Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 473 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well this is scary:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4231925-tesla-massively-delays-u-s-title-registrations-cars

One must compare the fact that except for Tesla (direct sales by manufacturer) dealers are responsible for registrations not the manufacturer.

Drawing on my experience, dealers who 'delay' registrations and title transfers 'do it' for only two reasons:

1- incompetence of business manager/title clerk.

2- active delay due to cash flow problems: ie: using the floorplan, extended warranty, tax and fee money to pay other bills to keep the lights on because the checkbook is strained. In the past I have seen this many, many times. Next thing you know the dealer's doors are shut with no warning or the inventory disappears virtually overnight because they are "out of trust". Twice in my life I have seen live and in person a convoy of car carriers show up unannounced to haul away the inventory.

Go to the tesla forum https://model3ownersclub.com/ and read all the complaints about this.

A major problem for many of the purchasers has been on financed cars and delayed paperwork causing late payment/credit score issues.

My take: cash flow inadequacy.

It amazes me Elon has been able to keep this going ... :storm: :blowup:

... and if it ends badly and you bought into the Tesla Kool-Aid what do you do with your car when it breaks or you want to sell it ??? Ask a SAAB owner !!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
In my humble opinion the Tesla situation has been a stock market pipe dream from the start. That said, the whole financial system seems to work that way now compared to years and years ago when we bought stock in a company we believed in and let it ride for 40 years. So many companies do things to look good right now instead of betting on the long term.

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my humble opinion the Tesla situation has been a stock market pipe dream from the start. That said, the whole financial system seems to work that way now compared to years and years ago when we bought stock in a company we believed in and let it ride for 40 years. So many companies do things to look good right now instead of betting on the long term.
AMEN

Poignant example:

GM

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... also ask a Bricklin and DeLorian owner ...

Forget the stock aspect. A lot of people thru their 401K's, index and blended stock and bond funds as well as well as their own direct holdings will feel the pain of a stock market driven by "todays news", twitter posts, 'expert' analysis commentary and focus on singular quarterly results.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Interesting thread......

A good friend of mine that I worked with, and have known for 40 years, has decided to put his whole life savings, and 401K into Tesla stock. I was shocked and asked him why, and he said it is the future and he wanted to invest in an eco friendly company, to help save the planet. He did buy a Nissan Leaf electric car, said he could not afford the Tesla....

I then reminded him about putting all your eggs in one basket, and the need to diversify, to no avail. Then I told him about another friend I had, that put all his retirement money in his company, Arthur Anderson, he worked there 35 years, and had over a million dollars in the account. During the financial crisis a few years ago his company went under, and did not survive, he got ZERO dollars back for his retirement. All the employees have a large class action suite against the company, but they will never get any money.

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
Model Y will fix everything.

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Model Y will fix everything.
:lol2:

... but the Model 3 was supposed to make every 2 share owner of Tesla stock a millionaire ....

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting thread......

A good friend of mine that I worked with, and have known for 40 years, has decided to put his whole life savings, and 401K into Tesla stock. I was shocked and asked him why, and he said it is the future and he wanted to invest in an eco friendly company, to help save the planet. He did buy a Nissan Leaf electric car, said he could not afford the Tesla....

I then reminded him about putting all your eggs in one basket, and the need to diversify, to no avail. Then I told him about another friend I had, that put all his retirement money in his company, Arthur Anderson, he worked there 35 years, and had over a million dollars in the account. During the financial crisis a few years ago his company went under, and did not survive, he got ZERO dollars back for his retirement. All the employees have a large class action suite against the company, but they will never get any money.
This is so, so very sad. From many perspectives.

Illogical thinking in general; not just illogical financial planning such as this is why 40% of retired Americans have ZERO savings and their only source of income save handouts is their meager Social Security checks.

On a more incendiary note (only to a very few here hopefully ... I know a few are here) I came across this gem yesterday:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jxUzp9SZ6-VB-4wSm8sselVMsqWZrSrYpYC9slHKLzo/preview#heading=h.z7x8pz4dydey

... stupid is as stupid does.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Ask a SAAB owner !!!
I was a SAAB owner, i believe GM honored the warranty for a couple years at other dealers if i remember correctly, though it would be serviced by people who didn't even know GM owned SAAB.

No dealer near me so I mostly worked with indy mechanics. Or the Lotus warranty, AKA, do it yourself if you want the car back this year.

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was a SAAB owner, i believe GM honored the warranty for a couple years at other dealers if i remember correctly, though it would be serviced by people who didn't even know GM owned SAAB.

No dealer near me so I mostly worked with indy mechanics. Or the Lotus warranty, AKA, do it yourself if you want the car back this year.
I should have been clearer:

Saab's built AFTER GM ... the Victor Muller death march and funeral.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
Tesla is the IBM of the future. Musk takes and uses every technology at his disposal.
BUT, just like IBM no longer being the grand-master .. in the future, Tesla won't be the only player, maybe not even the biggest.

read .. economics do drive Tesla.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/07/tesla-shanghai-china-model-3/

Should the snowflakes harm Tesla in the USA, without a doubt, China will be most happy to lay out the red carpet.
Ohhh wait .. China is already working on that red carpet, regardless ...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Tesla is the IBM of the future. Musk takes and uses every technodlodgy at his disposal.
BUT, just like IBM no longer being the grand-master .. in the future, Tesla won't be the only player, maybe not even the biggest.

read .. economics do drive Tesla.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/07/tesla-shanghai-china-model-3/

I think you are right with that leveled criticism.

I also think that's part of why Elon has diversified into the battery manufacturing (gigafactory). Who knows in the future maybe we'll see a badge on the back of the Cadillac that says "powered by Tesla". Much like the Isuzu "Handling by Lotus" badges.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
I think you are right with that leveled criticism.

I also think that's part of why Elon has diversified into the battery manufacturing (gigafactory). Who knows in the future maybe we'll see a badge on the back of the Cadillac that says "powered by Tesla". Much like the Isuzu "Handling by Lotus" badges.

IMHO, Musk is a genius ..
I can accept a CTS-4 (AWD) powered by Tesla and my homes powered by Tesla.
I specially like the idea of SOLAR ROOF TILES and energy storage ..

Specially with today's news .. PG&E is prepping to file BANKRUPTCY!

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
... so far the solar roof tiles are proving to be vaporware.

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I heard the same. But when i heard it, i thought about the GM bailout. I think they are trying to scare the state into not putting them on the hook for the recent fires.
They want the regulator(s) to allow them to surcharge their customers to pay for the damages. Need State and regulatory approval to do so.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
They want the regulator(s) to allow them to surcharge their customers to pay for the damages. Need State and regulatory approval to do so.
Yeah i heard a couple weeks back that the investigators thought bored hunters/farmers/persons/ used some of their equipment for target practice and so without a suspect now they feel the people of California owe them for the damage.

It's quite a pickle.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
Give it time ..

When 1st bought RAM for my IMB-XT (computer around $10,000), it cost some $2000 for 1 Mb, 10 Mg drive was $2,000.
Today, laptops for $300 and up, RAM 1Gb (1,000 Mb) costs $10;
my desk computer with 4 x 4Tb drives, under $3,000
My current phone has 64 Gb storage ..

It takes time, marketing, production innovations, and product acceptance to plunge the cost.

Today...
Tesla plans to offer four styles of tile, but currently, only two are available: smooth glass, for a contemporary look, and textured glass, which is designed to mimic the look of asphalt shingles. Each style of glass tile comes in both solar and non-solar tiles, which have different prices (the solar tiles produce energy, the non-solar tiles do not).

Tomorrow .. well, is still being written ...

PG&E and Edison will surely help speed it up with their incompetence and arrogance ...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Its been 2 years since the announcement. I wouldn't call it vaporware till we are 5 years out. Any new product takes years to get going.

Companies with less cash announce new products early to get an influx of investors to make it happen.

Companies with more cash announce new products very late cause they have the cash to develop and release when its done, less consumer/investor pressure.

Companies with loads of cash announce and deliver the next day (like apple), no pressure from outside forces.

1 - 20 of 473 Posts