Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I recently put a Whipple on my 2017 and was right where you are mid December. I was leaning harder towards the ProCharger and had almost given up the idea of a PD unit because of that torque curve. The following 2 two weeks of research started showing a number of people having long term issues with ProCharger. To make it worse those who were inside warranty periods could not get anything approved under the warranty. Call some shops who sell and install or have both. When I was speaking with Livernois they said they would do it if I was dead set on it but really preferred to go with a different setup like a PD. Steve at RDP also had some good stories to tell about ProCharger as well. It was his experiences selling them that kinda tipped me over the edge to the Whipple.

Another consideration which always loomed in the back of my mind was the intake setup of the ProCharger. Due to the location of the unit there was really no good option for the filter and it sucks a lot of hot air in. If I was going to end up with the ProCharger I planned on getting the Maverickman cowl hood to allow for better air. I'm still considering it though :) but in letting my wife absorb the cost shock of the Whipple.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
thanks for the info LCSteve,
I have heard similar stories of procharger and that is really the reason I haven't already ordered one. I started this thread to be persuaded to go Procharger, but I think I have been further convinced to go with the Whipple. Procharger has the ability to be a better driving experience imo, but it just has too many red flag stories. The latest one is that their intercooler setup is almost completely blocked by the bumper on our SS which leads to very high iat's. This is a new one on me and have no experience with that statement, but the shop who said it is a very reputable place with much experience on our cars. This is something to look at for those going centrifugal style to try to avoid higher iat's and heat soak. Might be in for a negative surprise. Not trying to bash Procharger at all. There are many happy people on this forum and elsewhere making great whp and fast passes all over the country. For me though, I am now fairly certain the polished Whipple will be sitting atop my motor. Thanks to all those who replied and helped me make a decision. LCSteve- have you had enough time with your new setup for an accurate impression? Are you loving it?

·
Registered
135 Posts
The latest one is that their intercooler setup is almost completely blocked by the bumper on our SS which leads to very high iat's.... LCSteve- have you had enough time with your new setup for an accurate impression? Are you loving it?
To give a fair comparison there the air to water intercooler with the Whipple mounts in the same place the ProCharger does so they'll have the same amount of blockage from the bumper support.

Regarding the car now, I've put about 600 miles on it and they've been fun for sure. I'm still tweaking one thing with the bypass valve that I've documented in another thread. It's fun though but if you've got stock tires you'll quickly realize they are no match for the motor now. It's not hard to punch it in 3rd gear and just light them up. You really have to become more adept with the throttle. I'm also going to be looking for some much stickier replacement tires. Mine are already on their way out before the supercharger with 20k.

Steve

Reactions: SmanZ28

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Multiple threads on prochargers, you might reach out to owners that have them installed.

Here’s one started by Jimster he started in late 2017. He might not have 50k on it but he will have valuable firsthand experience with one version of the Procharger. He was active just two days ago.

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2976082#/topics/159346?page=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for mentioning me. I have about 11k miles on the procharger now and I have no issues whatsoever.
@op
For a manual car I chose the procharger so that I wouldn't have issues with traction on good street tires.
I have pilot sport 4s tires and the car has amazing grip outside of flooring it at 3500 in first gear or dropping the clutch at 2k+.
I drive it around everywhere for road trips upstate and to doctors appointments with my kids and family members.

I've had the blower installed since Nov 2017 and I am now considering upping the boost by about 1.5psi just to pass the 600whp mark (also with rear cat delete and expanding front cats).
My car made 524whp with just the P1-X blower and no other mods.

If you search around for my thread you should be able to find it. I would link it but I'm on my phone right now.

I did the first ProCharger install on a 2017 SS so I had to help pro charger not only with the base map but also with the instructions for how to install it. If you choose to go ProCharger feel free to contact me and I will help you in any way that I can.

Sent from my HTC 10 on Sprint using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I installed my Whipple last spring, about 15k miles ago. Had it tuned for 620rwhp. I know I left some on the table, but you can always change pulleys and add e85 if you want more power. It is all in the tune. I wanted mine safe and to last a while. I also had some supporting mods done at the same time, like cam, springs, etc. I already had Kooks LTH and x-pipe with race cats. MY2017. I honestly feel that for street driving, the Whipple is perfect for me. I consulted RPM Motorsports prior to my decision and they took into account what I wanted to use the car for. I told them that I wanted to street the car and blow anyone away when I wanted, within reason. It does what I want it to and looks great.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I installed my Whipple last spring, about 15k miles ago. Had it tuned for 620rwhp. I know I left some on the table, but you can always change pulleys and add e85 if you want more power. It is all in the tune. I wanted mine safe and to last a while. I also had some supporting mods done at the same time, like cam, springs, etc. I already had Kooks LTH and x-pipe with race cats. MY2017. I honestly feel that for street driving, the Whipple is perfect for me. I consulted RPM Motorsports prior to my decision and they took into account what I wanted to use the car for. I told them that I wanted to street the car and blow anyone away when I wanted, within reason. It does what I want it to and looks great.
Thanks Dave,
I have also been i contact with many of the "reputable" shops picking their brains on which setup to go with. They all have said Whipple hands down. I've heard everything from design flaws with the procharger on our cars to procharger not standing behind their warranty. I so wanted to go the D1X route to have a different type of setup and for better traction down low like mentioned above. But I have truly been scared away after talking with many of these shops. Whipple it is for me. Ordered the ARH long system in anticipation of the build as a needed supporting mod imo.
Out of curiosity, what intake tube is that? Fits perfectly with the Whipple and rotofab. I have the rotofab and plan to keep it with the Whipple.
'

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Dave,
I have also been i contact with many of the "reputable" shops picking their brains on which setup to go with. They all have said Whipple hands down. I've heard everything from design flaws with the procharger on our cars to procharger not standing behind their warranty. I so wanted to go the D1X route to have a different type of setup and for better traction down low like mentioned above. But I have truly been scared away after talking with many of these shops. Whipple it is for me. Ordered the ARH long system in anticipation of the build as a needed supporting mod imo.
Out of curiosity, what intake tube is that? Fits perfectly with the Whipple and rotofab. I have the rotofab and plan to keep it with the Whipple.
'

That is the stock '17 tube, but I had to change it to the Whipple supplied tube as it does not line up perfectly and made me nervous. Also, I deleted the Kazoo tube in the process. Makes for a much nicer looking install, although I don't have pics of the Whipple tube installed yet. The engine covers are Rotofab Camaro Whipple engine covers, that were modified. It was a little pricey to go that route. $300 for unpainted covers and about $500 for customization and paint. I think it goes well with the install.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That is the stock '17 tube, but I had to change it to the Whipple supplied tube as it does not line up perfectly and made me nervous. Also, I deleted the Kazoo tube in the process. Makes for a much nicer looking install, although I don't have pics of the Whipple tube installed yet. The engine covers are Rotofab Camaro Whipple engine covers, that were modified. It was a little pricey to go that route. $300 for unpainted covers and about $500 for customization and paint. I think it goes well with the install.
Agreed, the covers were very nice. I actually spoke with rotofab a couple weeks ago and they have designed some Whipple covers to fit on our SS. The pic I was sent looks very similar to yours. They weld a plug where he fuel line cut out is and changed the paint masks to have the SS lettering. Is this what you had from them? The rotofab tube in the pic looked like it fit nicely. Does the Whipple supplied tube fit better with the rotofab box? Did you have to trim any off the bottom for clearance?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
dave, is your car a auto or manual? Some think with a manual(my car) the torque of a pd blower hinders performance(traction) since a manual trans is harder to launch, where a centrifugal might have the advantage. I understand the thought process. Curious of your impressions? I get that any 500+ whp car is gonna have traction issues being rwd. Just trying to minimize. 620whp is a nice number with what looks like the standard 4"pulley? and 93 octane. Looks good. I'm debating of ponying up the extra $ for the polished blower and intake option from Whipple. Would look really nice when popping the hood

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
dave, is your car a auto or manual? Some think with a manual(my car) the torque of a pd blower hinders performance(traction) since a manual trans is harder to launch, where a centrifugal might have the advantage. I understand the thought process. Curious of your impressions? I get that any 500+ whp car is gonna have traction issues being rwd. Just trying to minimize. 620whp is a nice number with what looks like the standard 4"pulley? and 93 octane. Looks good. I'm debating of ponying up the extra $ for the polished blower and intake option from Whipple. Would look really nice when popping the hood
My car has 0 traction problems. Traction problems simply aren't a thing unless you have shitty tires.
I can punch the car right off the line with minimal to 0 wheel spin.
I only have any spinning on a cold night or with a 20mph hit in first gear.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Mine is an auto. The tires and temp make a difference. On cold tires, it spins easily. Once warm, it hooks up and scoots.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agreed, the covers were very nice. I actually spoke with rotofab a couple weeks ago and they have designed some Whipple covers to fit on our SS. The pic I was sent looks very similar to yours. They weld a plug where he fuel line cut out is and changed the paint masks to have the SS lettering. Is this what you had from them? The rotofab tube in the pic looked like it fit nicely. Does the Whipple supplied tube fit better with the rotofab box? Did you have to trim any off the bottom for clearance?

I did have to trim the silicon connectors to fit better. It is really tight. For the covers, I ordered unpainted Camaro Whipple covers and had my local shop fix them up. They trimmed them to fit and filled in the breather tube hose. It was expensive, but worth it.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
My car has 0 traction problems. Traction problems simply aren't a thing unless you have shitty tires.
I can punch the car right off the line with minimal to 0 wheel spin.
I only have any spinning on a cold night or with a 20mph hit in first gear.
Mine is an auto. The tires and temp make a difference. On cold tires, it spins easily. Once warm, it hooks up and scoots.
I apparently need new tires. :grin (still on the originals)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
To give a fair comparison there the air to water intercooler with the Whipple mounts in the same place the ProCharger does so they'll have the same amount of blockage from the bumper support.

Steve

True, it does mount in the same place, but I believe the Procharger intercooler is air to air, so the blockage by our front bumpers is a bigger deal vs one that is liquid cooled. Curious if the procharger guys are experiencing very high IAT's? I would opt for the 3 core intercooler upgrade option if I went procharger. I also see there is at least 1 guy in the SS community that is modifying the stock upper and lower grills and making them totally open with nice black mesh inserts. Another option that I'm sure would get more air in

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
True, it does mount in the same place, but I believe the Procharger intercooler is air to air, so the blockage by our front bumpers is a bigger deal vs one that is liquid cooled. Curious if the procharger guys are experiencing very high IAT's? I would opt for the 3 core intercooler upgrade option if I went procharger. I also see there is at least 1 guy in the SS community that is modifying the stock upper and lower grills and making them totally open with nice black mesh inserts. Another option that I'm sure would get more air in
With my procharger F1A, I'm seeing IATs of Ambient + 10-13 degrees while cruising, and Ambient + 20-25 degrees after a few hard pulls.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for mentioning me. I have about 11k miles on the procharger now and I have no issues whatsoever.
@op
For a manual car I chose the procharger so that I wouldn't have issues with traction on good street tires.
I have pilot sport 4s tires and the car has amazing grip outside of flooring it at 3500 in first gear or dropping the clutch at 2k+.
I drive it around everywhere for road trips upstate and to doctors appointments with my kids and family members.

I've had the blower installed since Nov 2017 and I am now considering upping the boost by about 1.5psi just to pass the 600whp mark (also with rear cat delete and expanding front cats).
My car made 524whp with just the P1-X blower and no other mods.

If you search around for my thread you should be able to find it. I would link it but I'm on my phone right now.

I did the first ProCharger install on a 2017 SS so I had to help pro charger not only with the base map but also with the instructions for how to install it. If you choose to go ProCharger feel free to contact me and I will help you in any way that I can.

Sent from my HTC 10 on Sprint using Tapatalk

May I as what kind of gas mileage you are getting now? I've been hearing 12mpg city once boosted. is that right?

·
Registered
135 Posts
May I as what kind of gas mileage you are getting now? I've been hearing 12mpg city once boosted. is that right?
After about 2k miles I've been averaging about 14mpg so far but I'm thinking I may still have a vacuum leak slightly impairing that. On the highway with cruise control I can easily pull low 20s ie 22-23.

Reactions: L8APXR

·
Registered
324 Posts

Killer Chiller for the win. I see IAT temps of 55-62F for normal cruising. They go up for a wot run but come back down immediately.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Has anyone taken their supercharged car on a road course? I'm interested in the power bump obviously, but worried about heat soak during a 20 min session in the summer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 46 Posts