Chevy SS Forum banner

Starter build for the SS

14K views 71 replies 19 participants last post by  a6d9cmro 
#1 · (Edited)
My SS build

Hey everyone, decided I would share some pix of the new wheels that Jon @Bestwheeldeals squared me away with. They definitely fill the rear wheel wells.

Specs are:
20x9 et35 255/35/20
20x11 et54 305/30/20

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Appreciate it!
Weight- I didn't weigh them...that will come later I guess
Yep, stock ride height.
Rides just as good if not better than the stock rims. Pretty surprised at the Nitto 555 G2 ride

#7 ·
Moved to the Build Journal forum.

#13 · (Edited)
So, for the LSA build, I got the cam kit, 8 rib belt, brass bushing trunion upgrade, upgraded HX, varimax pump, and injectors. Goal is to have 530-550 reliable hp. I didn't upgrade my oil pump though. What are the thoughts on that? Some say do and some say don't...

#18 ·
Quick question to the LSA experts out there: I will be running a 2.55 Griptech upper with a stock lower along with a stock balancer. I've been entertaining a 8.660 lower but didn't know if I needed to upgrade my balancer or if the lower pulley would even bolt to my stock balancer. Thoughts?

#29 ·
Installed the new Hurst shifter tonight. Really simple, also put the race bushings in the shifter instead of the plastic bushings. Sounds pretty quiet so far, will know more once I drive it to work tomorrow. I have to learn how to drive it again. I haven't had a manual with a shifter this tight and this precise...

I gotta say, it looks pretty freakin good...

Attachments

Reactions: wilkin4
#31 ·
Beauty ride! The blue is awesome with those wheels. Stay with the red brakes too. Good choice IMO. The shifter sure brings back memories. Very good taste. Keep it up. I bought the LED taillights but have not installed yet. I need anything I can do to wake up the white body. Maybe stripes and definitely wheels. All the money is going into mechanical so far. Just started my build thread today."White Lightning" Keep up the good work and pictures. Your car is awesome.

#32 ·
Thanks brother , appreciate it. Just ordered a ported blower and PRC260 heads tonight from Roshan at boostdistrict.com. He takes great care of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Beauty ride! The blue is awesome with those wheels. Stay with the red brakes too. Good choice IMO. The shifter sure brings back memories. Very good taste. Keep it up. I bought LED taillights but have not installed yet. Just started my build thread today."White Lightning" Keep up the good work and pictures. Your car is awesome.

#34 ·
Love the build man. Just got my SS, already itching for a supercharger. Looks like you’re in the Seattle area, I’m in Snohomish/Lake Stevens. Hopefully we cross paths, new to the LS world

#36 ·
#40 ·
started pre-assembling the LSA last night. At least the evap piece and the injectors, fuel rail and top lid placed on top...felt like i needed to do something...trying to stage up the parts so I know what i have and what i need.

#41 ·
So, I have failed to keep up with this thread...will try to catch everyone up...

Got the BoostDistrict TVS2650 installed (please don't mind the dirty engine bay). Also installed were the 2" Kooks headers, PRC 260 heads, CHE trunions, Manton Pushrods, CamMotion cam, MotionRaceworks valve covers (I love these things) and catch can... oh yea, new wires too. I produce a lot of condensation with the E85 and the catch can gets it all. Nothing is routed back to the intake tract.

The intake tube is not very attractive, but this is rev5 or so. It is super functional, so I hesitate to mess with it anymore. Yea, I know, not a straight shot...the coupler is a cobra head coupler 4 to 5" transition and I installed the twin -10 meth nozzles so they would spray directly into the NW102 TB.

Also installed a PNPTechworks interchiller (thx @Fedge378 ) I removed the stock oil cooler and installed an Improved Racing setup. It's amazing how much stuff comes off when you remove the stock setup.

- during an initial power run, the stock clutch gave up. So, I babied it for a bit, half throttle or less. Went to Tick Performance and got their upgraded slave with TICKshift Billet Release Bearing Support, speedbleeder, clutch line and adjustable master cylinder. Also purchased a Monster LT1-triple disc clutch setup, a DSS 3.5" aluminum DS from SSonly.com and a MGW shifter (yes, mounted in reverse for better placement) with a new shifter boot from RedlineGood.

- Worked with Tim Haines remotely to get her up and running and eventually tuned. Super happy with this decision. He tunes a lot of the BD 2650 platforms, so he gets them and their performance.
- dyno day

- Final corrected numbers:

-Final uncorrected numbers:

I'd like to say thank you to all of you who gave guidance and helped me along the way. Yes, this includes @CB750, lol. I really appreciate this community! If anyone has questions, please feel free to ping me.

#44 ·
So, I have failed to keep up with this thread...will try to catch everyone up...

Got the BoostDistrict TVS2650 installed (please don't mind the dirty engine bay). Also installed were the 2" Kooks headers, PRC 260 heads, CHE trunions, Manton Pushrods, CamMotion cam, MotionRaceworks valve covers (I love these things) and catch can... oh yea, new wires too. I produce a lot of condensation with the E85 and the catch can gets it all. Nothing is routed back to the intake tract.

The intake tube is not very attractive, but this is rev5 or so. It is super functional, so I hesitate to mess with it anymore. Yea, I know, not a straight shot...the coupler is a cobra head coupler 4 to 5" transition and I installed the twin -10 meth nozzles so they would spray directly into the NW102 TB.

Also installed a PNPTechworks interchiller (thx @Fedge378 ) I removed the stock oil cooler and installed an Improved Racing setup. It's amazing how much stuff comes off when you remove the stock setup.
View attachment 286138

- during an initial power run, the stock clutch gave up. So, I babied it for a bit, half throttle or less. Went to Tick Performance and got their upgraded slave with TICKshift Billet Release Bearing Support, speedbleeder, clutch line and adjustable master cylinder. Also purchased a Monster LT1-triple disc clutch setup, a DSS 3.5" aluminum DS from SSonly.com and a MGW shifter (yes, mounted in reverse for better placement) with a new shifter boot from RedlineGood.

View attachment 286139

• Worked with Tim Haines remotely to get her up and running and eventually tuned. Super happy with this decision. He tunes a lot of the BD 2650 platforms, so he gets them and their performance.
  • dyno day

- Final corrected numbers:
View attachment 286141

-Final uncorrected numbers:
View attachment 286142

I'd like to say thank you to all of you who gave guidance and helped me along the way. Yes, this includes @CB750, lol. I really appreciate this community! If anyone has questions, please feel free to ping me.
Holy smokes! Welp, sure that’s fun to drive [emoji41]

You’re welcome on the chiller [emoji6]

#43 ·
There may be, not sure now...Didn't even think about that...lol...this is not my be all end all. But, something to look out for in the future.

Link: Cobra head elbow
How does the cobra head make such a tight bend without increasing turbulence? Because it flares out, creating more volume internally without increasing height.

#46 ·
With two fat people in the rear seat and a nice bump do you think you would rub in the rear. Liking those 11s on the profile but I don't want to risk rubbing. Also how are the tires in the rain? Don't tell me your one of those guys that only takes it out on sunny days.... If that's the case we can only meet up a few weeks per year 😉

#48 ·
What heads you going with

Reactions: a6d9cmro
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.