Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been researching this for a bit and if it's already been covered I apologize but I haven't been able to find it here, or on Just Commodores.

From what I've read the chevrolet SS is the equivalent to the Australian Holden Commodore SSV VFseries 2 Redline. When you Google Holden Commodore SSV VF2 and sift throught images, even in the used car adds for Australia, on the trunk or boot they are badged SS on the left and VF series 2 on the right. When you Google badges for the same you get a SSV badge.

So are most Redlines SSs and is a SSV Redline a less common optioned Commodore or is the SSV badge for another model that American SS owners mistake for their SSs

My eyes are burning and my head is pounding from scouring threads and images. Some one please help...

Which trunk or boot badge would be correct for a 2016 Holden Commodore SSV VF2 Redline?
(1)
Automotive tire Automotive design Eyewear Automotive exterior Rim

(2)

Automotive design Font Logo Automotive exterior Fin

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha... ok Jay. Obviously I wasn't clear...

I am trying to determine how the chevrolet SS sold in the US would have been badged if it was sold in Australia.

In my research I haven't seen a Australia Holden Commodore SSV series 2 Redline with an SSV badge.

So to be clear... only the 14,15 had the SSV and VF badge on the trunk or boot. The 16 and 17 would have had a SS and VF series 2 on the trunk or boot or just the VF series 2?

Thank you dDuBb

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
The 2015 and 2016 are closer to the HSV models than a SSV primarily because of the LS3 (only available for the Redline for MY2017) and the Mag ride (never available for the SSV range, only HSV GTS, and later variants of the HSV range). Cold seat option was not available for any VF or HSV and obviously Sirius radio / GM Onstar….so the Chev SS has options from the HSV parts bin and some unique to the US market

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The 2015 and 2016 are closer to the HSV models than a SSV primarily because of the LS3 (only available for the Redline for MY2017) and the Mag ride (never available for the SSV range, only HSV GTS, and later variants of the HSV range). Cold seat option was not available for any VF or HSV and obviously Sirius radio / GM Onstar….so the Chev SS has options from the HSV parts bin and some unique to the US market
Too bad we couldn't get the LSA and LS9 Gen IV engines from the awesome GTSR and GTSR W1 and awesome 20" wheels from the HSV parts bin...

@peterhor: How does the 2022 CT5V BW 6-speed performance compare to the 2017 GTSR W1's?

·
Registered
131 Posts
2016-17 Holden Commodore SSV series 2 redline? View attachment 293939

2014-15 SSV series redline ? View attachment 293940
Yep, you've got it - the Heron car is definitely a VF2 Redline (and could be 2016 or 2017, hard to tell from that shot, the difference was 2016 got silver trim, the 2017 got black)...and the Prussian Steel car is a VF1 from anywhere from 2013-15.

The closest car here spec-wise to the Chevy SS was probably the Motorsport Edition (limited edition in late 2017) - it ended up with magride and a few other goodies you had from day 1! Or the N/A HSVs @peterhor mentioned.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I think I got it. Not enough to help others with an explanation but I figured out enough to answer my question....

Now if some one could save me the $500USD for the service manuals and tell me where the fastener are that hold the dash in place so I could send in the HUD to WAMS id be set.... lol🤪

Thank you GDH

·
Super Moderator
8,032 Posts

You will spend a whole lot more than that 5 bills on the Holden bits, and your steering wheel will still be on the wrong side... ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
🤑🤑🤑. I already know... lol🤪 The gauge cluster and silver box are in transit home. Picked up a used HUD to send to WAMS if I ever get the dash out. This service wont be available in the near future so this was my best solution🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Yep, you've got it - the Heron car is definitely a VF2 Redline (and could be 2016 or 2017, hard to tell from that shot, the difference was 2016 got silver trim, the 2017 got black)...and the Prussian Steel car is a VF1 from anywhere from 2013-15.

The closest car here spec-wise to the Chevy SS was probably the Motorsport Edition (limited edition in late 2017) - it ended up with magride and a few other goodies you had from day 1! Or the N/A HSVs @peterhor mentioned.
this is my 2017 Redline Green machine LSTGN 1

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Too bad we couldn't get the LSA and LS9 Gen IV engines from the awesome GTSR and GTSR W1 and awesome 20" wheels from the HSV parts bin...

@peterhor: How does the 2022 CT5V BW 6-speed performance compare to the 2017 GTSR W1's?
Plenty of Reviews on the web including comparisons with the competition of the day with the W1 - the journo's loved the W1, probably a bit of patriotism given that it was the last of (Aussie) grunt. I would assume the CT5V BW 6-speed is up to snuff with the W1 given its use of the latest tech, however so much was added to the W1 interms of track performance, it probably will stand out on its own for a 4 door performance sedan!

Reactions: Drone

·
Registered
301 Posts
also reported in another thread, and to confuse, they did the SSV for 16-17 model where the V is red; and earlier years the V is not. I have the SSV (v in red) on my 16 which also signifies its a VFII. However I do not have the corresponding the VFII because that would double up the badging, per se :) And I like the look better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@peterhor, Beautiful color. Thank you for the link to the images. I would be very proud if that was my car too.

@anomadtoo. This is what I've been trying to figure out. What determines whether it gets the SS or the SSV emblem? I have both. I'm just trying to put the correct Holden emblems from a 2016 Commodore that best correctly fits what a 2016 Chevrolet SS would have had if it stayed in Australia.

·
Super Moderator
8,032 Posts
@peterhor, Beautiful color. Thank you for the link to the images. I would be very proud if that was my car too.

@anomadtoo. This is what I've been trying to figure out. What determines whether it gets the SS or the SSV emblem? I have both. I'm just trying to put the correct Holden emblems from a 2016 Commodore that best correctly fits what a 2016 Chevrolet SS would have had if it stayed in Australia.
While the link below is a review of a 2016 Commodore SSV Redline and has an accurate pic of what you are looking for, if it was my car I would put on whatever combination looks the best to you. The problem is, "what a 2016 Chevrolet SS would have had if it stayed in Australia" is not what the Chevy SS is. Your front bumper SS badge would be an LS3 badge, your wheels would be black, your interior red stitching would be white, your passenger side alcantara on the dash would be blank, no SS on the seats (and no silly plastic fake slot thingys either), your tail lights would be clear, your spoiler would be different, your magnetic ride control wouldn't be there, etc. etc. While the Chevy SS may find it's roots in the SSV Redline, and it certainly pumps Holden blood through it's veins, it is unique unto itself, and unlike any Holden Commodore down under. Being that it is uniquely built, you can continue that trend and badge it in whatever manner you please and make it uniquely your own. (y)
Link will start at a rear shot of the Commodore SSV Redline.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@15SuperSport. Yeah...I'm not goin down that road. Just trying to appear genuine. As the title says, I'm trying to determine if the SS or SSV emblem would have been used. I'm not trying to make a clone only something similar. I've already given myself permission to make it my own. I'm a bit miffed why this is a hard question to get answered.

I never set out with the intention to do the holden conversion. I really didnt want to do it. I wanted to delete the chrome and bowties. But the only aesthetically pleasing alternative grill option available was the holden. After you put one holden emblem on the rest of the Chevrolet bowties start to bug you. My OCD doesnt allow me the luxury of indifference. But I have enough information to move on

I'm not going to restich the interior, or relocate the steering wheel. I do hate the plastic bits on the seat though...

It will get an LSA someday

·
Super Moderator
8,032 Posts
It is only a hard question to get answered because our car as it sits doesn't exist in Australia. It's a mix of SSV Redline with a bit of Motorsport Edition and HSV. I think you to be on the right track with the back of the car in the vid I posted. I don't blame you for not wanting the two logos mixed and matched. I've only two bowties left on my SS, on the trunk and the steering wheel, both blacked out. I almost have a third bowtie, but it is a flowtie. Actually have a pic of my car next to a lionized car for comparison. I also have two Holden logos on the car, one under the hood and the one on the car from the factory...

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle

Product Automotive design Blue Azure Output device

The Roto-Fab cover and the flowtie grille are custom pieces from member @Coupe , who was great to work with. (y)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@15SuperSport Beautiful!!! Nice style!!

Ok, lets forget about the Chevrolet SS and its differences to its Holden counter part. Most equate it to a Redline and I'm trying not to go into a debate as to what the Chevrolet SS is and stay on the topic of what's an Australian SS and what's an Australian SSV please.

Lets assume we are talking about Holden Commodore SS V series and VF series2 Redlines.

I'll repectfully ask it this way...

What year and model Holden Commodore used this emblem?
Automotive tire Automotive design Eyewear Automotive exterior Rim

What year and model Holden Commodore used this emblem?
Automotive design Font Logo Automotive exterior Fin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts