Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right section to post this. I'm having a problem with my windshield where it's streaky when the wiper is activated. It looks like something has built up on the entire windshield. I can mostly see it at night when the light is shining during the rain. Daytime, the wiper wipe just looks smeary or dirty but tolerable. At nighttime, I can barely see out of it due to the streaks. I've tried all kinds of cleaners, claybars, even used acid based cleaners (carefully applied of course), but nothing. The only options left are using abrasives (some type of soft wool?) or replacing the windshield itself.

I have not used RainX on the car.

Any thoughts or solutions you can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried white vinegar--both glass & blades? Yes, even went as far as using Coke Cola and Acetone (no acetone on rubber parts tho). No luck :(

Have blades been replaced? Blades were replaced in May but issue arose before that.

What are you using to wipe the glass--cloth/rag/towel/microfiber or a paper product? A combination of all.

Do you have a squeegee--if not, get one. I have used the squeegees in the gas station but do not have one of my own. Will try this when I get a chance.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
Check washer fluid my dealer put contaminated fluid in my washer bottle on a 1989 camaro
Since then nobody touches that are brake fluid.
z51vett
Doug
Dawn dish wash should clean it up

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had a similar issue, and used this. Easy to use and it worked pretty well.

https://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/wol...MI0uSInpvU3AIVl7XACh1SSQCREAQYASABEgKVjvD_BwE

Edit: When I was researching the issue I came across several threads on various forums where people were claiming it was likely caused by spray wax that is applied at touchless car washes. While I’m sure there are probably lots of different things that could cause this issue, it certainly seems plausible (and in my case that was likely the culprit).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a similar issue, and used this. Easy to use and it worked pretty well.

https://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/wol...MI0uSInpvU3AIVl7XACh1SSQCREAQYASABEgKVjvD_BwE

Edit: When I was researching the issue I came across several threads on various forums where people were claiming it was likely caused by spray wax that is applied at touchless car washes. While I’m sure there are probably lots of different things that could cause this issue, it certainly seems plausible (and in my case that was likely the culprit).
This is a good point to bring up. I'll admit, the car has gone through a couple of car wash places during road trips. I don't know if that's the actual cause, but there's a good chance it is. If it is spray on wax, how do you get rid of it?

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
rubbing alcohol that you may have around your home on the wiper blades should also clean them down to the rubber...knowing that repeated use of alcohol may dry out your wiper blades, you should be replacing them far before the time you would actually dry them out enough to where they no longer work...

Bill

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will try the degreaser. It's on order, will be here midweek.

As for the wiper blades, I don't believe it to be them because I can see the stains on the glass as I'm cleaning. I can't feel any roughness or raised areas on the glass but using a towel, as the moisture dries, you can see residue on the glass.

I'll post an update by next weekend. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I will try the degreaser. It's on order, will be here midweek.

As for the wiper blades, I don't believe it to be them because I can see the stains on the glass as I'm cleaning. I can't feel any roughness or raised areas on the glass but using a towel, as the moisture dries, you can see residue on the glass.

I'll post an update by next weekend. Thanks everyone!
If its on the glass, its on the blades too. They must be cleaned at the same time the glass is or some of that film will be redeposited on the glass the first time the wipers are used after the cleaning.

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
After you get the glass cleaned just replace the blades. If they are more than 1 year old they are shot. Anything you use to clean blades like alcohol will just destroy them in no time.

Don't be cheep.

Reactions: RedhotFLSS

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,131 Posts
Here you go OP. Easy peasy. I put in 2017 cause that's what I have, but I'd imagine they're all the same. Check your owners manual in case I'm wrong.

Drivers side OEM wiper blade part number:
Passenger side OEM wiper blade part number:

https://www.tascaparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=Wiper blades

Hopefully the link takes you right to it. You'll probably spend more on shipping than for the blades. Maybe look for a coupon code before buying them? Maybe you'll get lucky. BTW, I read online at chevrolet.com that the blades should only be cleaned with hot soapy water only and should be replaced every 6 months-which is a little silly I think because surely they sit on shelves, and on Dealership lots sometimes longer than that, but whatever. Point is they're very cheap to buy. Gonna order some myself sometime soon just for because. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Here you go OP. Easy peasy. I put in 2017 cause that's what I have, but I'd imagine they're all the same. Check your owners manual in case I'm wrong.

https://www.tascaparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=Wiper blades

Hopefully the link takes you right to it. You'll probably spend more on shipping than for the blades. Maybe look for a coupon code before buying them? Maybe you'll get lucky. BTW, I read online at chevrolet.com that the blades should only be cleaned with hot soapy water only and should be replaced every 6 months-which is a little silly I think because surely they sit on shelves, and on Dealership lots sometimes longer than that, but whatever. Point is they're very cheap to buy. Gonna order some myself sometime soon just for because. Hope this helps.
$12 and $13 each, shipped, Amazon FYI. Thanks for part numbers.

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,131 Posts

$12 and $13 each, shipped, Amazon FYI. Thanks for part numbers.
Yessir. It's about the same price from Tasca when you include the shipping.

And for what it's worth, Tasca has the front and rear Brembo OEM brake pads as well for the best price I could find. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I first got my 2015 SS I had the same problem, and it was right in front of the driver's line of sight. Replaced the blades and didn't fix the problem, cleaned the windshield as others have described in previous messages and still had the problem. Took it to the dealer to see if it was a contour defect with the glass itself, they thought it was fine. Put on a 3rd set of blades after another thorough windshield cleaning and it fixed the problem. Last round of blades (that "solved" my problem) was the Bosch Icons.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tried the degreaser that was recommended above, smells good, but no go. Also bought new wiper blades after trying to degreaser, didn't make a difference aside from a better wipe. You can tell it's just on the glass. It looks like something was flowing on the glass and then built up on it. It's smooth to the touch and can only be seen when wiping. Can be seen most when wiping cold like the AC is on. When heater is on, it's disappears quickly.

I think my only option is either a detailer or a whole new windshield. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds like you may need to polish your glass before using the other glass cleaners. Try this https://www.autogeek.net/dia-glasswork-restorer.html (wolfgang perfekt vision glass polish). I have had good luck with it. P.S. I don't recommend using any other abrasives like steel wool or scotch pad, no matter how fine, you will permanently scratch the glass!

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Take a look at Ammonyc’s glass cleaning video. Something there migh help.

·
Premium Member
15,043 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts