Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Had the same issue with my lines after my last road course track day. Hmmmm.... have to repowder my wheel now too.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Can you provide any details on your oil cooler setup? What setrab core did you use and do you have any oil temps from track days? Thanks
I have PTFE with AN fittings running to and from the factory oil cooler location with an Improved racing block in place of the factory oil cooler. I used a Setrab 20 row Series 9 cooler. PN# 50-920-7612.

I have not had a chance to rune a HPDE since the install of the LSX and oil cooler. However, after a few canyon runs, temps peak around 235 whereas they were easily 280 before.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Very nice set-up, and ironically, that's almost the same NA package I've been contemplating. Love your trans oil cooler.

When I began my mod plan, I opted to prioritize the front seats and wheels. Since that entailed a set of Recaro ErgoMed's and Forgeline SC1's; that alone crimped my budget. Since then I have rat-holed a few of the same BMR, ARH, OTR CAI, Spyder, and some other parts. My warehouse aka man-cave is filling up. I was just about ready to break out the ink pen for the new engine; that is almost a carbon copy of yours', and I got cold feet! I mean, I know what that package runs, so I decided to keep to my ancillary build list; placing the engine/trans back on the rear burner.

Next up is a complete suspension and brake system upgrade. Like everything else; since I'm fairly anal about quality, it will include a few more zero's on the backside of the root number.

Anyway, I'm from the San Diego area, so I recognize some of those locations in your photos. I didn't know that E85 was available over there, and thanks for providing some tips on the parts you selected. I have taken note of your tuner/mechanic, so I may well off-load some work to his business.

LaMesa is a stone-throw away (in relative terms) and I used to live right off Lake Murray Boulevard back in the Cretaceous Period. Man, that area brings back memories of my wilder days. :devil

BTW; you were wise to finish your build before the new landlord takes over. Wives don't take kindly to mega-$k upgrades; they're funny that way. :ban:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Saber you need to do a build thread once you start putting it together, even if someone else is doing most of the work for you. From what I can tell yours is going to be a total makeover with about every possible mod completed.

2016 SSB, stick, hole, spare

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
6/12/2018 Update:

Car has been performing so **** well lately I knew it was time for something to finally give up. Well, that time is now.

Last Saturday I pulled the car out of the garage for a quick wash before the MavMan SoCal Chevy SS Meet #8. Took her for a quick trip around the block to get some heat in the motor with no issues. However, when I returned to my driveway I was greeted by a nice little puddle of red fluid dead center in the garage. Uh oh.. I took a peek underneath to discover that I was slowly dripping transmission fluid from the bell housing area. I immediately get on the horn with Abo @ Smartech Auto to see if he'll take a look at it for me so I can make the event/race that day hoping it was a quick fix. Loaded er' up on a flatbed and sent her on her way. Abo calls me back a couple hours later and he discovered that it was leaking from the inspection hole and it was indeed not going to be a quick fix. Bummer. I still made it out to the event though and had a great time. It sure was hard watching everyone hit the AutoX course knowing my car was sitting naked on a 2post lift 150 miles away.

I told Abo not to work on it anymore on Saturday and to go home and get some rest. (He had the flu.) Well, come Monday he and his assistant, Faris, made quick work of dropping the trans to discover the carnage inside. I had somehow managed to crack the snout on the FTI converter, fry the pump, and leak fluid all over the place. Abo was quick to get FTI on the phone to see if they would warranty the damage and it was concluded that they could not. Another bummer. Today (Tuesday) Abo took the trans to a trusted transmission shop to get the pump bearings and all new seals replaced. Luckily they are able to work on it right away and it will be done this week. FTI also agreed to rebuild the TC for me for a fee and I'll be sending it off to them to get completely rebuilt. My only hope is that they have a quick turnaround time and can get my TC back to me sooner than later. It's hard not having my racecar to drive.

It's hard to tell what really failed here. Not sure if it was the TC that cracked first taking the trans pump with it, or vice versa. Either way it needs to be fixed right. I'm quite thankful to have the backing of such a great performance shop and for all the customer service they have provided me over the years. I simply cannot recommend them enough. Head over to SmarTech Auto in La Mesa, CA for all your LS powered needs. No job to big or too small. Abo has years of industry experience and is truly a gifted tech.

I've included some pictures below of all the carnage as well as some photo shoots from my good friend at 3PS Media.

·
Registered
195 Posts
While it's down pull that FAST off and drop in a ported MSD, I've read all kinds of good stuff about them. Love your setup btw !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
While it's down pull that FAST off and drop in a ported MSD, I've read all kinds of good stuff about them. Love your setup btw !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll likely put on an MSD when the new cam goes in.

OOPS, did I say that out loud? LOL

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What kind of spring compressor is this?
JackTech? I need a good stand up unit like this in my life.

I haven't the slightest clue. LOL this is my tech's equipment.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I think it's time for a little update:

It was just my luck that a few weeks before HoldenRun in Las Vegas that my car would have problems. Yet again I was greeted with a little puddle of transmission fluid coming from the bell housing area. After a deep sigh and a couple of phone calls, the car is on it's way back to SmarTech auto for Abo to go over it. After dropping the trans yet again he discovers that the pump bearing had somehow failed which led to a tremendous amount of heat, so much so it blue'd the inside of the snout, which in turn completely ate away at my new converter. Less than 500 miles and 3 months on this one. Well, only choice was to fix it. A new (used) trans pump was installed along with a new converter from FTI (which they warrantied) and Abo, albeit begrudgingly, covered the install for me. Boom, she was back on the road just a few days before HoldenRun.

HoldenRun 2018 was an absolute blast! It was nice to see that after all the effort that goes into it we were able to throw such a great event. Hopefully we'll see even more cars next year! (this year was around 130) I'll throw some pictures below. The event wasn't without its casualties though. And unfortunately I was one of them. I got hit with a gigantic mix of rocks and gravel on the way to Vegas and my windshield suffered the consequences.

As for the car, I've been having some issues with oil consumption under high RPM (high vacuum) downshifts and I suspect something in my heads just isn't right. I'm gonna tear the top end off of her and have the heads gone through. Who knows, while it's out there could be some upgrades happening :devil:devil:devil.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Quick Update:

Just got her back from MaverickMan Carbon. New splitter is ON! Seriously beautiful. She'll be going under the knife here in a couple weeks to prep for LS Fest West. Max Effort NA here we come! Stay tuned for Marilyn 2.0. Lots of changes coming.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well what do we have here?

...sooon.....

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
In the interest of transparency I'm going to explain some of the headaches Marilyn 2.0 has been. Because of a conflict between the former shop that built the car and I (not getting into it here), I've moved onto Specialty Performance out in Canoga Park, CA. The main tech there, Edwin, was the lead technician from D3 Performance. Anyone in the CTS-V community will know exactly about D3 and the monster cars they would build there.

During the overhaul of the suspension and new top end that's going on the LSX there were a lot of neglected and misrepresented parts that were on the motor and car. I'm going to list them here:

• Water pump was reused off of an obviously much higher mileage motor. It was oxidized far more than the rest of the engine components and suffered from bearing play.
  • The cam bolts were of the wrong grade.
  • The cam gear and chain were severely stretched and look to have been reused off of an older motor. There was about 4 degrees of play in either direction. Not to mention it was an LS3 timing gear on an LS2 chain.
  • The incorrect cam thrust plate was used. The LSX blocks have a specific 6 bolt retainer plate.
  • The head studs used were incorrect. Again, there are stud kits specific to the LSX block that are much more expensive. Which is probably why cheaper ones were used.
  • The flex plate bolts were loose and thus caused elongation of the bolt holes.
  • The 3 top transmission bolts were loose and one was completely stripped.
  • The crank bolt (which is single use; TTY) was obviously reused.
  • The cam and main bearings are showing wear indicative of a higher mileage motor which means they were probably not replaced during the engine's rebuild. This is speculation, but I think it's true. Luckily they're within spec and will be good to go for a while.
As you'll see in the pictures below, the car is almost entirely disassembled. I'm hoping this is the end of the surprises we find. Unfortunately this tacked on another couple grand worth of parts, ARP hardware, and labor onto an already extensive build process. But I'm not one to skimp and want things done correctly. I have to give a shout out to my good friends over at Boost District and HoldenPartsUSA. They've really hooked it up with awesome customer service, great pricing, and most importantly FAST ship times. They got me all the parts I need in a hurry.

After all is said and done I really have to tip my hat to Specialty Performance. The guys there have been extremely transparent and have walked me through this entire process so that I know exactly what's going on with my car and how its built. This is a 100% change from the previous shop I worked with. LS Fest West is in 2 weeks and the car, mark my words, WILL be there to go #FullSend.

Check out these pictures below for a little taste of what's being done. When she's out I'll go over a full parts list.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Sorry to hear about the shoddy work from the other trusted shop but looks like you found the right one. Looking forward on hearing the results from this rebuild.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
This thread was an interesting read and a real eyeopener.:huh: I've started my build, so I'm always intrigued by the perils of builds and in particular; with engine builders'.

Its good to know you're satisfied with Specialty Performance as I've considered them for some of my work.

·
Registered
568 Posts
anyone know who does similar work to ERL. Since they are gone I figured someone would pick up where they left of with the superdeck mod

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sorry to hear about the shoddy work from the other trusted shop but looks like you found the right one. Looking forward on hearing the results from this rebuild.

Should be a ripper! thanks.

This thread was an interesting read and a real eyeopener.:huh: I've started my build, so I'm always intrigued by the perils of builds and in particular; with engine builders'.

Its good to know you're satisfied with Specialty Performance as I've considered them for some of my work.

Seriously a great shop. They're busting their buts right now trying to finish the car.

anyone know who does similar work to ERL. Since they are gone I figured someone would pick up where they left of with the superdeck mod

Dart does block resleeving and they've been around for a while. It's a shame ERL no longer does LS motors. Their work was fantastic.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts