Chevy SS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Etown's drag strip still exists, but it is not available for drag racing. They built a figure 8 drift track on it.
Thought I saw something like that, but since ETown is dead to me, I didn’t invest the brain power

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Etown's drag strip still exists, but it is not available for drag racing. They built a figure 8 drift track on it.
No it’s not. They demoed it and it’s now a parking lot for a Texas company that has auction cars.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Far as I knew the etown deal fell through - but if it didn’t, that’s Copart, this is IAA or something like that. We still haven’t heard anything and Atco ain’t sayin boo
Yes this was it. There was a huge article of them with cars parked there and no more strip. Last I heard atco was going down the same path and the kids sold it

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Yes this was it. There was a huge article of them with cars parked there and no more strip. Last I heard atco was going down the same path and the kids sold it
‘Kids’ is etown. Daughter and two sons of the deceased owner.

Atco is. Wholly owned by an individual who bought it in 2012

But that’s neither here nor there.

Yeah, I read the article.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
‘Kids’ is etown. Daughter and two sons of the deceased owner.

Atco is. Wholly owned by an individual who bought it in 2012

But that’s neither here nor there.

Yeah, I read the article.
Lol ok so I confused the two but both were being bought by copart. Is atco not closing now?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Lol ok so I confused the two but both were being bought by copart. Is atco not closing now?
It’s all good

Far as Atco goes, no one knows for sure because the owner and employees aren’t saying. I think he’s just waiting for the deal to finalize before saying anything, unlike ETown, which just abruptly shut down the drag racing (rest of the facility remained operational - that’s why they’re dead to me) but then the deal fell through.

I assume they are gonna at least finish the season.

I’m more annoyed that I bought a house and moved 90 miles away to be close to the track and before I even had a chance to make a pass I got this news. Been stewing all year about this.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Ugh, so that's the Atco update, I heard a rumor up here a couple weeks ago Atco was in trouble (it's farther than I want to drive to run but it's legendary for mineshaft air in the fall). I'm fortunate to be near Lebanon Valley and it's a great track but damned if it didn't seem to be a pretty low turnout Wednesday night. Island has been hanging on by a thread for a few years now since it had closed and the family was able to get it back up again. :(

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Ugh, so that's the Atco update, I heard a rumor up here a couple weeks ago Atco was in trouble (it's farther than I want to drive to run but it's legendary for mineshaft air in the fall). I'm fortunate to be near Lebanon Valley and it's a great track but damned if it didn't seem to be a pretty low turnout Wednesday night. Island has been hanging on by a thread for a few years now since it had closed and the family was able to get it back up again. :(
Yeah...Island is two hours from me now (40 minutes before) and it’s too far to go just to get kicked lol. Atco and Cecil are my local tracks now with Maple Grove a distant third.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I’m more annoyed that I bought a house and moved 90 miles away to be close to the track and before I even had a chance to make a pass I got this news. Been stewing all year about this.
It's a sign. You are a lot closer to NJMP now. Once I got into driving tracks with turns, the desire for drag racing went right out the window.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
It's a sign. You are a lot closer to NJMP now. Once I got into driving tracks with turns, the desire for drag racing went right out the window.
I hear you, my wallet would beg to differ

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
10/1/20 around 5pm, 295 N near RT38. SLIHR. I was going south in my PBM

·
Registered
569 Posts
Spotted a 2106/2017 SLIH red on Chicopee Row in Groton, MA ca 1420 hours. I was headed south in my JGM, it was headed north. First time I've been in mine when I spotted another in a long time.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
While we're bumping this, 1/5 in Hopewell Junction NY Rt 82 around noontime, red with Holden badges. I was in a nondescript Colorado. Hadn't seen that one in Dutchess county before.

·
Registered
743 Posts
14/15 red one? Knew/met someone at car show down that way a few years ago with red 14 with conversion and solo exhaust.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
14/15 red one? Knew/met someone at car show down that way a few years ago with red 14 with conversion and solo exhaust.
I think it may have been a 14/15, I didn't get a great look. But I did hear it go by and I think it was fairly quiet so probably a stock exhaust.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think it may have been a 14/15, I didn't get a great look. But I did hear it go by and I think it was fairly quiet so probably a stock exhaust.
That was probably me. I have a Red 2014 and live pretty close to Hopewell. It's all stock except for the badges. The Red SS from 3 years isn't the same. I've only had it about 7 months. It was a California car and I'm the 2nd owner. I've only seen one other SS around here since I started paying attention. Do you have an OBM? I saw one in Fishkill a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
That was probably me. I have a Red 2014 and live pretty close to Hopewell. It's all stock except for the badges. The Red SS from 3 years isn't the same. I've only had it about 7 months. It was a California car and I'm the 2nd owner. I've only seen one other SS around here since I started paying attention. Do you have an OBM? I saw one in Fishkill a few months ago.
I have a Heron White one, but I work in Hopewell/East Fishkill so I'm often in the area. It's not a fair weather only car, but I only drive it occasionally in the winter when the roads aren't too salty. I haven't seen the OBM car yet, there's I believe 3 of us white cars near the Poughkeepsie area.

But next time I see the proprietor of the world's best known latex manufacturer I'll be sure to wave :)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Mystic green 16 and red 14 saw back in 2018 orange county emergency center car show, their was a police officer there without his car but owned a 2015 white ss. Mine is the 17 on the right. In 2017 and 2019 no other ss were present, the wife and i try to go every year, last photo was 2019 with both of ours. We did not attend in 2020 as it got pushed to late summer i believe.

Attachments

Reactions: Brass

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Heron White one, but I work in Hopewell/East Fishkill so I'm often in the area. It's not a fair weather only car, but I only drive it occasionally in the winter when the roads aren't too salty. I haven't seen the OBM car yet, there's I believe 3 of us white cars near the Poughkeepsie area.

But next time I see the proprietor of the world's best known latex manufacturer I'll be sure to wave :)
On 2 separate occasions I had someone come over and tell me their friend also has an SS. I haven't met any owners directly yet. I'll keep a look out for the 3 HW's

321 - 340 of 353 Posts