Chevy SS Forum banner

SS Hybrid??

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Big Block Meister 
#1 ·
It wont happen now, obviously. BUT IF the SS makes another production run and moves production stateside GM could be looking to expand the platform. Read an article on AutoNews this morning claiming GM is looking to have 500,000 vehicles rolling off the production line annually as EVs or Hybrids.

GM could explore the performance Hybrid route using electric motors to augment power from a downsized engine... Already the Spark EV produces more torque than a Ferrari 458, they could make the SS hybrid a real weapon...

#2 ·
I don't see GM moving production away from Australia. And I doubt they would invest the money into a model that is not meant to be mass produced to create a hybrid or EV version. We don't even know if the SS is going to get any more than the 2,000 (or maybe 900) units that are currently planned.

It's not in the cards in my opinion.

#8 ·
like others have mentioned, it is in the cards to move SS production stateside and have it sharing architecture with ATS, Camaro and CTS (dont quote me on CTS)

GM could do the SS up as a performance Hybrid. dont knock the concept more than half the cars running LMP1 at Le Mans use a form of Hybrid tech. Even KERS in F1 is a variation of Hybrid tech.

GM could do a performance Hybrid with electric engines only providing low end power and i mean POWER, and then giving a little shot of juice when you hammer it on the down shift to pass or whatever.

Infiniti has a system like this in the Q50, the new NSX is going to show up with electrics in the wheels coupled to a V6. Might even axe the gas guzzler tax.

#3 · (Edited)
If SS is a success it will be brought to the states and put on the stretched wheel base of the ATS sedan so I've read. Then Ik rider can have his stick and cake too.
I like manuals also but I don't beat everybody up about it oh I do like v8's. According to 1K Camaro and SS are the same well if you don't want four door and Camaro pricing buy a Camaro they are six speed and you can get a cheap six in it can you say Cady six. Or wait till the new 2015 Camaro comes out redone if you don't like the current one.
z51vett
Doug:smile:

#9 ·
EV engineering was that firm. I know they have been working with another Victorian mob who have been developing smaller, lighter and more powerfull whilst being more efficient in battery use. I think they were projecting doubling the battery range to well over 200 km per charge and also redsuced charging times.

Everything they have developed could theoretically be integrated into the production line.

I think assuming Commodore stays RWD post VF that Hybrid drivetrains will be crucial in keeping it relevant.

#5 ·
If there's anything different I want to see in the next generation SS, it's a hybrid setup. Electric power for city driving speeds and a combination of electric and petrol engine power for when we DEMAND power, and of course a 6-speed or DCT transmission.

BUT knowing GM, they will rather use that idea for Cadillac and eventually trickle it down to cars like the SS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.