Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 'hankerin' something like this was maybe in my future life. I have been so tired with the life we have to lead here in 'Calizuela' that a couple of years ago I started looking East for relief. By East I mean like half way across the country. Get away from the 'Left Coast BS'. Sooo, a couple months ago I got on 'zillow.com' and plugged in a few places in areas that had our views of how life should be. Texas was the target. I think I hit a 'bullseye'. So this past weekend I took my realtor friend and I on a trip to Abilene, Texas. It was cold, near freezing, and drizzling and very overcast. Not nice at all. Once we had conversations with a few of the native Texans, that weather did not matter at all!! Matter of fact things started warming up in the hearts of both of us. We were starting to experience 'Texas Friendly'. Yes, I told our famous SSForum moderator of my trip and where we would be and when. So, my realtor friend and I head out to the prospective property Saturday morning and proceed to inspect the place with the seller's realtor doing the 'splainin'. I was boppin around the inside doing a 'facetime' conversation with my wife back home in Cali, so she could see what I was looking at and compare with what we had seen on the internet. My presentation to her was much more in depth that what we had seen on the internet. And my discoveries made this home much more desirable than originally thought. While going room to room, I noticed a tall fellow making conversation with the two realtors. I asked him if he was the owner. He very politely said 'no'. Then my realtor said, "but he owns an SS also". I almost had an accident in my pants. that's when I realized it was none other than our famous "Pinetree". My wife got to see the whole thing on 'Facetime'. So she got to meet him too. How cool could this be?? Two old guys, only 11 days separated in age, been conversing for about five years, and never met until then. Now that is being 'Texas Friendly'. We spent a couple hours still at the 'ranch' and then went to lunch at one of Pinetree's favorite spots. Boy O boy that was good! We talked for a very long while at the restaurant and then departed. During our talk, Pinetree gave me a good insight on life in Abilene. I would say a beginners(mine) view point. I already subscribe to the City Chambers weekly activities guide. It is very impressive for a town of about 120,000 population. I think in a day or two I will be making a complete lifestyle change decision. The magnitude of which is truly life style altering. Just the thought of transporting a 47 year collection of 'stuff' 1500 miles boggles my mind. Yep, 47 years in the same house. Not to mention finding someone to transport my machine shop equipment for less what it's worth!! But then I think about where it would be going. Into a 1200 square foot shop instead of 990. Having ALL our cars out of the weather due to the house having a nice two car attached garage also. I would probably need some goats to keep 2 1/2+ acres of weeds under control. I would actually have a 'spare' bedroom or two!! It has four real nice bedrooms. The guests would actually have their own bathroom too!! And room in the living room for everyone to have a comfortable seat!! How much 'gooder' can it get?? Ain't got many years left, but the move might extend that. And we would have an 'old friend' in the name of Pinetree to talk about how things used to be!! May God Bless Texas and thank you Pinetree for the friendship you extended to us.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Congratulations! I'm within a year or so of retirement and I've been trying to convince my wife to leave this Arctic tundra to relocate somewhere warm. This has been the worst February on record in Omaha. With the snow piles and humongous potholes around town that will need fixing, it could be months before the SS gets out of hibernation. :frown

·
Super Moderator
5,406 Posts
I too have been considering a warmer climate, and @Headrat may soon have a couple of extra bedrooms. Hmmm... ;)

·
Premium Member
13,256 Posts
Do it. :wink

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Congrats, my take Nor/Cal Holden isn't losing one of our founding members, more simply you are inviting all of us to move to Texas too. I can confirm the entire contents of my Liberty safe fit in the SS' ample trunk.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Texas is great and California money goes a long way in Texas. It goes so far that Austin may feel way too similar to Berkeley for some.

But Abilene is closer to, and more like, N Mexico than Austin...so welcome to the South West buddy. Ski Ruidoso when you get a chance.

·
Premium Member
6,838 Posts
Sweet!
Leave the stuff.
Take the SS.

Yup can always get more stuff :grin

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I thought about Texas for a retirement location then realized I was going to be waaaaay too close to my sister-in-law. Wish I was kidding. AZ is my target but I'm very happy you found some SS brethren!

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Texas is great and California money goes a long way in Texas. It goes so far that Austin may feel way too similar to Berkeley for some.

But Abilene is closer to, and more like, N Mexico than Austin...so welcome to the South West buddy. Ski Ruidoso when you get a chance.

I am 99% certain on this one, Austin cannot technically be in Texas, it's the eastern most point of California. Been there on business many times - no different than being in Berkeley, CA or Boulder,CO. :eek

·
Super Moderator
2,106 Posts
Do the **** thing Headrat.... Had my doubts and bailed out of the Golden State in 1999... Sad because there is truly beautiful scenery in CA, but I came to the mid-west in and my life was truly and drastically altered for the better. Missed California soooo bad, I have been back there zero times. Look us up in the Sooner State. --John

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sounds like you've found where you want to make your last stand. I can vouch for Texas as it was my home for over 12 years. Moved back to New Mexico (Now New Mexifornia), and may someday end up doing a U-turn back to TX. As many know, Texas was it's own Republic before joining the US, and it shows! Definitely a different feeling in the air and in the people. I vote: Go For It!

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do it. :wink
Sent in my offer this afternoon. Now the wait. The owner lives in Switzerland!! To make life easier in the near term, I requested all the furnishings and appliances that were present this past weekend along with the riding mower!! There was not much furnishings there but would make a move in easier than waiting to ship my 'Beverly Hillbillies' moteef that was rejected by Fred Sandford!! My shop equipment shipping will get scary as for the cost. Reliable will probably handle the cars. Now the wait!!

·
Super Moderator
13,242 Posts
Well, I'll just say again here that I was the one that felt humbled and honored to finally meet the illustrious @Headrat - the man who sent me the photo of my SS being checked in at Benicia Port when my dealer had no idea where the SS was or when it would arrive. Sure raised their curiosity when I sent them a copy of the photo, but wouldn't give away the secret of how I got it.

@Headrat. it really was an honor to meet you and your friend. I truly hope this deal works out for you in the way that is best for you. It's a shame the weather was so nasty. Would have loved to show you around the area while you were here.
I'll say again - let me know if there's anything I can help with, and in the meantime, you take care my friend!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Headrat, I grew up in Texas and hope you enjoy it there. My one and only weekend in Abilene was visiting a college friend in 1974 on my way out of state to take my first job out of college. I liked it. My one and only request - please please please don't vote like you are from California.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Congratulations Jere,

I lived in TX (Houston area) from 1986-2001, then married a woman living in Chicago and moved there, then in 2008 moved to SoCal when her job was relocated. We are here 3-4 more years max. About the amount of time the new governor will need to fully step on his crank. One nice thing about TX, in addition to a lot of good people, is doing business there. You are as good a your word and your deal, no introductions or special relationships needed, and a handshake means at least as much as a signed contract. And the government pretty much leaves you alone.

When I left TX I sold my machine shop, welders and other really heavy stuff as well as quite a few firearms (moving to Chicago). It was mostly stuff, which I didn't think I would need again (or be allowed to have) and which didn't seem as important as personal relationships. It turns out that I have purchased a few of these items again as the need arose, raced sports cars for 10 years with tow rig and enclosed trailer, and accumulated a pile of other stuff. I will likely sell much of it again when we leave the peoples republik. We are down to 4 cars, one truck and 6 motorcycles now - for two drivers.

You have certainly been a positive influence on this forum, I remember the annual car carrier shipping threads. And as was the case with Pinetree you sent me photos of my 2015 SS arriving at Benecia. My dealer, Guaranty Chevrolet in Santa Ana had no clue when the car was coming and kept asking where I got the photos. I told him I had connections.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Once we had conversations with a few of the native Texans, that weather did not matter at all!! Matter of fact things started warming up in the hearts of both of us. We were starting to experience 'Texas Friendly'.
Glad you had this experience! When foreigners (anyone from out-of-state) visit, they almost uniformly remark about how friendly are Texans. In the big cities, we're getting an influx of people who never heard of nor do they believe in the be-nice-to-everyone guideline that was instilled in most of us. Not sure that R. Heinlein's "An armed society is a polite society" is the reason, it's just the way we are.

Headrat, I don't know you but from what you write you may easily just fit right in. LMK if you move, I'll send you a bumper sticker for your other car. Never deface your SS with a bumper sticker, oh the humanity.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yep, 47 years in the same house.
Really a great post, enjoyed reading. I retired last year, and at some point will move out of Miami, but like you I have been in the same house for 41 years. The wife and I both say if we move, the furniture and most stuff will not move with us, all new furniture for the new place.

Hope it all works out for you, will be a big adventure.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts