Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sunroof literally exploded on me...no rock could’ve hit it because it wasn’t even popped open...it must’ve been temperature or something messing w the glass...i heard a bang and then started hearing crackling and opened my sunroof cover to find the glass exploded/shattered...was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and how much it would be to replace the glass on the sunroof :(

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that.

List price for the glass is $1360. (Part # 92266686)

·
Super Moderator
7,169 Posts
I've heard stories like this, not SS related however. It usually happens sooner if it's going to happen. I believe Tesla has had the issue, and we had the problem with full length Anderson Windows storm doors waaay back in the day. They would just pop, no rhyme or reason, no particular temp or atmospheric conditions that we could pinpoint.

Sorry that happened to you. :(

·
Super Moderator
14,220 Posts
Seems like there was one other SS incident way back in 2014 or 2015. Should be a thread somewhere in the cobwebs.

Pretty easy find:

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
I would take the car in to the dealer and ask them for assistance.

·
Registered
RotoFab & LMS 93 aggressive + tune|resonator delete|275/35 square set up
194 Posts
My sunroof literally exploded on me...no rock could’ve hit it because it wasn’t even popped open...it must’ve been temperature or something messing w the glass...i heard a bang and then started hearing crackling and opened my sunroof cover to find the glass exploded/shattered...was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and how much it would be to replace the glass on the sunroof :(
May be the cheapest route: 2014-2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan Sunroof Assembly Complete | eBay

Or not. Hope it works out for you though.

·
Registered
RotoFab & LMS 93 aggressive + tune|resonator delete|275/35 square set up
194 Posts
Double post.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,586 Posts
Trivia: I specifically ordered my SS without a sunroof because of where I live. Heck, around here, I refer to them as heat exchangers. My previous car was a 2013 TDI Bug, and it had a huge sunroof. I had it tinted, and then I had the invisible bra material (frosted) applied on the outside top. The tint shop was concerned that it might sandwich in too much heat and explode. After more than three years, it held up just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts