving a $38K 5.7L Charger with cloth seats and a giant plastic dash.
The metaphor was good it just wasn't really my point in my original post. But I agree that every performance vehicle is for the most part better in a manual, but times change. I'm sure there was a few guy who preferred the 3 on the tree over the 4 on the floor, but the 3 died out once having a floor shifter became more efficient. I honestly enjoy both manual and auto cars. I enjoy any form of driving fast or slow, but I do see why some people only like one and won't change their mind, I am the same way about motorcycles, it wouldn't be the same if it were auto. I also only like GM vehicles and no matter how much hp dodge stuffs in their vehicles, I will never be convinced that they are good cars because they're not.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
About 2/3 of the way through the article there's this quote:

“Downshifting you learn to blip the throttle so the revs don’t stretch the pistons, that’s learning to drive a sports car,” Basso said.

I understand wanting to rev match on downshifts but, stretch the pistons?! Wait, what!? I know I'm an idiot but am I an even bigger idiot for not being aware of this phenomenon?!

·
Registered
440 Posts

The 1950's were "not too long ago" but the 1960's were "way back..."

My kids will learn how. If I don't have the SS anymore I'll teach them on the classic Mustang.
What passes for journalism these days is truly sad, perhaps a product of what has become of the public school system in this country.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I learned something new. Apparently the Wrangler, especially with an automatic, is practically autonomous in true off-road scenarios--"the gearbox is notchy enough to make it feel like you’re actually doing something in a vehicle that can conquer territory without much insight from the driver."

·
Registered
2017 SS, 2018 Camaro LS/RS
51 Posts
I bought my SS with the M6 because I wanted to shift my own gears. I'm not interested in being 0.2 faster in a 1/4 mile... I love the feeling, and there's nothing like downshifting from 6th to 3rd and putting a small distance on someone who is in the passing lane going 10 under the limit.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts