Chevy SS Forum banner

701 - 720 of 778 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Do not talk about my kids.
Did not mean any disrespect toward your kids.
A general statement on how to get ahead in California is all.
I do find it interesting you think discrimination against other kids is ok based on their skin color.

Edit: I had a friend years ago who is white and he would put down Hispanic on government job applications to get a better chance at the job. It worked, that guy got hired and fired from all sorts of state and county jobs. He said they don't know the difference, it just works. It worked for Elizabeth Warren too.

In my book all this $hit is wrong, but whatever, I beat out a couple hundred people for my job on skill alone anyway ;)

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Pretty sure my personal views are clear .. I already said that I do not have a problem with reversing anti-discrimination language from the state constitution. People are easily offended, so I attempt to tread lightly.

I have to be the bad guy because I want my Native American children to have the opportunity to attend a university - in competition with "other students" who have better grades and SAT scores.
Understood.
Just so you know, I am not opposed to efforts to better balance the admission processes for all members of our society, I just adamantly think you should not do it by use of such blatantly hypocritical discrimination tactics. It is a very difficult challenge to be sure, but far from hopeless, and no one ever said freedom should be easy. Many have fought long and hard for the protections we have against favoritism/bias/racism/etc., I do not believe erasing the progress that has been made is the way to go about achieving the goal you seek (i.e. throwing out the baby with the bath water, so to speak).

The fact is, discrimination is just plain wrong. It always was, and always will be. Dressing discrimination up in politically correct language (or lack thereof) ultimately serves nothing but the promotion of cognitive dissonance, as I do believe the preponderance of folks advocating for it, do not really want (or believe) in its use for all the ugly things it can bring. It's somewhat like saying "YES, I do want to flagrantly use discrimination tactics, but only the "good" kind." Such ideas are naive and fraught with vulnerability for exploitation. History is a great teacher on such matters.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I am not trying to convince any body otherwise. I wont say anything more on the subject. You guys can have it.

·
Super Moderator
13,736 Posts
This thread has taken a really nasty turn and a couple of you are very close to a forum vacation.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
How long before the terms "master" and "slave" referring to clutch and brakes, (among other things) will be banned?
How about Master Bedroom and Master Bath?
I say it won't be long. Think of all the service manuals that will have to be destroyed.

·
Super Moderator
13,736 Posts
Then I suggest you just avoid clicking on it.
I don't really have that luxury unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
^^^
Pokey Joe got popped for Plagiarism but at least attended class...looking forward to 2024 Election and beyond with fresh Candidates.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
How long before the terms "master" and "slave" referring to clutch and brakes, (among other things) will be banned?
How about Master Bedroom and Master Bath?
I say it won't be long. Think of all the service manuals that will have to be destroyed.
How long? About two weeks ago.
Houston Area Realtors no longer using 'master' to describe bedrooms and bathrooms

Personally I prefer 'playroom' or 'ballroom' to describe the room with the big bed formally known as master bedroom, but doubtless that will offend someone who's extra woke.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #713

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
How long? About two weeks ago.
Houston Area Realtors no longer using 'master' to describe bedrooms and bathrooms

Personally I prefer 'playroom' or 'ballroom' to describe the room with the big bed formally known as master bedroom, but doubtless that will offend someone who's extra woke.
In 20 years, I've only had one black customer request that it not be called a "Master Suite". Ironically, they wanted it to be "Owners' Suite", as though that's any better, haha.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Not to mention the need to find new names for "male" & "female" with regard to various types of connectors.
I watched a comedy sketch some time ago where they changed a public toilet entrance to “us” & “them” then sat back with a hidden camera, lots of get out of my way or red faced embarrassment.

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,816 Posts
When we left Texas, in 1956, there was white and colored entrances and facilities nearly everywhere.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
When we left Texas, in 1956, there was white and colored entrances and facilities nearly everywhere.
Out of curiosity, how contentious were race-relations back then, compared to now? Being right at the beginning of MLK's work and pre-desegregation, was there much anger in the black community, or was it the accepted normal for the most part? I've always found the perspective of older black men to be quite interesting in terms of history and politics, though I'm guessing you were pretty young at the time.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
You got that right!

Quoted for the article: . . .supporters of the vote said the move, which would permit state discrimination based on race, sex, color, ethnicity and national origin, would “advance true racial and gender equity in this state."

Just spitballing here, but I suspect this will be applied to more than just the UC admissions quotas. I see a direct application for employment quotas based entirely on gender (including ALL the myriad of identities) and LGBQT as well.

Yep, we are officially in clown world here.
There is no doubt some bad discrimination that goes on in universities. I've had several relatives be denied admission even though they scored off the charts in tests, done buckets of community service, heck one was even an eagle scout on top of the aforementioned. The ironic part to me is I often wonder if the people who support kicking the most qualified kids to the curb hire the quota graduates when they need a heart/brain surgeon, hematologist/oncologist, defense attorney, dentist, etc etc, or do they seek the best of the best when their child needs eye surgery or their parent needs a quadruple bypass. Tricky subject no doubt.

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,816 Posts
Out of curiosity, how contentious were race-relations back then, compared to now? Being right at the beginning of MLK's work and pre-desegregation, was there much anger in the black community, or was it the accepted normal for the most part? I've always found the perspective of older black men to be quite interesting in terms of history and politics, though I'm guessing you were pretty young at the time.
I was very young(4), but, my parent really, just accepted it as normal, until he found out different on a trip to Kali to visit his father. Even then, they taught us to accept it and make the best of it. He was a preacher, so, we were taught to love our fellow man.
Their view was typical of most everyone that we knew.

701 - 720 of 778 Posts