1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to try it, God forbid I had to park in the sun.

Only in America, fill your garage with junk and leave your $50,000.00 car in the driveway....

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
For $10 it's worth a shot. I had a **** of a time keeping my lenses from yellowing on my previous car after polishing them. It was a ten year old car that had spent time in the sun during work everyday so the lenses took a beating.

I might try some of this for my wife's car as hers could use some restoration as well.

·
Premium Member
15,040 Posts
... but will it hurt the polycarbonate after time? A lot of the "coatings" and "restorers" are bathtub gin and not compatible with all the different materials used.

BTW GM says no and will not warranty coated or smoked headlights, taillights etc.

#02-08-42-001I: Headlamp, Tail Lamp, License Lamp or Fog/Driving Lamp Damage - (Feb 12, 2016)

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input folks!
I'll be using it on the Tahoe lenses as part of the Sylvania 3 step system. I'll report back down the road.
I'll hold off on the SS since they're mint. Heck, I stopped driving it to work in the summer because I couldn't find shade. I may be a little over protective at times... :grin

Reactions: SS_Scott

·
Premium Member
15,040 Posts
Well of course you wouldn't use it. You wouldn't modify a single thing on your car without explicit written permission from GM.

Sylvania isn't some fly by night company, but maybe it is 'bathtub gin' that will destroy the headlights. Use at your own risk!!!

X2

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
First off, I would never apply it (preventatively) over a lens that was still clear and functional. However, if I had a lens which had yellowed to the point of needed a polish to restore it, then I most definitely would apply it (or something equivalent) to seal the lens after the polishing. As was noted previously, failure to seal a lens once it has been polished is a recipe for a very short polishing repeat cycle.

As far a worrying about incompatibility with lens materials (and where it is only being used after polishing), it seems to be a fairly moot point, with your options being to either go buy a new lens or use this very inexpensive product which will in all likelihood extend your existing lens usage for many years. Not exactly a tough choice with so little to lose and lots to gain. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Has anybody used this on their vehicles? I was wondering if it'd be worth considering to use as a precautionary protectant say on their SS lenses that are still in new/like new condition?
https://www.sylvania-automotive.com/products/other-lighting/other-accessories/uvb_kit.jsp
I think before doing this I would pop for actual UV film, And from experience if you do get cloudy headlights and you do a restore, even if they are crystal clear they will yellow and haze very rapidly unless you coat them with UV film.

Experience.
And yes every car I have with plastic lens gets UV film applied. My opinion it saves them from getting sandblasted or otherwise damaged from the road, and I don't care what anyone says, I have yet to see an older car with plastic lights NOT yellow or haze. so a layer over the top won't hurt.

I know others may say different.

Reactions: SS_Scott and Taze

·
Registered
468 Posts
Within weeks of buying my SSR, I had the 3M clear bra applied to the front end. It was also applied to the headlamp lenses, and so far, they're still crystal clear 13 years later. However, it is stored in a garage, but has seen plenty of summer daylight.

I think before doing this I would pop for actual UV film, And from experience if you do get cloudy headlights and you do a restore, even if they are crystal clear they will yellow and haze very rapidly unless you coat them with UV film.

Experience.
And yes every car I have with plastic lens gets UV film applied. My opinion it saves them from getting sandblasted or otherwise damaged from the road, and I don't care what anyone says, I have yet to see an older car with plastic lights NOT yellow or haze. so a layer over the top won't hurt.

What UV film do you refer to?

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Within weeks of buying my SSR, I had the 3M clear bra applied to the front end. It was also applied to the headlamp lenses, and so far, they're still crystal clear 13 years later. However, it is stored in a garage, but has seen plenty of summer daylight.

What UV film do you refer to?

Mine was coated with 3M XPEL, I've had good luck with it, but I know guys here have used other products.
My Toyotas have glass headlights, but I've coated three GM products and had no adverse reactions.
My '06 Silverado has the factory headlights and still crystal clear. But it is also garage kept.
Do your research, maybe someone else will chime in on their experience.
good luck.

·
Banned
2,712 Posts

Experience.

Where do you get the UV film from?

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
Its So CA and sunbathing being a common practice, and I say the more naked the better !

:nerd

·
Banned
2,712 Posts
I had it done by the detail guy I use, He had it installed, I didn't do it. they have a computer program that laser cuts the pieces exact then he installs it. I didn't do it myself.

http://www.clearbra-kits.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=12776
Thanks,
I'm looking for something like this to preserve the headlights on my QX80 after I restore them.
My truck will be 8 years old in 2019 and the lights are starting to show age.
The good thing is that the 2019 QX80 isn't really any different than my 2011 "QX 56" other than the name and a face-lift for the front lights combined with some mess they did in the rear....

Sent from my HTC 10 on Sprint using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
New headlight lenses (most) get clear uv protector sprayed and baked on as the first process. Polishing removes this and must be restored to keep lens clear into the future. As always....could be wrong!

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
New headlight lenses (most) get clear uv protector sprayed and baked on as the first process. Polishing removes this and must be restored to keep lens clear into the future. As always....could be wrong!

I don't know the steps but I've done the BS auto parts restore for friends and got them very close to perfect, but in a few months they were worse than before so I'd agree 100%

Part of coating them with film when new on my end saves the roughness and pitting from highway miles crossing the desert. My truck has taken the brunt of the desert on it's nose.

I haven't had any adverse reaction from the film on any of the cars.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts