1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Is the plaque the brushed aluminum? Looks like you secured it with screws. Really a great looking plaque.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is the plaque the brushed aluminum? Looks like you secured it with screws. Really a great looking plaque.
Thanks!

Yes, it's brushed aluminum. From their website: "Our aluminum signs are 2mm or approximately 1/13” thick. They are made up of two .008” aluminum sheets and a solid polyethylene core. This total thickness equates to a 13.5 gauge aluminum and is extremely durable."

Yes, they're attached with screws.

EDIT: The information posted and linked above refers to their PAINTED aluminum signs -- I inadvertently linked and quoted the wrong page on their website. Below is the correct information, as it applies to the brushed aluminum sign that I originally ordered. Sorry for the error.

From their website: "E-panel is a type of aluminum sign that that is made up of two thin aluminum sheets with a reinforced plastic core in between. The plastic core is Polyethylene, which is a durable plastic that adds to the longevity of the sign. The top sheet of aluminum is manufactured with a clean brushed finish."

I would encourage anyone planning to place an order with them to review their FAQs

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks!

Yes, it's brushed aluminum. From their website: "Our aluminum signs are 2mm or approximately 1/13” thick. They are made up of two .008” aluminum sheets and a solid polyethylene core. This total thickness equates to a 13.5 gauge aluminum and is extremely durable."

Yes, they're attached with screws.

Definitely looks like you put some time into it. Were you able to save the template? Didn't see anything in their stock that looked like that. Very nice.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was your plaque done with template? Would you mind sharing specifics.
Definitely looks like you put some time into it. Were you able to save the template? Didn't see anything in their stock that looked like that. Very nice.
No, I didn't use one of their templates. I started with a blank 6" x 6" design, and uploaded a complete image that was laid out in Photoshop; a larger (300 dpi) version of this:

·
Registered
735 Posts
No, I didn't use one of their templates. I started with a blank 6" x 6" design, and uploaded a complete image that was laid out in Photoshop; a larger (300 dpi) version of this:

This is really outstanding work, well done Raneil86!!!
You may want to make this a 'sticky' and or a separate thread apart from the fine work done by Low_PSI and the others on this 'Engine Cover' thread.
Please give us all the details on how you did this, the rest of us out here will want to do our own versions. You may want to post a 'fill in your own info' version of our plate.
Again, this is really NICE work ! ! ! Thanx for sharing this with us.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
First, thanks for all the kind words.

Second, credit where credit is due: The idea came primarily from combining elements seen here (forum member Scooter Trash) and here (forum member Maverick Man).

Third, I'm happy to share my work. But I'm not comfortable distributing the original file on a public forum when it contains trademarked logos and I don't own the trademarks. My lawyerin' skills are even worse than my Photoshop skills! :grin

So....

Here's a fully-editable version of the original Photoshop file, sans the logos. If you have a copy of Photoshop, you can use the linked file mostly as is, editing only the red text. Of course, you can also go nuts and modify it as you see fit. Google Image search can be used to locate any logos or other graphics that you might decide to include in your own design(s). Or, so I'm told. :wink

It looks like this:

If you don't have a copy of Photoshop, you should be able to use the graphic editor of your choice to edit one of the PNG files linked below, though it will take a bit more work. There's one for each of the 4 model years in which the SS was/is being produced. They look like this:

For the record, I uploaded a full-resolution, 24-bit PNG file (1,800 X 1,800 pixels, i.e. 6" x 6" @ 300 dpi, just like the 4 PNG files linked above) to the signs.com website after first selecting a 6x6 brushed aluminum sign. As mentioned in an earlier post, I did not use any of their other online design/layout tools. I simply uploaded the image, made sure that it was centered in the 6x6 layout grid, double-checked their preview image to ensure it looked right, and placed my order. Nothing to it!

No doubt the graphics experts can on here chime in and offer advice on how to do this properly, but this is what I did and it worked for me. Feel free to post up any questions/comments. And be sure to post pictures of your finished plaques, too!

Enjoy!

EDIT: The link above directs to the page for their PAINTED aluminum signs. This is different from the brushed aluminum sign that I actually ordered. This is the correct page. Sorry for the error!

·
Registered
735 Posts
OUTSTANDING (x2) ! ! !
I can hear keyboards clicking away already from guys out there setting up their own ID plates ! ! !
Signs.com should pay you a few bucks for all the biz you are about to send their way.
Better yet, maybe they might do us (SS Forum) a group discount!?!?!?
Either way, this is again outstanding work and I can see it being one of those 'Most Have' mods.
Thanx Again Raneil86

·
Registered
139 Posts
What font type and size is that?

Reactions: speedrye

·
Super Moderator
14,220 Posts
This is now a separate sticky thread for easier location.

·
Registered
455 Posts
First, thanks for all the kind words.

Second, credit where credit is due: The idea came primarily from combining elements seen here (forum member Scooter Trash) and here (forum member Maverick Man).

Third, I'm happy to share my work. But I'm not comfortable distributing the original file on a public forum when it contains trademarked logos and I don't own the trademarks. My lawyerin' skills are even worse than my Photoshop skills! :grin

So....

Here's a fully-editable version of the original Photoshop file, sans the logos. If you have a copy of Photoshop, you can use the linked file mostly as is, editing only the red text. Of course, you can also go nuts and modify it as you see fit. Google Image search can be used to locate any logos or other graphics that you might decide to include in your own design(s). Or, so I'm told. :wink

It looks like this:

If you don't have a copy of Photoshop, you should be able to use the graphic editor of your choice to edit one of the PNG files linked below, though it will take a bit more work. There's one for each of the 4 model years in which the SS was/is being produced. They look like this:

For the record, I uploaded a full-resolution, 24-bit PNG file (1,800 X 1,800 pixels, i.e. 6" x 6" @ 300 dpi, just like the 4 PNG files linked above) to the signs.com website after first selecting a 6x6 aluminum sign. As mentioned in an earlier post, I did not use any of their other online design/layout tools. I simply uploaded the image, made sure that it was centered in the 6x6 layout grid, double-checked their preview image to ensure it looked right, and placed my order. Nothing to it!

No doubt the graphics experts can on here chime in and offer advice on how to do this properly, but this is what I did and it worked for me. Feel free to post up any questions/comments. And be sure to post pictures of your finished plaques, too!

Enjoy!
Thank You very helpful.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What font type and size is that?
The "2016 CHEVROLET SS" is Impact @ 23.1 pt.

The rest is Helvetica Bold, most @ 13.65 pt., except "Produced By" @ 9.0 pt. and "Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia" @ 8.4 pt.

·
Super Moderator
14,220 Posts
One major point here though that I just noticed -- the SS is built by the Holden Plant in Elizabeth, South Australia, Australia and ships from Outer Harbor, Adelaide, South Australia

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One major point here though that I just noticed -- the SS is built by the Holden Plant in Elizabeth, South Australia, Australia and ships from Outer Harbor, Adelaide, South Australia
Yes, the build plant is identified as Plant L - Elizabeth, South Australia, AUS. With some minor editing, one could certainly add fields for the shipping port, if desired. Thanks for the additional info, Pinetree.

Reactions: the Captain

·
Registered
276 Posts
Trying do this with apple mac any suggestions on how go about with blank template . Would I need to purchase app if so which one have you found that works best. Or is there a something already built in compatible that can edit photo template?
Thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 312 Posts