Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a clunking type noise coming from the driver side of the car. Doesn't seem to make a noticable noise when driving highway speed but <45 you can definitely hear it. The constant uneven bumps in the road make the noise.

I've had a bad shock on the right rear and that made a noticable ride change so I don't feel like it's that. No oily residue on any shocks. I've tried to play with some body pieces to see if it was that, nothing.

Sway bar links by chance? Sounds like it could be both front or rear.

Any suggestions or familiar situations? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
My front sway bar link made noise going slower and also speed bumps. Might be worth getting it
up on lift. Mine wouldn't give me a clue on stands.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Change the end links, both of them. Both times i changed mine the sound was coming from the driver’s front. And i changed that one first. It didnt go away and i had to change the passenger side. I went with cheap ones first and replaced them 20k later with OEM the next time

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I've had a similar clunk from the front passenger side. Replaced the sway bar links twice, to no avail, so I'm leaning towards the shock or mount at this point. It's my understanding that when the front shocks leak, it's not visible like the rears. Anyone have any tips on inspecting the front shocks for a leak without removing them? Ride/handling still seem okay.

·
Super Moderator
9,327 Posts
I've had a similar clunk from the front passenger side. Replaced the sway bar links twice, to no avail, so I'm leaning towards the shock or mount at this point. It's my understanding that when the front shocks leak, it's not visible like the rears. Anyone have any tips on inspecting the front shocks for a leak without removing them? Ride/handling still seem okay.
I'm sure you've already crossed this path, but have you checked the strut mount bushings up front? Could be they are starting to collapse, clunking around a bit on the road due to some play at the bushings.

Reactions: Britz55 and 16PB6MT

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I'm sure you've already crossed this path, but have you checked the strut mount bushings up front? Could be they are starting to collapse, clunking around a bit on the road due to some play at the bushings.

So far, they still appear normal. I've had new ones on the shelf for a year+ now, ready to install, though I can't remember if they were Whiteline or SuperPro at this point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts