Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the first couple of 'professional' car mag reviewers, as well as board members who've taken delivery or have had a test drive, have stated how well or how much better the SS handles than the G8. Since the basic setup is the same as the GXP (FE3), anyone have any details on what changes were made to improve things?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Premium Member
1,644 Posts
One of the biggest improvements would relate to mass reduction in the lower control arms with the move to Aluminium components. Also a new monotube Shock for the fronts. None of the front suspension is directly interchangeable with the G8 GXP apart from maybe the springs.
Also larger swaybars help to reduce body roll
I'll find the details on the front setup, I just have to dig around for it

· Premium Member
1,644 Posts
Here's a quote from the Australian Correspondent Mark Cadle from GMI.
Suspension

As well as the requirement to fit the EPS causing the front suspension member to be reprofiled, Monroe Shocks installed new equipment to double-coat coil springs allowing a thinner wire for reduced weight. Previously two different cast-iron steering knuckles were used for Commodores and the PPV. A new aluminium suspension upright is not only validated for both and actually stronger, but is lighter. Similarly, new linear-control arms which were steel castings welded to tube are now replaced by light alloy. Not only do these measures remove weight at the polar end of the car; they also remove unsprung weight.
Check out the link to other work done on VF it will explain some of the reason why the car looks as it does. In one word it is "Aerodynamics"
Released: VF Commodore Technical Details

· Registered
1,510 Posts
I took one for a test drive today and did not find the handseling any better then my previous G8 GT. The car felt exactly like my G8 with a new interior. I was actually very disappointed with it. I currently drive a ATS 2.0 t and the car drives much smoother then the SS. It just does not feel refined.

· Premium Member
2,493 Posts
I took one for a test drive today and did not find the handseling any better then my previous G8 GT. The car felt exactly like my G8 with a new interior. I was actually very disappointed with it. I currently drive a ATS 2.0 t and the car drives much smoother then the SS. It just does not feel refined.
Did you have work done to your GT? I had BMR sway bars on mine and the SS is much more responsive and flatter in the turns. I am curious what you didn't like...the G8 was just sluggish to the SS.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Jstue

· Premium Member
1,644 Posts
But did you just drive it? or did you DRIVE IT? :D

· Premium Member
1,644 Posts
There's your problem :D To really notice the difference you need to be lively and really hustle it into corners. This can all still be done whilst staying within those silly road laws ;) pop it in sport mode and Game over :)

· Registered
789 Posts

I would expect the ATS to be alot smoother and refined compared to the SS. New platform and all.
I hope we get to experience Cadillac in the future but wonder if they plan RHD anytime soon?
Roman. Firstly the handling as many have stated here is speed dependent, cars like these do need to be hussled and hussled hard to really see any differences. Steering for example would be light for those all important slow car park driving, and will progressively get firmer the faster one goes. These progresive changes is what separates good cars from your daily grocerry getters.

Commodoreman, (I know you didnt say this) but I dont think that the VF's Zeta 2 platform is inferior to the Alpha. I would say that they are actually either at the same level or that the Zeta 2 is a better platform (considering that it is cheaper to build and it is just as capable).

It is amazing how well the Zeta 2 has been able to keep both slow speed comfort, and high speed handling/feel without resorting to MRC or other similar systems - that Cadillac and other makers use.

You would know about the MRC equipped Zeta 2 (HSV GTS) currently besting BMW M5's for handling feel/dynamics/comfort and bestings AMG's around the race track.

its a nice car new cts is even better
HSV's are better still ;) (as a drivers car that is)

· Premium Member
3,373 Posts
...hopefully those SS LCA's last longer than the ones on the G8. http://www.autoguide.com/mobile
I think it's the bushing(s) in the control arms that are the problem (short service life), not the control arm itself.

Interesting--and a bit disappointing--if it's true that none of the VF/WN aluminum bits can be back-fitted to VE or WM.

· Premium Member
7,494 Posts
One of the Auto Mags had either an ad or article pointing out the front cradle and the changes made to it. I can't find it right now to let everyone know the name of the mag.
z51vett
Doug
I think that was something our good friend Commodoreman2000 posted somewhere in this forum a while ago......looking for it.....

· Registered
533 Posts
The feel of how this car handles corners with different road surfaces is delightful. I have had to privilege of driving almost all performance oriented Chevrolets including the new C7 Stingray at the track in Las Vegas, spring mountain motorsports.
Based off of seat time, and no actual times or competitive comparison. I familiarize the feel of this Unit to be similar to a bone stock C6 Corvette, only less twitchy and much, much more forgiving... Turn in is nearly identical, only thing your missing is the back end coming around wildly. The SS requires you to actually "try" to kick it out (in dry weather) which I look to the weight, weight distribution and suspension to pay homage to for this major improvement. I'm no pro diver this is just based off the seat time I have been privileged enough to experience.

At the end of the day this creature handles in a way that I have never experienced, extremely flat and balanced in high speed turns. looking foreword to getting used to this new personality in my driveway.

The SS feels nothing like the G8 imo, never really "drove" a gxp though. G8 felt very fat and just plain dated. However the Lineage is absolutely undeniable. if you have a G8, the SS is your father.

Regards,

Dad

:eek:ccasion14:

· Registered
1,344 Posts
Man oh man ... I'm really getting the itch now, I want one bad. You make it sound almost as good as my ZL1, and it feels and drives the same if your doing 30 or 130 ... Can't wait !!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.