Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will 1st state that this thread is by no means meant to be a p.d. vs centrifugal poll or battle. I have narrowed down my choices for supercharger to the Whipple 2.9 or the D1X Procharger for my 2017 manual SS. My question is does anyone running the Prochargers have any feedback to the longevity or dependability of the Procharger units? I have seen many examples of Whipples and TVS, Roots style blowers running for 50k plus trouble free miles. Does anyone have this kind of example with the Prochargers? The only knock that my research has against Procharger is that maybe they aren't as robust a design as a pd blower? I like that the Procharger is different style vs all the manufacturers pd blowers, and can make some big linear numbers. Also, does anyone have any experience if one of these setups is more ideal for a manual trans? I have nothing to compare against. My only experience has been in a friends 2013 ZL1 LSA manual that is north of 700whp. That is a fun car. So, basically just looking for some trouble free higher mileage examples of Procharged cars. Anyone can chime in if maybe there are some other things I have overlooked and need to consider. FYI: This car is a summer sunny day driver that will see the street 90% of the time with the occasional dragstrip pass few times a summer, and i don't plan on modifying the lower end of the LS3. Thanks

·
Banned
115 Posts
You're best served searching Corvette Forum and LS1 Tech for info like this.
My vote is for the Procharger.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Not sure on the SC unit, but you may effectively cut the service life of your Engine in half depending on the amount of boost. Ive had superchargers last well over 100k though before coupling / snout bearing failures.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m less concerned with what a supercharger will do to the longevity of the LS3 vs if anyone has some higher trouble free mileage examples on their Procharged LS motors. I get that more people run prochargers on Vettes because of the weight. But surely there are some guys on this site that have had some extensive experience with Procharger on their cars? My main Hang up with procharger is I have a preconceived notion that they aren’t as dependable or durable as a tvs or twin screw type. Correct me if I’m wrong please.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I’m less concerned with what a supercharger will do to the longevity of the LS3 vs if anyone has some higher trouble free mileage examples on their Procharged LS motors. I get that more people run prochargers on Vettes because of the weight. But surely there are some guys on this site that have had some extensive experience with Procharger on their cars? My main Hang up with procharger is I have a preconceived notion that they aren’t as dependable or durable as a tvs or twin screw type. Correct me if I’m wrong please.
IMHO you're over thinking it. While my background is admittedly electrical and not mechanical engineering I can't really come up with any reason it wouldn't be as reliable as a tvs or twin screw. There's not a lot to go wrong in a ProCharger itself. I have a centrifugal sc on my Tahoe. It's not really the same as it's only 6lbs of boost and no step up gearing but fwiw it's been on there for 18+ years with zero service to the unit itself (just belts and idler pulley bearings).

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
FWIW .. nothing lasts forever. Otherwise mechanics would be out of business and you wouldn't need a "warranty". Everything breaks down eventually.

·
Registered
147 Posts
In Skylines Australia forum, a blown motor is just an opportunity to redesign the project. LS motors have many more options on the shelf. Rebuild stroked, rebuild LSX Block, LSA/LS9 base. The blown motor crises remains way cheaper and full of opportunity compared with Japanese or European car scenario.

Reactions: SmanZ28

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Quick googlefu shows folks paying 500-600 to have their procharger units rebuilt by procharger. That's not horrible.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
While this is not an LS motor or the same blower unit, hopefully this real world example will help a little bit. I have a 98 GMC truck that I installed a Whipple @ 80k miles 19 years ago. The truck is still a daily driver with 185k miles on it. There have been no issues with the engine or blower. I know this is not a one to one comparison that you were probably asking about, but hopefully it helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
boatmanfischer, I have no issues with the LSA and know 1st hand it is a very capable package. I am just not interested in trying to piece together that kit. Since our cars didn't come with any LSA option from GM here in the states, I find it a good opportunity to be able to put a different blower on my SS which is less common under the hood of a GM LS car instead of the LSA which came on the ZL1's & CTS-V's right from GM. Just think it will be more fun & interesting to have something different under the hood when having a little fun with all my LSA buddies. Through my research and personal preference I have narrowed down my choices to the Whipple 2.9L or Procharger D1X.
I may be overthinking a bit, but I truly would like to make the absolute best choice between these 2 blowers since I will most likely be spending between 10-15k on the project. Just don't want that feeling of wishing I had gone a different way after dropping all that coin is all.. Prob a bit paranoid.. but oh well I accept that i can be a bit obsessive when trying to make the right choice on a major investment.
antwerpflash- I appreciate you sharing your experience which is another example of a twin screw blower lasting many trouble free miles. Can the same be said of the procharger? I think subconsciously I want to be convinced to go the procharger route as it seems to be the rarest blower option on our cars, but the experiences of the procharger are much more mixed. Many love them while some say they wouldn't put one on their lawnmower. You don't seem to get those totally opposite opinions on the tvs, twin screw style blowers and I am curious why?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Multiple threads on prochargers, you might reach out to owners that have them installed.

Here’s one started by Jimster he started in late 2017. He might not have 50k on it but he will have valuable firsthand experience with one version of the Procharger. He was active just two days ago.

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2976082#/topics/159346?page=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I put 90k miles on my Corvette LS2 + Maggie with no issues.

I put 43k miles on my Chevy SS with procharger D1SC. The blower had 0 issues and the only reason I switched to an F1A is because I wanted more power.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks aeronos. Having 1st hand experience with the maggie & procharger I'm curious of your thoughts or preferences between the 2 systems. I realize that 1 is a vette, but are the systems 2 distinctly different drivinig experiences? Most say pd blower for mainly street driven & centrifugal if seeing more drag strip passes. curious on your impressions or anyone else with 1st hand experience of the 2 styles of blowers

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I put 90k miles on my Corvette LS2 + Maggie with no issues.

I put 43k miles on my Chevy SS with procharger D1SC. The blower had 0 issues and the only reason I switched to an F1A is because I wanted more power.
Your dyno sheet is VERY impressive....!!!!!!!!!:eek:eek:eek

Reactions: jimster480

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
thanks aeronos. Having 1st hand experience with the maggie & procharger I'm curious of your thoughts or preferences between the 2 systems. I realize that 1 is a vette, but are the systems 2 distinctly different drivinig experiences? Most say pd blower for mainly street driven & centrifugal if seeing more drag strip passes. curious on your impressions or anyone else with 1st hand experience of the 2 styles of blowers
To compare, you have to know the set ups:

CORVETTE
  • 345 rear tires
  • 535rwhp
  • 3300lbs
I loved the feeling of massive instant torque. I got so many compliments on the whining sound it made while spooling up. It made the car "feel" a lot faster than it actually was. Ultimately though, the power wasn't usable on the street. I'm a decent driver, but even after years of practice, it was incredibly difficult to maintain traction while accelerating hard below 60mph. I couldn't let anyone else drive it (had 2 near accidents because of the torque problem). Also the torque curve started to dip at 5000rpm which meant it actually felt "slow" on higher speed runs.

Here's a clip of what it sounded like

SS
  • 305 rear tires
  • 730rwhp (on Procharger D1SC)
  • 4000lbs
I LOVE LOVE the linear torque curve. I also love that it pulls hard all the way up to redline. Super predictable and easy to drive. The D1SC with helical cut gears (optional) is very quiet compared to the Maggie. I can still spin the tires in any gear, but it requires me to put my foot way into the pedal. The downside I guess is that if you're in 4th gear going 45mph, you won't feel the same "kick" that you would with a Maggie.

Comparing the 2 experiences, I'd strongly prefer the Procharger. For me it's a far superior driving experience - more control, more top end power.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry if I was in your shoes. You'll be happy with whatever you choose. The SS is, frankly, boring without the extra power.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
PS. I felt a lot cooler driving the Corvette :smile

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the write up aeronos. This direct comparison is what I was hoping to get. Real world experiences like this from 1 person having had both setups carries alot of weight for me. Granted this is only the opinion of 1 person, but it once again puts procharger back in contention for me. My goal is to try and ride in both types of setups back to back this summer. Will take some planning and luck, but there are enough fast cars around here that I should be able to get a 1st person comparison. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Comparing the 2 experiences, I'd strongly prefer the Procharger. For me it's a far superior driving experience - more control, more top end power.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry if I was in your shoes. You'll be happy with whatever you choose. The SS is, frankly, boring without the extra power.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%. You will lose the boring factor when you embrace boost!:devil

·
Registered
135 Posts
thanks for the write up aeronos. This direct comparison is what I was hoping to get. Real world experiences like this from 1 person having had both setups carries alot of weight for me. Granted this is only the opinion of 1 person, but it once again puts procharger back in contention for me. My goal is to try and ride in both types of setups back to back this summer. Will take some planning and luck, but there are enough fast cars around here that I should be able to get a 1st person comparison. Thanks again
I recently put a Whipple on my 2017 and was right where you are mid December. I was leaning harder towards the ProCharger and had almost given up the idea of a PD unit because of that torque curve. The following 2 two weeks of research started showing a number of people having long term issues with ProCharger. To make it worse those who were inside warranty periods could not get anything approved under the warranty. Call some shops who sell and install or have both. When I was speaking with Livernois they said they would do it if I was dead set on it but really preferred to go with a different setup like a PD. Steve at RDP also had some good stories to tell about ProCharger as well. It was his experiences selling them that kinda tipped me over the edge to the Whipple.

Another consideration which always loomed in the back of my mind was the intake setup of the ProCharger. Due to the location of the unit there was really no good option for the filter and it sucks a lot of hot air in. If I was going to end up with the ProCharger I planned on getting the Maverickman cowl hood to allow for better air. I'm still considering it though :) but in letting my wife absorb the cost shock of the Whipple.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts