Chevy SS Forum banner

661 - 680 of 748 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think this is an interesting point. I've dealt with a lot of things with authorities over the years that would certainly come across as racist were I a black man. Pulled over for no discernible reason, ordered out of the car at gun point, illegal searches, etc. I've even had off-duty officers come to my house to threaten me. It's not systemic racism in the police departments, it's a systemic power-trip in my experience. I'm just a plain, middle-class, white-collar white guy. I generally wear khakis and a collared shirt. Like Smirnoff, I have serious issues with authority now. There's a systemic problem, but it's not racism.
Agreed, some police like to beat up bad guys on the street for fun, doesn't matter what color they are. Sometimes good guys get in the way by mistake I'm thinking. Not sure what you guys are up to that it happens to you guys all the time, it's never happened to me. Where do you hang out? lol
I wish someone would start showing videos of white guys getting shot by police too. It happens all the time, in fact statistics show it happens more to whites than blacks. I also think it's a good thing in some cases. ;)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Agreed, some police like to beat up bad guys on the street for fun, doesn't matter what color they are. Sometimes good guys get in the way by mistake I'm thinking. Not sure what you guys are up to that it happens to you guys all the time, it's never happened to me. Where do you hang out? lol
Trust me, I ask myself the same thing.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Your likelihood of an unpleasant encounter is also much higher if your race is committing a disproportionate amount of the crime or if you're living in a high-crime area. While I disagree with profiling as a whole, I also recognize that it's impossible to dismiss that fact at some deep level in a cop's head, white or black.

Police reform is definitely required, but reform is also needed in the black community or culture if we expect to get anywhere. I see plenty of calls for the former, but any voices supporting the latter are shut down. White people saying it are called racists and black people saying it are called Uncle Toms.
On the same note, it ALWAYS starts with the person resisting and fighting, and lately even taking a tazer. I know this doesn't usually justify killing the guy, but still.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Your likelihood of an unpleasant encounter is also much higher if your race is committing a disproportionate amount of the crime or if you're living in a high-crime area. While I disagree with profiling as a whole, I also recognize that it's impossible to dismiss that fact at some deep level in a cop's head, white or black.

Police reform is definitely required, but reform is also needed in the black community or culture if we expect to get anywhere. I see plenty of calls for the former, but any voices supporting the latter are shut down. White people saying it are called racists and black people saying it are called Uncle Toms.
It is definitely the virtual "third rail" to even mention it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Curious as to what the actual stats are for male vs female crime.

I would hypothesize the reason 97% of police killings are male are because police feel a male is a greater threat to their safety than a female.

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
My dad taught me "you can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride" when it comes to interacting with police.
Same here. My father taught me to be nice, compliant, and follow directions because at that exact moment, the cop is judge, jury and executioner. He taught me if I disagree with the cop, take it up with the judge with an attorney by my side. One on one, or worse one on two, with cops and you lose every time. You gotta pick your fights and I see too many people giving attitude to cops then wondering why they get in more trouble, my 1st wife being one of those attitude givers. I've had some cop friends, none at the moment, and most were nice folks with a really bad job that got to them after years on the job. Bad cops are real and your chances against them are less than stellar on the street.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Curious as to what the actual stats are for male vs female crime.

I would hypothesize the reason 97% of police killings are male are because police feel a male is a greater threat to their safety than a female.
Naw, it's 97% men who go criminal to the max.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
There's definitely a systematic problem with police use of force and tactics in general. We can find notable incidents involving white cops with white people (Vegas incident comes to mind). Here's one from two days ago: St. Joseph police officer on leave after reportedly getting into an off-duty confrontation There's definitely a power trip issue and the whole "thin blue line" brotherhood BS makes it worse because now cops seem like they're oppressed by the public. There's great cops out there for sure. But there's got to be better hiring practices to identifty bad apples (like the leg day skipping roid monkey in that link) as well as legit internal affairs departments that can fire those who dishonor the badge. The police are here to serve us the public, not treat the public like an enemy on the battlefield.

But the consideration is how much more likely you are to be pulled over if you are black. The # of a-hole cops out there might be a constant but if your likelyhood of being pulled over is much higher, your likelyhood of an unpleasant incident is thus much higher.
I think part of the problem is the unions that protect the bad apples. That piece of filth who killed George Floyd had 17 complaints against him. I don't know what they were, nor do I know if they were all valid. What I do know is that all 17 couldn't be wrong, and guy with that many complaints on his record shouldn't be on the street dealing with the public. Plenty of other jobs he could have been doing within the police department.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #670
“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
― George Orwell, 1984

🤬

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,798 Posts
You guys are late to the party. I found this out as a child. There are quite a number of things preached, by society, but are not practiced.

Reactions: wilkin4 and ESindon

·
Registered
950 Posts
A good friend asked me this past week about The Great Depression. I suggested to him that he try to find an Encyclopedia (remember those?) from mid last century to try to understand how it went down. Revisionists revile Herbert Hoover, and praise the Tyrant FDR as the Savior. As a virtual dictator, he attempted to pack the Supreme Court to do his bidding, interned thousands of American citizens of Japanese descent, and many more things if one only cares to look. The rescue of his "New Deal for America" came in the form of WWII. History is written by the winners, and it can take some scholarly sifting to determine how they change our view of the past. This becomes more difficult as the people who lived back then are no longer around. The first thing is just forget history and not teach it in the Goverment Schools. Then get rid of all those old books laying around, and all you need is some key strokes to manipulate past reality.

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,798 Posts
Watch the Documentary Series" The history of America, in color.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
A good friend asked me this past week about The Great Depression. I suggested to him that he try to find an Encyclopedia (remember those?) from mid last century to try to understand how it went down. Revisionists revile Herbert Hoover, and praise the Tyrant FDR as the Savior. As a virtual dictator, he attempted to pack the Supreme Court to do his bidding, interned thousands of American citizens of Japanese descent, and many more things if one only cares to look. The rescue of his "New Deal for America" came in the form of WWII. History is written by the winners, and it can take some scholarly sifting to determine how they change our view of the past. This becomes more difficult as the people who lived back then are no longer around. The first thing is just forget history and not teach it in the Goverment Schools. Then get rid of all those old books laying around, and all you need is some key strokes to manipulate past reality.
I've got a lot of old books on various conflicts. For most, I've got competing books, one written from the winning side and one from the losing side. Sometimes, the varied view points are surprisingly in agreement while others make you question if you're reading about the same conflict. I love the older books in so many ways. Heck, a lot of the children's books I read to my kid are 70+ years old, and the political incorrectness when viewed through a present-lens is fascinating. It's also amazing how some of the classic children's tales have been so twisted, manipulated and softened over the years.

I'm also seeing a lot of history classes now that aren't using any of the actual texts, but are using someone's interpretations of the text instead. Reading the Declaration of Independence or Constitution itself is quite different than reading someone's interpretation of it. Reading the actual authors' notes and comments on why they wrote certain things is equally telling, and usually at odds with whatever modern interpretation our kids are fed.

I'm at an impasse as my child is now school-age. I'm not happy with the revisionist history and many of the other concepts being taught, so do I home-school or private school instead? Or do I use public schooling and teach the opposing view point at home so the kid learns to approach things with a more open and critical mind?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
And speaking of history....movies and cartoons being pulled, others coming with warnings, nonstop propaganda in the mainstream media, rioting in the streets, protests numbering in the thousands, historical statues being pulled down, "If we don't get what we want, we'll burn the System to the ground." was the quote I heard yesterday from a BLM Leader. Next the Marxists will be burning books in the middle of main street. Any of this sound familiar? I know it does to us older folk and the educated. People better wake up in hurry.

Not to mention Shawn King saying statues of the Lord must come down because they're racist. Let me think...hmmm...how many millions of people over the centuries have died in the name of religion? Yes, people better start thinking straight real quick.

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Soon books could be removed due to "covid concerns". Sounds awfully familiar to other countries that have gone this way (North Korea, China, etc. etc.) and attempted to control information.

Thought the virus living on surfaces wasn't supposed to be that long....well...at least last time I heard about it. They keep changing their minds.
Ok lets not leap to book burnings just yet. But that said, he shouldn't bother speculating until the libraries reopen. And it's not like most people borrow books from libraries anymore, particularly those under age 70.

You are correct in that we're getting varied direction on how long it lives on a surface for. At one point early in they said a couple days on cardboard and up to two weeks on hard surfaces. But with more learning, the latest I've been reading says surface contact is not really a big driver of infections, its direct contact via respiration. If surface contact is a concern and book lending considered a feasible path, then I'd think something like passing a book under a UV lamp could probably take care of at least the outside contamination.

Reactions: MTdiehard

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ok lets not leap to book burnings just yet. But that said, he shouldn't bother speculating until the libraries reopen. And it's not like most people borrow books from libraries anymore, particularly those under age 70.

You are correct in that we're getting varied direction on how long it lives on a surface for. At one point early in they said a couple days on cardboard and up to two weeks on hard surfaces. But with more learning, the latest I've been reading says surface contact is not really a big driver of infections, its direct contact via respiration. If surface contact is a concern and book lending considered a feasible path, then I'd think something like passing a book under a UV lamp could probably take care of at least the outside contamination.
As a construction professional whose products include construction of Libraries...I can tell you that your assumption of library usage is way off based. That demographic is very incorrect. Just saying......

My leap isn't to book burnings (that's a few more leaps down the road...not many though). It's more to further information control and control in general. They're already using the guise of health concerns to control people's worship and religion, assembly, ability to generate income and movement to name a few. Am I really leaping that far to the concept that closing libraries and access to books is controlling information? Agreed, that due to the internet there are certainly alternate sources for information. However, I'm sure we can all agree that the internet is not pure and is hardly free from editing/narrative/propaganda/censorship.

Would agree that some method as you've suggested could possibly be used to "sterilize" books. Would truly hope that if science proved out that there was a concern about the virus living on surfaces and that we should be worried about further transmission, that something like this would be employed rather than simply shutting things down. But honestly...I have no clue anymore. Feel like I'm living in an alternate universe last few months.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #679

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Well, here's some of the latest insanity to come out of "liberal" Commiefornia.
I guess when you're planning on discriminating against people, it's best to make it legal first. Doesn't sound so liberal to me; sounds downright fascist. This isn't just some kooky idea, this actually just happened !

California Legislature Votes to Strike ‘the State Shall Not Discriminate’ from Constitution, Opening the Door to Legalized Discrimination

Equality before the law is at the heart of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

661 - 680 of 748 Posts