Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Reactions: wilkin4

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
CYP, thanks for this input (I missed it while I was "composing" my previous post.) October could be a fallback or makeup session for us if June falls through, or a follow up. Great to hear about your experience with the crew, even with your long trip.
Our run some years back was from the Detroit area, so about 300 miles shorter in total, but in a then ~25 year old 911 (actual pics). It was very entertaining to say the least. I'm ready for another one, and if my replacement rear wheel for the VF does not arrive in time we may take the Porsche out again...
Bring the Porsche if the VF is not ready, you’ll fit in with the other gearheads. Not everyone in our crew are driving Holdens anymore, some have gone over to the dark side. :devil

Attachments

Reactions: Yoram

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Bring the Porsche if the VF is not ready, you’ll fit in with the other gearheads. Not everyone in our crew are driving Holdens anymore, some have gone over to the dark side. :devil
Thanks!! Very sad to watch good souls lose their way... I hope they will find salvation somehow.
VF now has the missing wheel so no excuses from that standpoint. However I kind of dropped the ball on this due to other stuff so a trip to TOTD last weekend of June unfortunately will not happen for us. We definitely intend to do it in October, hopefully with the famed NC crew if possible. Let's keep each other posted...

Reactions: cyp

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I believe I'll be wandering down from Ohio for this. Should be there a day or so before.
I’m planning on being there couple of days earlier also. It’s a 650mi. drive for me and it will be nice to get in early to take in some scenery before the mountain driving fun begins.

·
Registered
475 Posts
All right Ya'll, less than a month away! I plan on arriving Thursday evening and taking off Saturday. There are plenty of rentals still available in the area. We'll be staying in a house a little NW of Robbinsville. If you are in the area, feel free to stop buy for a beer and to shoot the $hit.

As it gets closer, I will update the thread with any meet up locations that have been posted over on FB.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Have a group of gearheads going to be in Deals Gap Friday around 830-9am to make a few runs on the dragon.
We might have lunch here .....https://tapoco.com/dining/
.....then plan an afternoon drive.
Our crew is staying near Bryson City.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
So close yet so far away...

Will be in the time zone...unfortunately have to take care of the Boy in Athens GA area while wifey is away in Boston attending Daughter's Martial Arts Competition at MIT that weekend.

Already set to call it quits from the Permian Basin Oilfields...been getting my back right with Acupuncture and trips to Chiropractor this past week. Yesterday old colleague from Missile Range offered me spot on his Atmospheric Science Team at local Italian Winery-Pizzeria.

Hopefully can stay retired and attend Tail of the DragonSS 2020 with the required Michelin 4S tires that I plan to purchase after Easter?

Reactions: cyp and wilkin4

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Will be in the time zone...unfortunately have to take care of the Boy in Athens GA area while wifey is away in Boston attending Daughter's Martial Arts Competition at MIT that weekend.

Already set to call it quits from the Permian Basin Oilfields...been getting my back right with Acupuncture and trips to Chiropractor this past week. Yesterday old colleague from Missile Range offered me spot on his Atmospheric Science Team at local Italian Winery-Pizzeria.

Hopefully can stay retired and attend Tail of the DragonSS 2020 with the required Michelin 4S tires that I plan to purchase after Easter?
Family comes first, maybe you could sneak away for a drive up to the mountains while so close.

Too bad you can’t make it this year and already have the Michelin 4s tires for the run. I just put Michelin PSS on for this trip, would like to compare the two if you were around.

Good luck with everything, hope to see you next year, God willing.

·
Super Moderator
14,481 Posts

Rats! No more trips down I-20 and you didn't ever stop by for coffee. :frown

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Mountain weather changes daily...........

OCTOBER 14 - OCTOBER 20

Mon
10/14
75° / 43°
Partly sunny
Precip
0%

Tue
10/15
77° / 45°
Cloudy
Precip
10%

Wed
10/16
76° / 46°
A couple of t-storms possible
Precip
35%

Thur
10/17
78° / 47°
Mostly cloudy
Precip
0%

Fri
10/18
78° / 48°
A couple of showers possible
Precip
30%

Sat
10/19
67° / 32°
Mostly sunny
Precip
5%

Sun
10/20
66° / 40°
Mostly sunny
Precip
20%

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
All, we had high ambitions to join the pilgrimage this fall but with all the other travel we need to catch our breath and stay put.
However, any Florida folks considering a stopover in the Greenville SC area in either direction please let me know - it would be fun to meet real life faces and SS's behind the storied screen names...

·
Registered
Fixing My Own "SS"
117 Posts
I'm just running across this. As happenstance (serendipity?) has it, I may be in Asheville that weekend.

Are there any specific time/place details that someone who doesn't do Facebook should know?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm just running across this. As happenstance (serendipity?) has it, I may be in Asheville that weekend.

Are there any specific time/place details that someone who doesn't do Facebook should know?
nothing has been posted yet about a link-up time and location but from what I gather, it is usually at the parking lot at the base of Fontana dam. Once something gets posted on FB, I will cross-post it here as well

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

nothing has been posted yet about a link-up time and location but from what I gather, it is usually at the parking lot at the base of Fontana dam. Once something gets posted on FB, I will cross-post it here as well
The facebook page hasn’t had much activity lately.

There will be a small group, 8-10 meeting Friday 10/18 @ Deals Gap motorcycle resort around 9am. Some SS, GTO,G8 owners and couple of outlaws, Corvette, Caddy, BMW and one Ferrari owner.
We will drive tail of the dragon early before traffic gets heavy, maybe a couple runs then stop for lunch. After lunch we make a plan for some more driving around the area and take in a scenic view somewhere along the way.
Anyone is welcome to join our group for the day.
Some spirited driving takes place and we will always get to a rest stop to wait for some of the crew to catch back on.
Fun times with this group for a number of years driving some twisty mountain roads.
Cell phone service is sketchy at times in the mountains and we use 2 way radios to relay messages to others along the way in our group.
Saturday we make another plan for an all day trip on more twisty mountain roads, lunch and repeat the fun stuff. :devil

·
Registered
475 Posts
Copied from the FB posting. Hope to see ya down there.

"Saturday we'll be meeting at the base of the dam as usual at 9am. Be sure you go to the BOTTOM of the **** and not the top. A few of us will be getting there early to help secure the spot and see others roll in. The usual shenanigans will take place for about an hour and we'll roll out around 10am in groups of three (fast, normal, slow) to traverse the tail. Meet up at the gathering spot at the end of the tail, more shenanigans then back down the tail with a stop at the Killboy Shack. There are 3 good places for Lunch, The Hub and Tapaco Tavern in Robbinsville, as well as a Wildwood Grill in Fontana Village. Personally, If you head towards Robinsville, you can also catch the Cherohola Skyway. If your following me, you'll end up at Tapaco Tavern, as we go there every year. Don't forget there is ZERO cellphone coverage in this area so check maps before to familiarize yourselves. Thanks and looking forward to seeing everyone next week!!

Also, there will be smaller groups doing 'Things' in the mountains on Friday, so if your around, you might be able to hook up!"

Reactions: cyp
21 - 40 of 72 Posts