Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Wife wants to head down there at the end of June, if the weather is nice. If not, maybe we'll try this event, or maybe we will do both. I'm always down for a road trip.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
That area in the fall is very crowded, for me spring or early summer is better.

I was thinking about going next month.....:serious

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have no access to Facebook (by choice) but would be interested in joining either the Oct 19 event or a June outing. We are about 3 hrs away. Does the Oct 19 plan exist anywhere besides FB?
Please share your ideas/plans if you're open to company. We will bring our own car...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I have no access to Facebook (by choice) but would be interested in joining either the Oct 19 event or a June outing. We are about 3 hrs away. Does the Oct 19 plan exist anywhere besides FB?
Please share your ideas/plans if you're open to company. We will bring our own car...
Maybe we could plan our own June outing on this site, I will not go in October....

·
Super Moderator
5,468 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Maybe we could plan our own June outing on this site, I will not go in October....
Might work. What dates folks have in mind? We should firm up soon, accommodations get booked...

·
Registered
773 Posts
I am retired, so any date would work for me....
I am pretty sure my wife can join weekend of June 29-30. I should be able to do solo the weekend of June 22-23 and at least Sunday June 16.
Not retired yet, but approaching...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I am pretty sure my wife can join weekend of June 29-30. I should be able to do solo the weekend of June 22-23 and at least Sunday June 16.
Not retired yet, but approaching...
June 29-30 could work, my wife still works, so if she can't make it I will go alone....:grin

·
Registered
397 Posts
Drove the Tail in March with a '14 Camaro 6MT. That was amazing. For those that haven't done it, don't miss it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
June 29-30 could work, my wife still works, so if she can't make it I will go alone....:grin
The plan may be gelling... I will report out later tonight June 29-30 prospects. It's a long haul for you alone... for me it could be a same day round-trip...
Prefer to stay overnight in the area and hit the trail before the Harleys roll out of bed... :wink

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'll let you guys know when we get a little deeper into Jun, it's to early to tell just what direction we are headed yet. Our vacations are usually heading out the door and pointing the car down the road. Never really know where we'll end up.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ve posted in the regions section last couple of years about a Dragon run. A group of Holden owners from NC have kept it going for 10+ yrs. since we all had GTO/G8 cars.
We have been first, second, or third week of October depending on who plans the get together. Leaf season is busy, but we get to the Dragon early on Friday morning before the bikes get on, run it a couple of times then drive away for lunch.
Some may want to drive it again on Saturday, early then join in with the others for another day of driving more nice roads.
Always been a fun trip that time of the year, sometimes catch it right for a beautiful leaf changing view.
Nights back at the motel are more fun, bench racing and possibly a few adult beverage consumed sitting around a fire pit.
It’s a 650 mile one way drive for me, last year I clocked nearly 1,600 miles round trip! The SS was flawless, great car for driving the twisty roads in and around the Smoky Mountains.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I poked around a few websites and here's a few details:
- June 28-30 is Thunder in the Smokies Summer Rally in the area (Maggie Valley) -- https://handlebarcorral.com/summerrally/
Does not preclude our own little rally, but it will be busy around.
- All places require 2 nights minimum over the weekend. The Two Rivers Lodge has accommodations at this point; cost is $175-$200--> for 2 nights.
My wife and I may stay only one night (Sat-Sun) which means may need to bite the bullet and pay for 2.

- Quite several places already have only one room left so depending how many of us book and when we may need to scatter in several places
- Here is a link to the TOTD "root" website: https://tailofthedragon.com/

So.... let's see what overwhelming response and/or other thoughts we are getting here....

As OptimusPrime stated, this is indeed a lot of fun. Several years ago (pre Holden days) I drove it 4 times (2 "round trips") over a weekend, one of them at night (if you trust that folks are running with headlights you could use the entire road... not that I have done that of course)

·
Registered
773 Posts
I’ve posted in the regions section last couple of years about a Dragon run. A group of Holden owners from NC have kept it going for 10+ yrs. since we all had GTO/G8 cars.
We have been first, second, or third week of October depending on who plans the get together. Leaf season is busy, but we get to the Dragon early on Friday morning before the bikes get on, run it a couple of times then drive away for lunch.
Some may want to drive it again on Saturday, early then join in with the others for another day of driving more nice roads.
Always been a fun trip that time of the year, sometimes catch it right for a beautiful leaf changing view.
Nights back at the motel are more fun, bench racing and possibly a few adult beverage consumed sitting around a fire pit.
It’s a 650 mile one way drive for me, last year I clocked nearly 1,600 miles round trip! The SS was flawless, great car for driving the twisty roads in and around the Smoky Mountains.

CYP, thanks for this input (I missed it while I was "composing" my previous post.) October could be a fallback or makeup session for us if June falls through, or a follow up. Great to hear about your experience with the crew, even with your long trip.
Our run some years back was from the Detroit area, so about 300 miles shorter in total, but in a then ~25 year old 911 (actual pics). It was very entertaining to say the least. I'm ready for another one, and if my replacement rear wheel for the VF does not arrive in time we may take the Porsche out again...

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I poked around a few websites and here's a few details:
- June 28-30 is Thunder in the Smokies Summer Rally in the area (Maggie Valley) -- https://handlebarcorral.com/summerrally/
Does not preclude our own little rally, but it will be busy around.
- All places require 2 nights minimum over the weekend. The Two Rivers Lodge has accommodations at this point; cost is $175-$200--> for 2 nights.
My wife and I may stay only one night (Sat-Sun) which means may need to bite the bullet and pay for 2.

- Quite several places already have only one room left so depending how many of us book and when we may need to scatter in several places
- Here is a link to the TOTD "root" website: https://tailofthedragon.com/

So.... let's see what overwhelming response and/or other thoughts we are getting here....

As OptimusPrime stated, this is indeed a lot of fun. Several years ago (pre Holden days) I drove it 4 times (2 "round trips") over a weekend, one of them at night (if you trust that folks are running with headlights you could use the entire road... not that I have done that of course)
Night drive you say? No problem, just add rain for more fun. Did drive slow just for saying we did it, wet leaves on the road kept us way under speed limit. :grin

Attachments

1 - 20 of 67 Posts