Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Super Moderator
14,907 Posts
I found it interesting that the one thing they didn't like about the SS is the main thing I do LIKE about it. That being the "sleeper aspect" of the car. Partly why we ordered white instead of black as has been our choice in the past. Don't want the attention drawn to the car like the guys in the video. I'll be perfectly happy knowing what the car is and can do myself, I'm sure much like several other owners on this forum.

If someone wants that instant recognition they should go get the SRT or other brands as mentioned in the video.

I think it won't be long before the recognition of the SS will ramp up on the street. You can probably see it as a look of fear in the eyes of the beholders once we have a few more units pounding the pavement this summer.

Ok, through ranting now! :)

· Registered
1,344 Posts
I agree. One of the things I love most about this car is the fact that it's a sleeper. I don't want something flashy that every cop on the planet is going to be looking at.

I agree, I already have two of those and am looking forward to being able to go out on the down low and without be challenged at every light I stop at.

· Read Only
56 Posts
ozark: love your reply.

This video was entertaining. I love that the car is a sleeper. Just got back from my 1st real drive from Vegas to San Diego & WOW.. The car is fast as **** & handles awesome. I gotta learn how to do donuts LOL

· Registered
16 Posts
I was pretty disappointed with this one to be honest. The quality of Matt's work has always been a little inconsistent- some of his videos are great, others are just average. The Dillon Optics plugs aren't getting any less awkward either. This review seemed very average to me, there was nothing really meaningful said about the car, everything was pretty vague. It does burnouts, sounds good, goes well, handles well and has a nice interior- but the styling is too mature so either murder it out with black wheels or buy a Chrysler so more people look at you. I'm not expecting a Chris Harris or Carlos Lago quality review out of Matt but dissing a sleeper for being a sleeper is (ironically) pretty tasteless.

· Registered
823 Posts
We need to look at this from their point of view. Imagine you are a twenty something or even in your early 30s (I wish I was!). Now imagine you were designing the perfect large high performance sedan.

1)LS3 drive train - Check
2)Killer handling - Check
3)Good interior with every bell and whistle - Check
4)Great brakes - Check
5) Reasonable price (for what you are getting) - Check
6)Exterior should scream, "look at me, this is a high performance car!", or maybe "look at me, this is the same car that Satan drives on Saturday nights!". It will need 6 air scoops of which at least 2 must be shakers...ect.
I can't have that stuff? Then I don't like this car!

It has been a while :)()since I looked at life through twenty something eyes...

· Premium Member
2,493 Posts
We need to look at this from their point of view. Imagine you are a twenty something or even in your early 30s (I wish I was!). Now imagine you were designing the perfect large high performance sedan.

4)Great brakes - Check
6)Exterior should scream, "look at me, this is a high performance car!", or maybe "look at me, this is the same car that Satan drives on Saturday nights!". It will need 6 air scoops of which at least 2 must be shakers...ect.

A agree with everything you have said. With that I am 29 and really like the executive car look. It fits the job I am currently doing and everyone comments on the car as if it is an E class or BMW 5. That is one thing Chevy did right with this car. I love that you can granny around town and never know there is a LS3 under the hood.

//Nick

Reactions: Pinetree

· Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Sleeper aspect of the SS is what i've always loved, even the G8 was like this to me. before I even knew what it was it seemed like just another GM sedan, wouldn't give it a second look....now, that wouldn't happen.

· Registered
823 Posts
This is the car that my wife, the mother of my children (G-d help me) drives 5 days a week (I get it on the week ends:)).

The very first time she drove one of my cars was about 24 years ago. It was a full up SAAB 900 turbo sedan. The fastest one they made back then.(The stories I could tell about that car)

Anyway my wife was borrowed the car(we were not married yet) to run up to the corner store. Over 1 hour later she comes back with a big smile on her face. She then proudly tells me she has been racing a Corvette (pre 1982) all over town. Not just once you understand, but literally all over town!:mellow:

The moral of this story is that I don't need "Lead Foot Lisa" to be challenged by children in their ricers everyday...:wink: She needs no help with temptation!

· Registered
68 Posts

4)Great brakes - Check

The thing you left out though is 20 somethings have grown up hearing nothing but BS about how bad American made cars are bla bla bla etc.... So they see the Chevy badge and think it wont be "cool" enough to drive. Meanwhile its twice the car they probably ended up buying because it has a "cool" badge on it. Im looking at YOU Infinity G37.

· Registered
139 Posts
The thing you left out though is 20 somethings have grown up hearing nothing but BS about how bad American made cars are bla bla bla etc.... So they see the Chevy badge and think it wont be "cool" enough to drive. Meanwhile its twice the car they probably ended up buying because it has a "cool" badge on it. Im looking at YOU Infinity G37.
The G37, (now the Q50) is a train wreck now. They featured it in Motor Trend or Car & Driver a while ago. Pretty much said Inifinity ruined a nice car.

· Premium Member
44 Posts
I agree, I already have two of those and am looking forward to being able to go out on the down low and without be challenged at every light I stop at.
Agree, I've had three corvettes and they screamed COOL! But since I rebadged my SS with Holden badges, Everyone thinks it's a European Luxury Super Car. I just say "Yeah, it's cool!:wink:"

Reactions: Headrat and 1badss

· Registered
31 Posts
I very much like the blue pace car SS with the rally stripes. I had a new '07 Monte Carlo SS, straight red with silver rally stripes. Always got looks. Maybe some bolder colors next time around , a nice stripe package ,perhaps some different styled wheels too will make it more aggressive looking. I love the G8 front end styling, but prefer the SS back end.

· Super Moderator
5,937 Posts
I've owned one foreign car in my life 2004 Infinity G35 coupe my son in-law talked me into it and my wife. I always buy a car that lose's the least amount of value ie specialty cars Corvettes or other hipo vehicles. This was for my wife to drive fake dual exhaust to start with tires gone at 10000 miles wife driving not me, need new rotors and pads at 15000 miles and was told this is the norm. This piece of junk lasted almost a year I put 10000 down and got 3500 off and still lost 6000 dollars so much for the rising sun offerings.
z51vett
Doug

· Registered
139 Posts
I wouldn't recommend Infinity or Nissan (same company). Honda and Toyota make a solid vehicle. I've owned two Honda's for the last 11 years. I've done nothing but general maintenance on them (tires, oil, filters) before that I've owned Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. I have to say the Honda's have been amazing as far as reliability and quality. It seems like GM is now actually making better cars then it used to. But I still have to admit that I might not be interested in the SS if it wasn't for Holden. Maybe I'm wrong but I think they have a higher standard than GM had in the past.

Not trying to knock GM, over the last few years they have improved drastically but only time will tell. There's no reason they can't make better cars than anyone else if they wanted to.

· Registered
124 Posts
Still own a Honda Accord Hybrid (Japan manufactured) as a backup vehicle. Had it for 9 years, and we always laugh because even though we have owned it longer than any other car, we absolutely hate driving it.

If someone wants to learn about harmonics and drone, they should borrow this one. When my wife asked the service department about the ungodly vibrations and droning, they seemed to have no clue what was causing it.

When she asked me, I just told her "poor exhaust engineering, not worth fixing baby". Still would recommend over Toyota (about as exciting as laying on a beanbag and staring at the ceiling) and Nissan (I'ts a Skyline, not a G37, lol). Mazda used to make some good stuff as far as Japan is concerned, but they seem to have gotten real stale as of late.

Subaru I have owned and driven, I would strongly recommended, if properly maintained they are solid cars and well put together. Regarding their performance numbers, however, don't expect to duplicate any mag numbers, as you only get close to those dropping clutch at redline. (WRX : 4.8 0-60 dropping clutch at redline, 6.4 with fairly normal launch).

Honda is boring. But it is reliable and does the job. It's like eating sand while kissing your cousin, but it fits the bill for me when I need to drive without actually enjoying the experience, for utilitarian purposes.

· Registered
139 Posts
(about as exciting as laying on a beanbag and staring at the ceiling)

This made me laugh, that was an awesome way to put it!

Honda is boring. But it is reliable and does the job.
I would agree here, which is why I'm wanting an SS. I had an IROC-Z when I was 20 and loved it, so much fun to drive. The SS to me is the grown up version with all the extras.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.