Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Picked up a low mileage 2017 SS manual last week and need some more LS3 music for my ears.
The car has intake, ARH headers, tune. 99% sure has the stock mufflers.
I would think with the headers it would be louder but its not how I want it to be.
Will replacing the stock mufflers make that much of a difference? I know removing the cats will but I'll leave the ARH cats that came with the headers on.
What options do I have?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
You do know the knob on console controls the bimodal mufflers with car running turn dial to right look at small screen over steering column it will tell you what mode your in your last click to right is performance opens exhaust straight thru changes shocks and throttle response as well as steering feel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do know the knob on console controls the bimodal mufflers with car running turn dial to right look at small screen ove steering column it will tell you of in your last click to right is performance opens exhaust straight thru changes shocks and throttle response as well as steering feel
Yes, even in performance I'm looking for a little bit more.

·
Registered
656 Posts
For an obnoxious sound, take the mufflers off. For a little more volume, you can take out resonators. I can tell you the magnaflow catback sounds wonderful with longtube headers, but it's definitely not what I would call loud, which seems to be what you're after.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For an obnoxious sound, take the mufflers off. For a little more volume, you can take out resonators. I can tell you the magnaflow catback sounds wonderful with longtube headers, but it's definitely not what I would call loud, which seems to be what you're after.
I wouldn't say I want loud, but some more over the ARH long headers and stock mufflers.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Have you stood behind your car while it's driving off and heard it from there or do you want it louder in the cabin?
Many new owners think our cars are quieter than those behind us perceive.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Exhaust cut outs

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,661 Posts
I believe the 2017 does not have resonators, and running in sport or performance mode, the mufflers are essentially straight through. Only headers would make it louder.

As others have said, stand behind it and let someone take off in it.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Yeah I have ARH's on a '16 with the bimodal, and it's pretty loud inside the car especially above 2k and damned loud outside in sport/performance. Even tour inside sounds at least like a throaty V8 pickup under load.

Do a cold start with the remote start standing outside and see how your ears take it. Short of removing the bullet style cats, which really don't do a ton of muffling and going with an off-road pipe, there's not much to make it louder until you do a cam swap.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Do you need the cats?
My kooks. cam, higher compression and procharger through straight to the stock bimodes are awesome loud, really loud when opened up and I dare say perfect loudness on quiet mode. I get tons of positive comments at the track or street with everything on scream. It is a bit raspy on the torque modulation between shifts, but I like it. Double tap your traction control to put it in track mode have your wife snap the throttle and listen from behind. You may be pleasantly surprised. Or pull those nasty restrictors out and let it rip. I've had people come down from the stands just to pay compliments on the sound. It's a personal thing. I'm sure some after market mufflers have great sound, maybe better. I'm happy with having the choice. We have cops on sections of Woodward Avenue that will not hesitate to write tickets if they hear a loud exhaust.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,644 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Opening your trunk pass-thru makes a big difference in interior volume. I usually keep mine open for the extra cupholders and the noise.

Removing the stock mufflers is pretty easy. That would give you an idea how loud it could be without the stock mufflers. Once I removed them to hear what the car sounded like without, I realized they made the car raspy and opted to go with straight-thru Solo axles-backs. Much better. Note that I am running a mid-muffler underneath because I actively don't want the car to be NASCAR-loud like it was.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I'm guilty of it as a kid. Took a stock 350 74 camaro and put hookers and mufflers to make it loud, but didn't go any faster. It actually ran worse because I didn't understand how to adjust the timing for less back-pressure. But it sounded mean and that is all I cared about. The kid across the street took a stock camry and put on mufflers to make it a hair dryer. I laugh, but can't laugh too much because that was me 40 years ago. So, the bypass gurggles makes me feel like a stupid teen again, but 6.2L LS3 with 6MT makes me okay with it.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Cam and heads. Skip the BS and keep the current exhaust set up, add some lope.

Reactions: willy92 and 41AH24

·
Registered
182 Posts
i run ARH into off road x-pipe out through solo exhaust, its loud, and now shes cammed. so its really loud

Reactions: iratollah and Taze

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
@Mccarlin, I have 1-7/8" ARH with catted LT exhaust to stock mufflers. Recently a workman saw my SS in the garage and told me he's a car guy, had a ton of questions about the SS. Said he'd love to hear it startup. I was backed into my garage, he was standing in front of it outside the garage. After I started it about all he could do was complain to me how I hurt his ears and I should have warned him it would be so loud and to cover his ears.
Get behind your car, have someone start it and drive off. You may be surprised.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts