1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
You mean the kiddie car ...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I thought the ones with a gsxr1300 in the back were cool. Street legal go kart. Let it rip tater chip.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
For giving up so much space & dignity, one would expect that thing to get 70 MPG, not 35.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ding Dong,,, The Smart Car's Dead,,,,

Wake UP, You Sleepy Head,,,, Rub Your Eyes,,, Get Outta Bed!!!!!

Ding Dong,, The Smart Car's FINALLY DEAD!!!

(EVERY BODY SING!!!!)

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a28446389/smart-car-dead-opinion/

:angel
HOT [email protected], this IS a good day!! :grin :wavetowel2: :thumbsUp: :Dance:

As a fitting epitaph, I submit this quote from another article on the (so-called) "Smart" cars...

Hey, really small cars don't translate well in America. That's not news. Nobody here is willing to cram, especially when there are kids, kayaks, and preassembled roof trusses to haul. And who wants to be shaking hands with St. Peter while they floss your remains out of the grille of a Hummer?

Nope, give us something that lets us see over the next car, perhaps into the next ZIP Code if possible. Small cars are for the poor and the soon-to-be-squashed. The Smart looks as if somebody bolted an engine and four wheels onto a Lincoln Navigator's glove box!

·
Registered
114 Posts
"Smart" cars for dumb people. Good riddance. Prius drivers are saints in comparison.

·
Registered
148 Posts
"Smart" cars for dumb people. Good riddance. Prius drivers are saints in comparison.
I don't know if Prius drivers are "saints" in ANY context - but I sure as he!! agree with your "Good riddance" sentiment!! :thumbsUp: :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Say what you will about the Smart Car, but this is **** impressive.
Quoted from THAT EXACT VIDEO - "...but, here's the rub - the cars may have stood up to the severity of the crash surprisingly well - but the humans inside wouldn't."

You simply CANNOT defeat the laws of physics. And while this program MIGHT have thought that they were making an argument for the "survivability" of any idiots who put their faith in the rigid frame of a "smart" :rolleyes: car, they conveniently IGNORED the more-likely case of a larger/heavier vehicle impacting a "smart" :rolleyes: car at normal driving speed. Striking an immobile barrier is all well & good, but it COMPLETELY ignores the more-realistic "two-car accident" scenario...

And it doesn't have to be an Expedition/Suburban/F-250 - considering the fact that the 'Tard car only weighs about 1,500 pounds - and the typical Prius weighs TWICE as much, and a garden-variety Subaru Legacy can weigh in at about 3750 lbs, it doesn't take much imagination to realize that the tiny little clown car is a death trap:

" However, in an April 2009 40 mph frontal offset crash test between a Fortwo and a Mercedes C-Class, "the Smart went air-borne and turned around 450 degrees" causing "extensive intrusion into the space around the dummy from head to feet". The IIHS rated the Smart Fortwo "Poor," noting that "Multiple injuries, including to the head, would be likely for a real-world driver of a smart in a similar collision." citation
(For whatever it's worth, the Mercedes C-class is listed as a "compact executive car" - NOT exactly in the same class as a truck/SUV...)

And God forbid you should hit the 5700-lb. (up to 6,700-lb.) Ford F-250 - Can you say "Tinkertoy car in the side pocket"??? :grin

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Didn't miss that part at all. For a 70 MPH crash it's still impressive how well a car with zero crumple zone held up. I'm not denying physics here in any sense, and won't have to worry about finding myself in a Smart car (crashed or otherwise).

·
Registered
70 Posts
So, I kind of have the opposite opinion... As much as I would NEVER be caught dead even riding in one much less owning one, I am slightly remiss that this natural selection device in no longer made. I mean a few less logically challenged people around the better. Of course, then there are the innocent children who might get strapped in to this thing due to no fault of there own, so maybe its best they are gone.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Saw one of these running down the local drag strip .. 18 seconds in the quarter mile FTW.

Prius drivers around here seem to have evolved from driving 55mph in the fast lane, to blowing past you doing 100+ .. so much for MPG. No such thing as stupid cars, just stupid drivers.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Even dumb and dumber than the Smart car are American's that will loose their *#$^% next time fuel prices spike and the whole SUV craze will implode. Stupid people will sell their SUV's for penny's on the dollar for a brand new car that gets slightly better mpg. The commitment by the OEM manufacturers to abandon small cars and sedans seems short sighted when you think of the all those consumers that lack critical thinking skills that will want to accumulate yet more debt to save incremental amounts of fuel when gas is $6 (California)/$4 elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts