Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start documenting everything I do from now on with the car. It's a little late but better than never.

We bought the car in 2016 CPO with 3,000 miles, the car was 100% stock. Once it hit 30k miles I decided to learn to tune using Hptuners with the SS. I figured if it gets faster I'm doing something right and what better to start with than a 100% untouched car.

The car stock ran [email protected] (4800 da, 59* out), with just doing some transmission tuning the car went [email protected], I tuned the engine side and went back to the track and ended up running [email protected] ( 5500 da 70* out). These passes were all done at the same track in El Paso, Tx the elevation is around 4000ft above sea level.

We ended up moving to North Carolina and first time out at the track I went [email protected] first pass, messed with the tune some more for the elevation change, and went 12.5 later that night.

I ended up putting a rotofab on and ported intake manifold and ran [email protected] (car spun some so slower 60ft). I race a 100% stock SS that pass and he went [email protected]

Got a drag pack and went [email protected] with the rotofab, ported intake manifold, and flex-fuel.

Tossed headers on the car and ended up with the best MPH of 119 and best ET of 11.79.

I deployed to Afghanistan shortly after that last track day.

Once I came back I tossed a circle d converter in the car and went 11.5 and broke the rear end the same pass. I never got to go back to the 1/4 but it went [email protected] in the 1/8.

I pulled the converter and sold it, I tossed the stock converter back in the car but switched to a posi modded 3.45 Camaro rear end. I enjoyed the stock converter and 3.45s better than the circle d and 3.27s for being a daily driver.

A few month later I ended up buying a used lsa, tossed it on the car while I was working from home due to covid. First time out the car went [email protected] on a 2.85 upper and [email protected] on a 2.5 upper.

I swapped blowers for a jokerz 90mm ported LSA and added the forced induction 10mm lid spacer, I took it to the track and went [email protected] (2.85 pulley) and [email protected] (2.75 pulley) and the fastest MPH so far on any pass. The DA was within 100 from the first time it went to the track with the LSA.

Fast forward a few months I finally bought the DSX AUX pump so I can stop having fuel pressure drop issues. Before I installed it a few of my friends told me to make a video of the install. So for now on I'll be documenting everything else I do with the car.

My goal is 10.5 stock heads, stock cam, stock converter, full weight. The car is my wife's daily driver so I don't want it to become a pain to drive all over the country.

Here's the AUX install video.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,587 Posts
I'm going to start documenting everything I do from now on with the car. It's a little late but better than never.

We bought the car in 2016 CPO with 3,000 miles, the car was 100% stock. Once it hit 30k miles I decided to learn to tune using Hptuners with the SS. I figured if it gets faster I'm doing something right and what better to start with than a 100% untouched car.

The car stock ran [email protected] (4800 da, 59* out), with just doing some transmission tuning the car went [email protected], I tuned the engine side and went back to the track and ended up running [email protected] ( 5500 da 70* out). These passes were all done at the same track in El Paso, Tx the elevation is around 4000ft above sea level.

We ended up moving to North Carolina and first time out at the track I went [email protected] first pass, messed with the tune some more for the elevation change, and went 12.5 later that night.

I ended up putting a rotofab on and ported intake manifold and ran [email protected] (car spun some so slower 60ft). I race a 100% stock SS that pass and he went [email protected]

Got a drag pack and went [email protected] with the rotofab, ported intake manifold, and flex-fuel.

Tossed headers on the car and ended up with the best MPH of 119 and best ET of 11.79.

I deployed to Afghanistan shortly after that last track day.

Once I came back I tossed a circle d converter in the car and went 11.5 and broke the rear end the same pass. I never got to go back to the 1/4 but it went [email protected] in the 1/8.

I pulled the converter and sold it, I tossed the stock converter back in the car but switched to a posi modded 3.45 Camaro rear end. I enjoyed the stock converter and 3.45s better than the circle d and 3.27s for being a daily driver.

A few month later I ended up buying a used lsa, tossed it on the car while I was working from home due to covid. First time out the car went [email protected] on a 2.85 upper and [email protected] on a 2.5 upper.

I swapped blowers for a jokerz 90mm ported LSA and added the forced induction 10mm lid spacer, I took it to the track and went [email protected] (2.85 pulley) and [email protected] (2.75 pulley) and the fastest MPH so far on any pass. The DA was within 100 from the first time it went to the track with the LSA.

Fast forward a few months I finally bought the DSX AUX pump so I can stop having fuel pressure drop issues. Before I installed it a few of my friends told me to make a video of the install. So for now on I'll be documenting everything else I do with the car.

My goal is 10.5 stock heads, stock cam, stock converter, full weight. The car is my wife's daily driver so I don't want it to become a pain to drive all over the country.

Here's the AUX install video.
Can't make heads or tails of this, so can you please clarify?

"I pulled the converter and sold it, I tossed the stock converter back in the car but switched to a posi modded 3.45 Camaro rear end. I enjoyed the stock converter and 3.45s better than the circle d and 3.27s for being a daily driver."

