Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll test this myself, but asking here in case anyone has already done it. I have a new set of GM TPMS sensors (13581559) for a set of new wheels. The TPMS valve stem nut is coming via 4 TPMS service kits that include the nut and were >$2 each vs $5 for just the nut from GM. The next step is to install the TPMS sensors on the wheels and then drop the wheels off at the tire shop for the tire mount/balance. I'm wondering if I can test the new TPMS sensor before a tire is installed. i.e. will the trigger tool work and the sensor begin transmitting if the sensors are at ambient pressure? I expect they will. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I did this when testing new sensors for my winter wheels. It just showed up as 0 psi in the DIC, but it confirms the sensors will pair up with the car.

-

·
Premium Member
15,024 Posts
Very important to do when buying off Ebay or other untrusted sources. Old stock, you know, dead batteries!

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
^^^^what he said^^^^ , This part number is shared with many GM vehicles, but dooooo have a shelf life because of the battery. I would purchase mine from a dealer with a busy parts dept to ensure refreshed stock and maximum battery life....

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did this when testing new sensors for my winter wheels. It just showed up as 0 psi in the DIC, but it confirms the sensors will pair up with the car.
-
Asked and answered. Thanks so much for the feedback, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Very important to do when buying off Ebay or other untrusted sources. Old stock, you know, dead batteries!
^^^^what he said^^^^ , This part number is shared with many GM vehicles, but dooooo have a shelf life because of the battery. I would purchase mine from a dealer with a busy parts dept to ensure refreshed stock and maximum battery life....
Ordered from a large GM dealership directly out of Michigan. Berger Chevrolet who runs gmpartsnow.com. Buying from a GM dealer vs another marketplace, such as ebay/amazon/rockauto etc, does not elevate the trust level any for me.

Each sensor arrived in its own sealed ACdelco parts bag as many GM parts do. There are lot codes and such on the packages, but no production dates. I have no reason to expect they aren't new, but will test them before tires go on.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more thing. Per ACDelco, the TPMS sensor used by the SS is not very widely used. It is only used for the Caprice, SS and Corvette.

ACDelco Parts

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It worked. The bare sensors paired to the car no issue confirming they are all good. The DIC just shows 0 psi for each and complains about low pressure 4 times (once for each sensor). Paired back the winter tire sensors afterwards. Wish the honks could be turned down. My neighbor came over to ask what was wrong from all the honking.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
It worked. The bare sensors paired to the car no issue confirming they are all good. The DIC just shows 0 psi for each and complains about low pressure 4 times (once for each sensor). Paired back the winter tire sensors afterwards. Wish the honks could be turned down. My neighbor came over to ask what was wrong from all the honking.

How you got it to ignore the current sensors?

Also, run into a guy at a local swap meet that cuts them open and installs & solders a new battery, $10 @.

Sent from my Droid Hotspot using TetherLG4G

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How you got it to ignore the current sensors?

Also, run into a guy at a local swap meet that cuts them open and installs & solders a new battery, $10 @.

Sent from my Droid Hotspot using TetherLG4G

I believe it only allows 4 registered sensors at a time. So once you learn the new sensors, there is no need to "unlearn" or ignore any other sensors that were previously paired. These are supposed to correspond to the positions of the wheels on the car and the re-learn process guides you through each wheel. The re-learn procedure is in the owner's manual. You use the DIC to put it in learn mode, then it honks the horn. It will ask to learn the front left wheel, so you go to that wheel with the trigger tool and trigger the sensor. Then it honks confirming it learned that sensor. Then it will ask for front right sensor, etc until all 4 sensors are learned. Then it honks a bunch more times, just to make sure everyone around thinks you are stealing the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also just tested four new sensors that I have. I just laid them on the ground about 3 feet from the tire's valves, and used an "EL-50448" activating tool to teach the car which sensor is on which wheel. Once 'relearned', my dash picture showed all 4 tires at zero psi (since they were not in the tires yet). So I believe they are all working.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Welcome kever!!

·
Premium Member
7,057 Posts
Tire shop can do it. I had one out of four bad in a bunch for my GXP.

·
Premium Member
15,024 Posts
I also just tested four new sensors that I have. I just laid them on the ground about 3 feet from the tire's valves, and used an "EL-50448" activating tool to teach the car which sensor is on which wheel. Once 'relearned', my dash picture showed all 4 tires at zero psi (since they were not in the tires yet). So I believe they are all working.
Yup, they are working fine; just put them on the ground next to the tire and relearn. 3 feet is pushing the range a bit.

This is a wise thing to do BEFORE installing them; especially if you buy them online or from a trusted source ... and MANDATORY for you sleezebay shoppers since a lot of stuff on sleezebay is closeout/old stock/grey market/sketchy/knock off/counterfeit. Gotta watch AMAZON too; especially stuff not sold by Amazon themselves, and then for low volume SKU's you still have to be cautious.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
Yup, they are working fine; just put them on the ground next to the tire and relearn. 3 feet is pushing the range a bit.

This is a wise thing to do BEFORE installing them; especially if you buy them online from a trusted source ... and MANDATORY for you sleezebay shoppers since a lot of stuff on sleezebay is closeout/old stock/grey market/sketchy/knock off/counterfeit.
exactly what I did, next to running tires .. took all but 30 seconds .. then removed and relearned running tires …
loaded tires on truck, took to shop for installs .. $15 per unit, no rebalance as tire location was maintained …

I bought on-line through GMparts, on sale 50% ..I hope them sensors aren't old .. couldn't find dates …

Much less than dealer estimate of $180 to "diagnose" + $80 install new sensors + new sensors .. probably around $500 ?

And all that after buying 5 wheel set .. 3 fronts + 2 rears .. mint rims, new tires .. for about $800 …
owner had switched to aftermarket sets .. his loss, my gain … :smile

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks for this!

you dont need the tool unless your testing before install.
after install just let some air out till the car beeps to activate it for that location.

·
Super Moderator
14,056 Posts
Nope. Tool is required to relearn positions on the SS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts