Chevy SS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
I majored in photography in college. Film camera, scanned into the computer and post-processed in, you guessed it, Photoshop. I also teach a unit on it in a class at the school where I work. I know how to use Photoshop at or near the "expert" level. And the reason I decided to put my knowledge to use here is that I prefer my design to the template that Chris used. There's no accounting for taste, and if you prefer those designs, as you say, to each his own. But I don't like the scattershot way the blanks are arranged, there's too much going on with the logos and graphics, and the red lines around the different elements chop it up too much. It doesn't look like an OEM plaque, which IMO, if you're putting in blanks to make it look like your info is filled in on a spec sheet template, is the look you should shoot for. I also think that if you're making something to display your build info, it shouldn't give short shrift to you build info, hence the larger blank for that on my template.

I'm glad you like yours, but please, try not to talk about skill level when you don't have a good perspective on it. Simple and clean takes just as much skill as whiz-bang.
Do you have an example to show the difference

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevrolet SS A6 Roof Spare
576 Posts
Thanks....

The guy is Chris Frech, not sure what his user name is here, but you can find him on FB, and in a couple of the SS/G8 pages....give him a shout, he does good work. Tell him I said hello!

You are right, and I'm glad you were able to get yours printed and installed, but there is a difference between someone who knows how to "use" Photoshop, and someone who has mastered Photoshop and is an expert. I know how to "use" Photoshop, but I am by no means an expert, nor do I have the time or inclination to become one, and if you have seen any of Chis's work, you would see the difference between your effort and his, are like night and day.... For comparison, mine are attached. I got 2, 1 each in Chevy and Holden formats, the plan is to mount in a shadow box with other Holden and Chevy items. Actually, I got 3, one to mount under the hood.... To each his own

Airboss, who's handy work are you showing in your thumbnails? I like the Chevrolet 2017 SS & unlike some, I intend to keep it a Chevy SS. Who's this "Chris" you mentioned?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
The guy is Chris Frech, not sure what his user name is here, but you can find him on FB, and in a couple of the SS/G8 pages....give him a shout, he does good work. Tell him I said hello!

What if we don’t do FB? Or any of those others for that matter?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Just a heads up that GM is very responsive to sending Build Sheets! I sent an email yesterday to [email protected] requesting the sheet for my 2017. In an hour I got a response saying they had requested my sheet and they'd be in touch soon. The pdf of the sheet was in my inbox this morning! Now I just need to wade through this thread and figure out how a photoshop dolt know nothing like me can order one of the plaques!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Just a heads up that GM is very responsive to sending Build Sheets! I sent an email yesterday to [email protected] requesting the sheet for my 2017. In an hour I got a response saying they had requested my sheet and they'd be in touch soon. The pdf of the sheet was in my inbox this morning!
Same for me. I chalked it up to them not being busy during the holidays. The turnaround was super quick.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Alternate Plaque Install Idea

OK, I got my plaque in today from signs.com, and I was considering the different install ideas that I have read here. Thinking about it, I am just not crazy about drilling 4 holes in the fuse cover to mount. Just concerned about water getting in there at some point one day when I wash the engine. So, here is an idea that I have, and I wanted to bounce it off the peanut gallery here. I was going to take a piece of plexi or some other polycarbonate and use as a shim by leaving the center open to clear the center high spot. To cut the plexi I will CAD my shim and use a laser cutter or CNC. Let me know your thoughts in case anyone has already tried or done this. I plan to use 3M Automotive Attachment Tape that is used to hold the badges on to hold the ring to the cover and the same tape to hold the plaque to the newly fabricate shim ring. I have not read this as an option yet. If I end up doing it, I will gladly post the material used, thickness, and CAD file. I just wanted to see if the peanut gallery had any ideas or such before I started on my brain cramp idea.
OK, the quote above was my plaque install original idea. I am just not crazy about drilling 4 holes in the fuse cover to mount. Just concerned about water getting in there at some point one day when I wash the engine. Well, my original idea above of making a polycarbonate shim did not quote work out as easily as I planned. Long story short, the fuse cover is not a uniform hemispherical shape. To make it simpler, when you place the flat plaque on it, there top and bottom have different gaps than the left and right. If you have installed a plaque already, this should make sense.

Well, I am still not a fan of drilling any holes, and I had an alternate install idea today. I used 3M strip caulk for all sorts of stuff on cars. It never hardens, super sticky, and is easily removed in the future if needed. I first learned about this stuff from a friend that owns a local stereo shop. They have used it for years to hold small things in place when drilling holes or tie straps are not possible You can see my attached pics on how I used it today to install the plaque. I think this will be my final method, but I can easily change if I am wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
In the emails today...

2016 SSB, stick, hole, spare

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Can i ask where you guys are getting you logo's and other graphics from?

Reactions: the Captain

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone offer machine stamping for the plaques rather than black letter printing? Possibly look more authentic, as if it came directly from Holden. Down side, it may require two stage process to make...print the plate and stamp the letters / numbers.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well after getting all the right numbers in and working the design to look as "stock" as I could get it, I finally placed my order for my build plaque!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,056 Posts
Commodor? Believe it is Commodore, with an "e".
Sorry. Hope it isn't too late to correct.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Commodor? Believe it is Commodore, with an "e".
Sorry. Hope it isn't too late to correct.
Indeed you have a KEEN eye Pinetree!!!
That was a proof I still had on my desktop. My order will look like this attachment:

Attachments

Reactions: Pinetree

·
Registered
2,381 Posts

2016 SSB, stick, hole, spare

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I tried placing my order they said that I had a white background on mine and that it wouldn't show up right. I used the templates in this thread. Has anyone else had this problem?

261 - 280 of 309 Posts