·
Registered
890 Posts
How was the Camaro 3.45 modded? It should have been an LSD from the start.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't make heads or tails of this, so can you please clarify?

"I pulled the converter and sold it, I tossed the stock converter back in the car but switched to a posi modded 3.45 Camaro rear end. I enjoyed the stock converter and 3.45s better than the circle d and 3.27s for being a daily driver."
Of what? I removed the circle d converter put the stock one back in, when I swapped converters I also swapped differentials.

Google posi mod, the stock SS rear end is also an LSD doesn't mean it's a good LSD.
The posi mod adds more clutches and a spring to put tension on them with the increased clutch area. The factory LSD is subpar and won't last with a car making power, you'll start to have the clutches fail and only one tire will get power. JRE POSI MOD

·
Registered
498 Posts
I love how you detailed the timeline of mods getting the car into the 10s and then you just drop this little nugget "The car is my wife's daily driver so I don't want it to become a pain to drive all over the country."

Your wife is pretty cool.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good solid mod list, great results. Especially with stock heads and cam. With that power level I would suggest the stock converter be furnace brazed for strength and less internal leakage.
Stall and drivability not affected

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where are you in NC? I live in north Raleigh, work in Sanford currently.

I'd love to hit the track with you sometime.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So you went 11.1 and 10.8 using 93 octane?
correct, my car went 9s on 93. This car only made upper 500s, not anything 93 cant handleThis is my wife's daily driver so I didn't want her to have to worry about meth or anything when I'm deployed.

I love how you detailed the timeline of mods getting the car into the 10s and then you just drop this little nugget "The car is my wife's daily driver so I don't want it to become a pain to drive all over the country."

Your wife is pretty cool.
She messed up by telling me she didn't enjoy going to the track anymore because the car never gets faster back when it was bolt on.

Good solid mod list, great results. Especially with stock heads and cam. With that power level I would suggest the stock converter be furnace brazed for strength and less internal leakage.
Stall and drivability not affected
I'll be swapping the stock converter for the factory LSA converter soon.

Where are you in NC? I live in north Raleigh, work in Sanford currently.

I'd love to hit the track with you sometime.
I'm at Fort Bragg.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Looks like you filled up at the Sheetz on Ramsey St.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I’m hopeful of getting into 10s now. Other than the 3.45 the engine setup is the same.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Same way I have a modded Camaro SS 3.27? Swapped the diff for a TruTrac but the ring and pinion and housing are all stock GM ?

I’m guessin LOL

·
Registered
458 Posts
A modified factory Camaro carrier is still junk. My modified 3.45 rear did not last very long at all until it started doing one leggers. It maybe lasted a few hundred miles and a few passes down the track. I replaced it with a TruTrac and it has been great since. Instead of having to take it apart twice, the best move is to put a TruTrac in right away.

Do you remember the DA on the 11.50 pass? That's rolling for the mods you had at the time.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Add the JRE billet caps while you’re in there.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Add the JRE billet caps while you’re in there.
Are these the correct caps you're referring to for the Eaton True Trac Diff core? I've been sitting on my 'Eaton True Track' for a while and I'm looking to have it installed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like you filled up at the Sheetz on Ramsey St.
You're local? It's the only place with E around here.

I’m hopeful of getting into 10s now. Other than the 3.45 the engine setup is the same.
With a decent tune it should be feasible. What pulley do you have? I went 11.1 on in a + da when another person localish went 11.5 with a lighter car and converter.

A modified factory Camaro carrier is still junk. My modified 3.45 rear did not last very long at all until it started doing one leggers. It maybe lasted a few hundred miles and a few passes down the track. I replaced it with a TruTrac and it has been great since. Instead of having to take it apart twice, the best move is to put a TruTrac in right away.

Do you remember the DA on the 11.50 pass? That's rolling for the mods you had at the time.
I feel like it's hit and miss on the rear ends. I have a car that I tuned stock untouched camaro diff plenty of 1.5 60fts has been running 10s for 3 years and still no issues even with 130k miles.

The da was -80 on the 11.5, I wish that differential didn't break so I could of made a full pass that day.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had some spare time yesterday after finishing up a 6gen so I threw the ss on the dyno. 6* of timing picked up 90whp on 70% ethanol. I'll post a video of the dyno pull once I'm back at my house and it's uploaded.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Had some spare time yesterday after finishing up a 6gen so I threw the ss on the dyno. 6* of timing picked up 90whp on 70% ethanol. I'll post a video of the dyno pull once I'm back at my house and it's uploaded.

View attachment 289404
That’s awesome!!! Right now in the 1.36 g/s at wot I’m at like 6-8 degrees.

I have 2.50 upper

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Your thread title says it all. This car and the associated mod-madness is more addicting than any prescription pain pills that I've ever taken.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You're local? It's the only place with E around here.
I live between Fayetteville and Linden. There also is a Sheetz in Lillington and a place in Lumberton with E85. I don't drive mine much, but you might see me at Cars and Coffee. It is the second Saturday of the month at Millstone Theater in Hope Mills.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts