Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to create a Ram Air plate for my VCM intake. If you do so web searching, you’ll see that Rick Crawford came up with this idea about 8 years ago for the G8 and gained a 10th in the quarter just with this Lexan plate. I’m not worried about rain as my car is a fair weather vehicle and if I get caught in a pop up shower, I’ll pull over to prevent ingesting rain in my intake. What I’m a little concerned with is any negative cooling effects while driving in city by essentially making the top grill exclusive to the VCM. Rick didn’t seem too concerned with the G8 as he said the lower grill inlet provided enough air for the radiator. I’m interested in some SS owner thoughts.

I’m also wondering if I narrow the plate to allow air to also pass on the sides of the plate through the top grill to the radiator might be a better design for the street. Yes, not all the upper grill air would go to the VCM as the plate would be narrower but I think it would help out in stop/go traffic.

Another design In was thinking is to create the wide plate design but don’t take it all the way down to the crash bar so air can also under the plate to the radiator from the top grill. I would essentially leave a gap under the plate and above the crash bar for air direct to radiator. The thing I wouldn’t know is if this design concept would create turbulent airflow leading to the intake.

Attached are some photos for reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,960 Posts
Another thing Rick did was to put sealant of some kind on the sides of the radiator to keep air from going around it while it’s tilted back. Seals up the gaps and forces air through the rad.

Reactions: bourmb

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got the plate built and installed on the car as well as installing an Omega 44055 fast acting thermistor for relocating the IAT sensor to the VCM air lid. I haven’t tuned the car yet so I didn’t want to get on it too much so I haven’t noticed any difference in performance with normal driving.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interested in hearing your results once you get it fully back on the road. I took your lead and also covered the bottom of my VCM with both silver & gold heat reflective tape. I’ve had it on the car for about a week now and what a difference in throttle response and the ability to slightly accelerate going over 70 and have it drop down a gear. Definitely can feel a seat of the pants difference !!

Attachments

Reactions: bourmb

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thoughts on sealing the radiator? When you tilt it back, it no longer has the foam to "trap air" through the radiator... I was looking at some heat wrap foam to put in there

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thoughts on sealing the radiator? When you tilt it back, it no longer has the foam to "trap air" through the radiator... I was looking at some heat wrap foam to put in there
Good mention. I saw that gap and I want to seal it up ASAP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts