Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Chevy SS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Has anybody experienced any issues with their timing chain jumping? My SS recently broke down on the freeway headed home. The check engine light came on and I had power loss. Initially the first mechanic that looked at it said it was the first fuel injector but it didn't fix it. Now the second who has more diagnostic tools is telling me the timing chain had jumped and I might need a new engine. My car is 2015 with 101,007 miles so it's past warranty.

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
It’s not unrealistic to happen at that high mileage.

While you’re in there might as well do a cam if you haven’t already. LOL food for thought.

·
Super Moderator
3,140 Posts
A belated welcome to the SS Forums @Rick_Sanchez86 !!!

Sorry for the bad news!!! At 101K,,, you are likely looking at a complete teardown and rebuild!! It would be the CORRECT way to go,, since you are already gonna be,,,, IN there!!

An old adage goes like,,,,

Never enough time or resources to do it RIGHT the first time,,,,,

BUT ALWAYS ENOUGH TO DO IT OVER!!!!

Another goes like,,,,

Anything worth doing is always worth doing twice,, three times,,,, four times,,,,,,,,,

Take the time,,, devote the resources,,,, dont skimp on anything,,, be patient,,, take NO shortcuts!!!

Jus Sayin!!! FWIW,,, I am turning wrenches for over 50 years now,,, thats my $0.02!!!

Good Luck!!

ES

·
Registered
584 Posts
I mean, I don't claim to have knowledge of every ls engine failure, but I don't know that I've ever heard of an ls engine jumping a tooth on the chain. I'd more expect to hear about broken springs or a lifter issue. How familiar with ls motors are these mechanics you're visiting? Have either taken the valve covers off to look in there?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I mean, I don't claim to have knowledge of every ls engine failure, but I don't know that I've ever heard of an ls engine jumping a tooth on the chain. I'd more expect to hear about broken springs or a lifter issue. How familiar with ls motors are these mechanics you're visiting? Have either taken the valve covers off to look in there?
I'm one of the guys that broke a valve spring early on. The car went into limp home mode and ran like 10 times worse than it should have when it happened. People up here were suggesting the timing chain at the time because of it. I've never heard of an LS timing chain failure, either.

I don't even know if these are interference engines or not.....

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm one of the guys that broke a valve spring early on. The car went into limp home mode and ran like 10 times worse than it should have when it happened. People up here were suggesting the timing chain at the time because of it. I've never heard of an LS timing chain failure, either.

I don't even know if these are interference engines or not.....
Virtually every ICE today is interference, the ls is as well.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I'm guessing this is why everyone suggests using the older LS2 style timing chain tensioner/guide instead of the plastic crap that comes on the LS3.
Is there guidelines on that sort of thing? I've got 115K on the clock and I'm not looking to rebuild if it's not running poorly. I'd love to see 200K before that.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Nothing mileage-related that I've seen. Just any cam swap always mentions to ditch the LS3 guides as they're prone to wear through. I suspect this might be the root cause above if it is indeed a jumped chain.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,473 Posts
'Never seen a jumped chain on a LS,...original Pontiac engines, yes, but no LS. I'd be more inclined to think its a valve spring. So, bottom line is , more diagnosis is needed.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Take it to the dealer and pay to have it properly diagnosed instead of places just guessing with your money. I’ve never heard of an LS engine jumping a tooth. That chain would have to be pretty stretched for that to even be possible. I have, however; seen the pin on the camshaft breaking allowing the cam gear to move.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yes unfortunately for whatever reason GM decided to put a cheap plastic tensioner on the LS3 chain and the can and do let go well under 100k. Seen a few pics of them broken in cam swap, fortunately they didn't not break and hit the chain. Sounds like in this case it might not be so lucky.

I don't understand why the design change, the Gen 3 motors (LS1/6 4.8/5.3/6.0 etc) had no such tensioner and will run fine for 300k miles.

Reactions: Vicarious_Lee

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello all,

Has anybody experienced any issues with their timing chain jumping? My SS recently broke down on the freeway headed home. The check engine light came on and I had power loss. Initially the first mechanic that looked at it said it was the first fuel injector but it didn't fix it. Now the second who has more diagnostic tools is telling me the timing chain had jumped and I might need a new engine. My car is 2015 with 101,007 miles so it's past warranty.
My SS has shy of 78k and the TIMING CHAIN SNAPPED on me so while everyone is claiming its impossible, take it from me...its possible to miss timing or to snap the chain. Like someone else said, take it to the dealership. Good luck and I hope you don't have to scrap the engine, and new one will be at 8k - 12k.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
It’s easy enough to check...have the dealer look at it. They’ll take the right steps to diagnose it correctly.

Me...I turn my own wrenches. I’d pull the valve covers and check everything on top. If that’s all good, the water pump and timing cover are coming off. If the two dots line up on the timing gears, then I know the chain didn’t jump.

Funny y’all mention the tensioner - my last year down, the tip had snapped off and was laying on top of the oil pump.

Dang that reminds me to order the Cloyes LS1 style. Never had an issue with those and thought I did last go ‘round.

Anywho - good luck, it’s worth saving! These cars are awesome!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

Def do a cam, My 2014 only has 6900 miles as it is only driven on nice days and on date nights. But, I did a cam and I love the difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts