Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I an thinking about trading OR selling my 2015 RH2 6mt with spare, sunroof and 31.000 miles for a CT4-V or CT5-V Blackwing. Anybody make the switch or have any friends change out? If so, what did you / they buy and why?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Have one manager in our company that has a CT4 - said it goes like stink. He came out of a CTS-V about 5 years ago, into a w-a-y overpriced S4 that was in for warranty work all the time.
So, he's an enthusiast, who has driven and admires my '16 SIM (auto no less), but has not owned an SS.
I see no problem with a CT4.

Life moves on, sometimes we want to drive something new. Go for it.

Finally (on a sidebar) in the last 7 weeks I have
Driven 200 miles to see and make an offer on a pristine 2900 mile '97 Camaro SS 6 speed MT. You can see my name on the list of bidders on the BaT site.
Bid on - but lost out on - an 1800 mile 2009 Shelby GT500KR 6 speed MT on BaT. You can see my name on the list of bidders on the site.
Got on a pre-waiting list (not even sure what there he^^ that is!) for a '23 Civic Type R.
In all cases I'm not selling my SS, just want something else to drive at this stage of my life.
NONE of these 3 cars drive the same BUT they have 1 thing in common that YOU have - a 6 speed MT.

So yeah, I say go for it if you can swing the price.

Reactions: RedhotFLSS

·
Super Moderator
8,482 Posts
4V pretty cool, not sure about size/backseat. Unfamiliar with turbo longevity. 5V is awesome but 100K or more with options. I'd supercharge the SS, have all kinds of power, and 90K in your pocket.

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
246 Posts
4V pretty cool, not sure about size/backseat. Unfamiliar with turbo longevity. 5V is awesome but 100K or more with options. I'd supercharge the SS, have all kinds of power, and 90K in your pocket.
This may strike some as kind of silly, but while I love the agility and composure of the CT-4VB (and the ATS-V), I simply couldn't live with the sounds it makes... not compared to a supercharged LS3 at full song. There are times the FEEL of the Caddies really gets to me in my musings, but then I remember the sounds they make... and I just... can't.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I've contemplated similar, although I have an auto and would rather have a stick. But if I had a stick LS3 SS, the CT4 is not enough to make me want to swap. Much smaller, and with a few bolt ons the SS would be about equally quick. IMO I'd much rather have an LS V8 over the TT6. Sounds better, easier to mod, easier to maintain. Even my SS being a slushbox, I just don't have enough pull towards the CT4 with a stick to seriously consider the swap. The SS is just too damn enjoyable.

Now a CT5 on the other hand, all bets off. That's a nice package. I did see one in transit on a dealer website indicating no markup (who knows if that will hold up) BUT it was an auto. If you can swing a CT5 BW financially (and not pay a 50k markup), then I say pull the trigger. You get the blown V8 and some nice performance goodies plus a few better features on top, and a new warranty. The SS is the last of it's kind for a Chevy, the CT5 same for a Caddy. If these were more traditional times with the car market, and I could get a stick CT5 at a GM employee price, plus 35-40k trade for my SS, I would probably jump.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
You have three great options (including hanging on to the SS and investing in good performance mods).

As a “replacement” for the SS, IMO the 5-V is the only real option. 4-V will feel significantly smaller (may not be a problem/factor for you) and as noted previously and in reviews the V6 sound apparently isn’t all that great even for a V6…again may not be a factor.

Ultimately only you know what you like and what compromises you can live with, but at least you already have the SS in hand. Good luck, it’s a good “problem” to have…:)

‘16 SSB, stick, roof and spare.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can't speak for your exact wants, needs, or situation, but the SS to me just feels like one of those cars that you'll regret selling later on after a few years. Rare and getting more so by the day. You can find comparables for anything if you look enough. This was made by a company no longer in existence and only had what.... roughly 12,000 brought over?

Just be sure to give it some long thought.

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Check out the Blackwing thread.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys and Girls - drove a 4 bw auto today = pretty freakin quick and nimble. A rare Emerald Green with both carbon fiber packs = looks very mean sitting still. They offered 40 on a 83,000 vehicle... anybody have interest on a 31,000 RH2 6mt / let me know.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THREAD UPDATE = the deal is done, 2015 RH2 traded for 2022 CT4-V Blackwing - well equipped including the ultra rare emerald frost green matte paint / 1 of 32 built with the discontinued greem... pics to come soon

·
Super Moderator
8,482 Posts
THREAD UPDATE = the deal is done, 2015 RH2 traded for 2022 CT4-V Blackwing - well equipped including the ultra rare emerald frost green matte paint / 1 of 32 built with the discontinued greem... pics to come soon
Congratulations. Sounds like a sweet ride. Look fwd to pics, driving impressions, what you love, what you don't love, etc. Don't be a stranger 😉

·
Registered
738 Posts
Pics I wanna see GREEN METH PAINT !!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you’re near Port Richie, it looks like they‘ve already listed it for sale. I agree with @JewaliciouSS, we need to see some pics.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you’re near Port Richie, it looks like they‘ve already listed it for sale. I agree with @JewaliciouSS, we need to see some pics.
YEP - that is my "old" ride... they seem to be in right price range as the car is very clean and low miles... jump on guys / girls = you won't be sorry.

Reactions: tlash

·
Registered
15 Posts
CT5 blackwing is literally the only car I’d consider giving up my SS for at the moment. But it’s just too rich for my blood.
Agree 100%! But remain very curious about how the CT5 BW handles and comfort level compared to my SS. The local Cadd dealer here in SE Denver claims no mark-up over MSRP but after ordering and putting up $1K - no clue on timing of delivery

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Agree 100%! But remain very curious about how the CT5 BW handles and comfort level compared to my SS. The local Cadd dealer here in SE Denver claims no mark-up over MSRP but after ordering and putting up $1K - no clue on timing of delivery
There is no comparison in handling between the two cars. There isn't much equal in any department for that matter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts