Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha....that makes me laugh. Anyway.

In the beginning of the drag racing season, I killed axles. Trying to get a better 60' has been the death of a clutch, axles, and now a rearend. It's an acceptable price to pay for me.

I broke at the track a few weeks ago. Big BANG, BANG, BANG in the rear when I tried to launch the ole rocket ship. I got pushed back, I figured another broken axle. It wasnt so, I could move. Big BANG if I applied too much throttle, but I could move. Fast forward to last night. I made some space in the garage and got to it. The normal things you have to do....drop the exhaust, drop the driveshaft, pull the axles. When I pulled the drivers side, the end in the diff was pretty chewed up. Thank goodness I keep buying used axle sets, right? I know I am waiting for those high hp axles. Back order. Anyway. I dropped the diff and split it. The fluid in the diff was silver, like the silver on the Tin Man. Never a good sign. The diff was turned so I could see a tooth or something as such against the ring gear. Odd place for a tooth right? I spun the diff and found the rest of the carnage. The spider on the drivers side.....cracked in half. Now we know. I drove the gears out and pulled the clutches out of both sides. One side was intact, not sure how much clutch material should have been on the clutches, but to me it appeared to minimal. I dont know what new ones look like.....dont believe what I say as gospel. The drives side with the broken spide, that was a different story. Straight up trashed.

The rear I just put in is from a 2014 Camaro SS manual trans. 3.45 gear vs the 3.70 I had originally. I've only driven it to the local mart a few miles away....and done a great smoky burnout. I only need this rear to work for a few days next month. Then I will pull the rear and install a new gear ratio and an Eaton TruTrac. My debate with myself is whether to install 3.73's or 3.91's.
Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Bicycle part Gear
Automotive tire Gear Rim Art Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Tread Automotive wheel system Tire Gas
White Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Font
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Everything included in these pictures fall into the catagory of 'things I don't want to see in my rearend'.
My own rear end is still in the factory defaut configuration of 'exit only'.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sorry to see your rear end torn up. I look forward to the responses in this thread! Thank you in advance for making your rear end the... butt... of these jokes!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Anything. At. All.

Heh heh anyways, man that sucks…hopefully it’ll hold together until you get the TruTrac in there, I hadn’t had any issues with the stock Camaro rear, but having an auto with a stock converter prolly helped with that. Back in my F Body days (stick cars), I went thru more rears than I care to count before I finally stepped up to a 12 Bolt.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,736 Posts
…some dingy‘ dip-chit texting. 💬
I have a Tru-track holding the door open in my third bedroom as I wait for a few more parts. Granted, I don't push mine anywhere near its limit, but I do haul a trailer now and then.
Great photos by the way 📸

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anything. At. All.

Heh heh anyways, man that sucks…hopefully it’ll hold together until you get the TruTrac in there, I hadn’t had any issues with the stock Camaro rear, but having an auto with a stock converter prolly helped with that. Back in my F Body days (stick cars), I went thru more rears than I care to count before I finally stepped up to a 12 Bolt.
I ate 2 10 bolts up in my F bodies. I'd damn near say it was burnouts that killed them. Or the 4k stall converter and spraying out of the hole.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,812 Posts
I ate 2 10 bolts up in my F bodies. I'd damn near say it was burnouts that killed them. Or the 4k stall converter and spraying out of the hole.
So did I!

Reactions: Broken041

·
Registered
474 Posts
Was that the OEM 3.70 or the 5th gen 3.45?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was that the OEM 3.70 or the 5th gen 3.45?
The OEM 3.70 was what I beat like a redheaded step child. She was a good one, but she won't be missed. I replaced it with a 2014 Camaro SS manual rear, 3.45. The vent had a different orientation was the only difference on the install. I used a longer piece of vacuum line so it didn't stress the plastic vent line too much.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Gotcha. I thought you blew up the 3.45.

I have a 3.45 that I switch out for 1/2 mile events.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I had a 12 bolt in mine 3 years later and never looked back, wasn't going to mess around with the 10 bolt on a stick car.

The rear you posted above looks like it's been passed around a Turkish prison...

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I almost forgot my first a/m f-body rear I had was a 9 bolt. Moser. Huge. Didn’t break that clucker lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
I broke my stock diff in the exact same way two weeks ago! Big bang and crunch crunch crunch. Car would still move but as soon as I gave it any throttle it starts to slip. I bought a 3.45 out of a camaro as well. Not sure when I'll get a chance to swap it out. I'm hoping the 3.45 rear helps me get a better 60ft. I can't seem to get any better than 1.78-1.8

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I broke my stock diff in the exact same way two weeks ago! Big bang and crunch crunch crunch. Car would still move but as soon as I gave it any throttle it starts to slip. I bought a 3.45 out of a camaro as well. Not sure when I'll get a chance to swap it out. I'm hoping the 3.45 rear helps me get a better 60ft. I can't seem to get any better than 1.78-1.8
Manual as well?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Only made one run so far on E85.
I thought a 1.72 was terrible. Track was just prepped and I did not build boost for over 10 ft. I guess it's kind of average from what I've read. Started from dead idle no brake torque. Last time I tried to load the trans I could not hold from pushing through the lights. That's inexperience. I'm ready for the drive shaft back upgrade. Still looking for the most efficient package. After all the one pc vibration shaft issues and cheaper ways to go I don't have my mind set on what actually works the best for all around use and drags combined. G-Force still looks like they have it dialed in for bolt in and optimizing a trutrack. Any help with what's the best way to finish off my driveline?
Receipt Font Material property Paper Pattern
Receipt Font Material property Paper Pattern

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your making good power in the fastest track in Michigan. What's your rpm going out the back? Will the 3.45 be too much? I'd believe moving to the Camaro diff increases the odds of survival. Then add an EATON. What I am led to believe, Camaro LSD isn't happy past 650hp. Axles for a stick car, slicks instead of drag radials.

I think after leaving the dual mass OEM clutch, that's when I started down the slippery slope. The shock to the driveline had nowhere else to go, so it found the next weakest link. Axles, LSD. Next it'll be driveshaft or transmission. For my plan I'd like to do a 3.91, but the RPM has me wondering. Using 4 gears in the 1/4 is acceptable, not 5.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Your making good power in the fastest track in Michigan. What's your rpm going out the back? Will the 3.45 be too much? I'd believe moving to the Camaro diff increases the odds of survival. Then add an EATON. What I am led to believe, Camaro LSD isn't happy past 650hp. Axles for a stick car, slicks instead of drag radials.

I think after leaving the dual mass OEM clutch, that's when I started down the slippery slope. The shock to the driveline had nowhere else to go, so it found the next weakest link. Axles, LSD. Next it'll be driveshaft or transmission. For my plan I'd like to do a 3.91, but the RPM has me wondering. Using 4 gears in the 1/4 is acceptable, not 5.
That’s why I stuck with the 3.27s in the auto. Right at the top of 4th thru the traps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts