Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long until some enterprising SOB swaps a corvette gearbox into the SS? Theoretically they should mate perfectly...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't see some regular SS owner doing it in the first years of ownership, once warranty is up, i expect start seeing them happen

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Pedals will be different in the SS but it has been done on a G8, full how to write up on G8Board, not an easy job too get the parts to communicate with each other.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Don't see the Corvette trans as a viable swap; it's located in the rear of the car. Would think this would involve removing part of the rear seat floor area and the shift mechanism would be a real headache....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't see the Corvette trans as a viable swap; it's located in the rear of the car. Would think this would involve removing part of the rear seat floor area and the shift mechanism would be a real headache....
unless you just order a Corvette gearbox from GM parts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
The Corvette gearbox is attached directly to the differential; the conventional GXP M6 has the trans connected to the engine and transmits power via a driveshaft. The Corvette does not use a conventional driveshaft.... I can see adapting a Camaro transmission but not sure where you're getting installing a Corvette trans into an SS. That would be an engineering nightmare...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Corvette gearbox is attached directly to the differential; the conventional GXP M6 has the trans connected to the engine and transmits power via a driveshaft. The Corvette does not use a conventional driveshaft.... I can see adapting a Camaro transmission but not sure where you're getting installing a Corvette trans into an SS. That would be an engineering nightmare...
I'm not getting it from anywhere, just throwing up questions to see whats possible

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
Another problem with using a corvette style trans and torque tube is the fuel tank is tucked up under the seat in just forward of the differential.

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
best and easiest option to change to a manual is to get a T56 or TR6060 and an aftermarket pedal assembly like Tilton or Wilwood overhung pedal box.

I am looking at Tilton for my project car but have to wait till the Rollcage goes in before selecting an assembly that will fit the rules of the race category I am building.

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
OR, just buy another car. :)
I don't think a T56 conversion is worth the trouble.
Especially on a brand new $45k car.
My personal preference for a road car box is a modified 6 speed helical cut gearset. My project car will get a straight cut gear set as t is much stronger than helical

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
best and easiest option to change to a manual is to get a T56 or TR6060 and an aftermarket pedal assembly like Tilton or Wilwood overhung pedal box.

I am looking at Tilton for my project car but have to wait till the Rollcage goes in before selecting an assembly that will fit the rules of the race category I am building.
good info, cheers

·
Registered
397 Posts
exactly, it's not normal for people to do that
when warranty expires their will be more luck with seeing a manual swap, heck, maybe even a whole write up with pictures on how it was done. people always tend to "save" cars like this sometime down the road.

·
Registered
912 Posts
That's what a lot of the G8 owners told a few members on the G8board. A couple guys wanted to put a 6M into their GTs. They accomplished it, but at the prices they paid (even though they did all the work themselves) they were into the car about what they would have paid for a G8 GXP 6M.

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
how much power will you be running to require straight cut gears? o.0
Initially I will run a stock road box as I have a spare one to brutalise whilst I set up the suspension and work on getting other stuff right before slotting in the PPG gearbox (local company here in Adelaide does the gear sets).

power figures I am aiming for will be around 600 hp at the fly, but will start at around 450 at the flywheel with the engine that I will source just looking around at local engine builders at the moment.
The biggest trick will be getting the right mix of power coupled with traction from the control tyres.

The PPG gear sets are rated to over 1000 hp for full track/drag/rally or circuit applications.

I'm taking a week off of work in the next couple months to prep the interior for the rollover bar work. It helps I have a mate who is a top welder so will do cage myself and get it approved.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The GXP was GM's way of ass raping people.
I wanted a manual G8 GT, but I refused to be ass raped by GM with the GXP.

Based on the fact that members here have reported buying BRAND NEW G8 GTs for $22k, a T56 swap MAY have been worth the trouble at that price.
But, for $45k, it doesn't make sense to me.
Definitely worth it on a sub $25k car, even now I would consider building a G8 over buying a brand new SS. decisions decisions

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Initially I will run a stock road box as I have a spare one to brutalise whilst I set up the suspension and work on getting other stuff right before slotting in the PPG gearbox (local company here in Adelaide does the gear sets).

power figures I am aiming for will be around 600 hp at the fly, but will start at around 450 at the flywheel with the engine that I will source just looking around at local engine builders at the moment.
The biggest trick will be getting the right mix of power coupled with traction from the control tyres.

The PPG gear sets are rated to over 1000 hp for full track/drag/rally or circuit applications.

I'm taking a week off of work in the next couple months to prep the interior for the rollover bar work. It helps I have a mate who is a top welder so will do cage myself and get it approved.
take some pics for us during the process will ya ;), I'd love to see the teardown and buildup as im sure others would.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts

600hp still wouldn't require straight cut gears. But I guess if you need to replace the gears with heat treated gears anyways you might as well go straight cut.

What are the disadvantages to straight cut. Don't remember.

·
Registered
912 Posts
600hp still wouldn't require straight cut gears. But I guess if you need to replace the gears with heat treated gears anyways you might as well go straight cut.

What are the disadvantages to straight cut. Don't remember.
NVH. (noise, vibration, harshness).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts