Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '17, bought 8/17, that has 17,000 miles on it. I have same tires that came with it. What's the deal on actual mileage vs the sheer time the tires are on the wheels re getting new tires? I'm not looking to spend $1000s ahead of time but don't want to ask for a highway problem either. Is it just a matter of tread thickness? I've heard there's more to it, regardless of mileage, if the tires have been in the car for, say, five years (as of 8/22).

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a 16 thats at 17kmiles. I noticed cracking around the edge of the tread at the sidewall. Because it is low milage it also has had a lot of time to sit and flat spot. My OEM potenzas still have good tread. I kept them on the OEM wheels in the event I'm forced to sell. I would recommend new tires.

·
Registered
982 Posts
car garaged or out in open 24/7? like was mentioned cracking is a sign it's getting time, one of mine is garaged few less miles and no signs of cracking as of yet, in service 5/17.

·
Registered
40 Posts
IMO, If they haven’t been exposend to direct sun, cracked, or some sign of damage they should be fine. I did Have a problem once, had two blowouts “same day within a hour” on some new looking COOPER tires, but the date code showed 7 years old. that was on my 73 camaro, stored inside, rarely driven.

·
Registered
277 Posts
car garaged or out in open 24/7? like was mentioned cracking is a sign it's getting time, one of mine is garaged few less miles and no signs of cracking as of yet, in service 5/17.

Original owner had them changed under warranty at 4k miles. Supposedly a garaged seasonal car before I owned it at 14k plus. 2k of my milage was the drive home. Averages 500miles a year now

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 16 thats at 17kmiles. I noticed cracking around the edge of the tread at the sidewall. Because it is low milage it also has had a lot of time to sit and flat spot. My OEM potenzas still have good tread. I kept them on the OEM wheels in the event I'm forced to sell. I would recommend new tires.
But you're not getting new ones...or did I miss something? Thx.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a '17, bought 8/17, that has 17,000 miles on it. I have same tires that came with it. What's the deal on actual mileage vs the sheer time the tires are on the wheels re getting new tires? I'm not looking to spend $1000s ahead of time but don't want to ask for a highway problem either. Is it just a matter of tread thickness? I've heard there's more to it, regardless of mileage, if the tires have been in the car for, say, five years (as of 8/22).
Tires usually carry a tread life and time warranty (for years sounds about right). I bought a set of winter skins when I bought my 17 in 17. They started cupping this year which created a balance issue so I’ll need to get a new set. Plenty of tread left on them though. Keep an eye out for cracking, etc and you should be fine, at least for a little while.
When you go to new tires, look for close out versions of the OEM. I got a set of four summer tires last year for less than $500 installed (I found them through tire discounter and Big O installed them). This was a set of discontinued Potenza’s (old model year I guess) and on clearance. Deals are out there.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My OEM tires are kinda buried at the moment but heres an image of the cracking. This one isnt the worst one but you can see it beginning to degrade
I could have kept running these for a while but traction started becoming an issue.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tires are supposed to grip the road. Old dry cracking tires wont grip as well as soft new tires...

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,889 Posts
Agreed, there is more to it than just tread. These are pretty much toast.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just had to replace my front tires because they were showing cords. I never saw it until I took it to a tire shop and they told me they were. They were Michelin PS4 summer tires that were on the car when I bought it. I replaced the rear tires earlier with BF Goodrich GeForce Comp II all-seasons (piece of [email protected]#$ on the SS, but were great on my Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec), so I decided I would pay the extra money for the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4s which seem to be better.

·
Super Moderator
8,862 Posts
Don't be like this guy.
Those cracks down the middle ain't so pretty either. No harm no foul I suppose, maxing out dollars spent if nothing else. Did get an email today from Discount Tire with a $110 off set of Michelins plus an additional 5% on their card. Not bad for anyone looking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are correct. I changed wheels and got new tires. I kept the oem tires on the oem set cause every SS owner has a pile of new and old parts...🤪
View attachment 298840
View attachment 298839
I'll try and remember to post a picture of the cracked OEM tires this weekend
I had a 19-yr old come up to me in Walgreens aisle y'day and asked if blue SS parked outside was mine. I said yes. He said his dad was trying to buy all the newer ones he could and hadn't been able to find many blue ones. He said his dad ran a tire store that did other work on higher prices cars and invited me to come by (also heads up a local Facebook meet and greet car group that I might join). I begged off on the sale but told him I might need some new tires and wanted to get another set of Potenzas. He said those were real hard to find. I didn't follow what he said afterwards about settling for something less. Your thoughts on high quality tire availability?

·
Registered
277 Posts
tirerack.com. Select your tire and size, it will show availability and quote you a price. You can compare that to the tire shop guy. You can also read reviews and do comparisons.

A lot of SS owners like Continental tires. I had a set on my truck. I liked the Potenzas on my SS and I'll probably be the only one. When I shopped for new tires I ordered Potenza Sport. I havent driven a lot of miles on them yet, but they have good grip even on a damp road.

·
Super Moderator
8,862 Posts
I was pleased with the Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires I put on my '14. The stock RE-050a's I thought to be lacking and loud. The PS4S are pretty awesome.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
My brother & I both have Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on our SS’s & they are awesome

1 - 18 of 18 Posts