Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About time to get new plugs and wires for my Pontiac G8GT with just under 92,000 miles. Still running beautifully.

Found a GM parts source a while back with excellent prices, can't find it again. Some of the good ones like GMPartsDirect don't show spark plugs in their illustrated parts breakdowns.

Looking for the Iridium plugs.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Don

·
Super Moderator
5,469 Posts
Probably find lots of choices competitively priced at RockAuto.com Let us know what you end up with!

·
Registered
487 Posts
About time to get new plugs and wires for my Pontiac G8GT with just under 92,000 miles. Still running beautifully.

Found a GM parts source a while back with excellent prices, can't find it again. Some of the good ones like GMPartsDirect don't show spark plugs in their illustrated parts breakdowns.

Looking for the Iridium plugs.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Don

I haven't looked at the Delco/OEM iridium plugs but I highly recommend the NGK Iridiums.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Probably find lots of choices competitively priced at RockAuto.com Let us know what you end up with!
Thanks for reminding me. I've used Rockauto a number of times and I think they're excellent. New iridium (standard equipment) plugs and OEM plug wires are $72 plus shipping. There is also a GM promotion for $12 off of the plugs, so $59 and some.

Local O'Reilly's is about $127 for the same parts.

So, no big surprise that I'm going with Rockauto. Don

Edited to add that the rebate is $3 per plug, so $24, awesome! Don

·
Registered
258 Posts
AC Delco is great for GM stuff. The plugs almost always have rebates on them, $3 for the Iridiums. Amazon and Rock Auto seem to be the cheapest places for legit ones. I always see them on Ebay for dirt cheap, but have heard stories of some being counterfeit .

·
Registered
183 Posts
RockAuto always has a 5% discount code too. Type it into the "How Did You Hear About Us?" box.

The codes for today are:

MMAR19
or

·
Super Moderator
5,523 Posts
I thought those iridium plus cause trouble of course this was a while back as in nearly a decade old memory kicks in every now and again. CB 750 chime in if you know.
z51vett
Doug

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought those iridium plus cause trouble of course this was a while back as in nearly a decade old memory kicks in every now and again. CB 750 chime in if you know.
z51vett
Doug
I have no knowledge regarding that but the iridiums are OEM for the G8GT.

As I said, the car is running beautifully but new plugs and wires should keep it that way. Will have to pay more attention to mileage and see if that improves? Don

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
z51vett
Doug

Most of the complaints I've heard about iridium plugs had to do with the center electrode breaking off (and the collateral damage that caused). The primary reason for them breaking off is improper technique when gapping the plugs, i.e. you CAN NOT pry open a gap by wedging against the center and ground electrodes- PERIOD! For this reason, lots of folks say you cannot gap iridium plugs at all, but there is a way with the right tool that is indeed possible to gap the plugs. It just must be done by solely levering on the ground electrode without contacting the brittle center electrode at all.

:2cents:

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
z51vett
Doug
When iridium first came out and were installed on cars that had copper/conventional plugs as OEM they caused a rough idle. This was/is no fault of the plugs; the ignition system was not designed for them.

Good memory :wink

Edit: The same as when switching to platinum plugs when you car originally came with conventional/copper.

Always use specified plug composition and heat range. Custom builds may require a change in heat range only; but be very careful when changing heat ranges.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
I thought Platinum or Iridium plugs were still copper core but had those precious metals on the tip only...

Bill

·
Registered
258 Posts
Gee whiz, thats a stellar deal. I thought I was doing well when I bought a set for the truck last fall from Amazon for $45. I still got the rebate, so they ended up being all of $21 for the set, which is still great.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I thought Platinum or Iridium plugs were still copper core but had those precious metals on the tip only...

Bill
Yeah just the tips. Keeps them from wearing out, pushing 100k.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Bought last week from Walmart website; get $24 AC/Delco rebate and you’re set with 8 GM OE iridium plugs for $12.50, shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my $24 rebate Saturday, less than 2 weeks from submitting the form online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Sorry, why would you replace wires that aren't defective? Wires don't wear out and you car drives well. Plugs, I get, wires, I don't.
This is simply not true. Wires do wear out due to heat generated under the hood and if nothing else, are usually damaged when they are removed to replace the spark plugs due to sticking to the spark plug insulator, due to heat.

So, in other words, you have them off, in your hands...why wouldn't you replace them?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts