Chevy SS Forum banner

SS arrives

8K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  Headrat 
#1 ·
Who is going to be first posting that they have there SS. So the rest can be jealous for a day or two till we get our SS's. Looking for a good write up on features and performance yeah I know 500 miles of light driving.
z51vett
Doug:yahoo:

#2 ·
Actually more than 500 miles....

New Vehicle Break-In
Use the following precautions to
improve performance:

For the first 1000 km (621 mi):
Do not make full throttle starts.
Avoid downshifting to brake or
slow the vehicle.
Do not drive at any one constant
speed.
Use moderate acceleration in
lower gears.
Avoid vehicle speeds above
110 km/h (68 mph).

Between the first 1000 km
(621 mi) and 5000km (3,107 mi),
heavy acceleration in lower
gears may be used.
Vehicle speeds above 110 km/h
(68 mph) should be limited to
five minutes
per usevoid making hard stops for the
first 350 km (217 mi) to avoid
premature wear and early
replacement of brakes.

Reactions: chevypwr and 2074
#9 ·
Actually more than 500 miles....

New Vehicle Break-In
Use the following precautions to
improve performance:

For the first 1000 km (621 mi):
Do not make full throttle starts.
Avoid downshifting to brake or
slow the vehicle.
Do not drive at any one constant
speed.
Use moderate acceleration in
lower gears.
Avoid vehicle speeds above
110 km/h (68 mph).

Between the first 1000 km
(621 mi) and 5000km (3,107 mi),
heavy acceleration in lower
gears may be used.
Vehicle speeds above 110 km/h
(68 mph) should be limited to
five minutes
per use. avoid making hard stops for the
first 350 km (217 mi) to avoid
premature wear and early
replacement of brakes.
Someone else has been busy reading the owner's manual!

You can bet I'm going to follow this to the letter!

Ask any CTS-V owner about not breaking it in correctly and the rear needing replacement about the same time the OLM tells you to change the oil the first time!

#3 ·
:lol2:

How many of you guys drive until 500 miles to actually put your foot into them?

Perfect example.....TEST DRIVE! When I go to buy one of these cars I'm going to see what it has under the hood....simply by putting my right foot to the floor. I'm not going to spend $45K on a brick. If it doesn't react the way it should then I'm going to save my money.

#10 ·
Break-ins are always full of myths and legends. With the industrial standardization there is today, it's very rare for parts not to fit correctly as it used to happen, which is why powertrain warranties are getting longer. It's true, though, that a lot of parts have protective coatings (tires, brakes, bearings) and will not perform their best until they're lightly used or warmed up. This is what I do and recommend for the break-in period:

- Do not drive too fast for the street you're in (I'm not into the "speed kills" bullshit, but you won't be able to do a proper emergency stop until your tires/brakes had a few kms of use).
- Do not redline the engine until it reaches the optimum operation temperature.
- Do not accelerate hard or reach high speeds until the transmission and differential oils are warm and have lubed the gears properly - be advised that they take longer to warm up than the engine and the car needs to be moving for proper lubrication.
- If possible, wait a couple of minutes after start-up for the engine oil to circulate and lubricate heads, pistons and, in OHC engines, cams.
- Avoid using the stereo - keep listening to the mechanical components. A strange sound might warn you of defective parts before they become damaged.

Reactions: Commodoreman2000
#12 ·
- Avoid using the stereo - keep listening to the mechanical components. A strange sound might warn you of defective parts before they become damaged.
What's the break-in time for the stereo? :trollFace:

#11 ·
I was under the impression that engines were "broken in" at the factory nowadays. If not, I agree about new vehicles being engineered/built better so the break in period isnt as crucial. Then again im not the one dropping $50K on a car lol.

If anyone here can go 500 miles without going WOT youre a better man than I.

#17 ·
Hey y'all,

I know how difficult it will be to follow the owner’s manual. I can only imagine the temptation to go WOT on these spectacular beauties!

I do want to caution you that the owner’s manual is correct and you do need to give your SS time to break in. This is to ensure that everything including your rear axle is been properly prepared. The internal components need a number of heat cycles to bed themselves together to prevent excessive noise.

Once you are past the break in time, WOT away! :wavetowel2:

Hey Cajun I expect you to be rocking away with your stereo blasting some great music!

:Dance:The break in song should be Radar Love by Golden Earring. It does make me want to drive fast so watch your speed!

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#21 ·
Hey Cajun I expect you to be rocking away with your stereo blasting some great music!

:Dance:The break in song should be Radar Love by Golden Earring. It does make me want to drive fast so watch your speed!

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Fat Bottom Girls by Queen

:thumbsUp:

#32 ·
I am thinking I need to update my driving play list now! These are some great song choices. The oldies do have a place in my heart too, Diehard. Hot Rod Lincoln is a great song and wow, so is Little GTO! The oldies do get me pumped up but that is more when I am driving an older classic car or at a car show.

I want to go on a road trip now and just blast some tunes!:10:

Happy Halloween!!!

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#37 ·
I had the six CD player in my 06 Impala SS and three of the discs were always Pink Floyd. I could hit I-5 headin south with the cruise on 85 and never think about nothin with Floyd tunes a playin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.