Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Red Hot 2 SS sunroof and spare
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know similar conversations have been covered in multiple threads, because I think I've already read most of them... So I apologize for starting another new thread and it can be deleted if necessary. But I am wondering if anyone can specifically compare the sound levels of the Solo Axleback exhaust to having the Mid-Mufflers removed?

I recently bought a bone stock 2014 SS. I am absolutely loving it, but right now I just want a little louder exhaust. At this time I am not looking for power upgrades (obviously). Before too long I will most likely add a Rotofab intake and Livernois tune. But for now I am debating between buying the Solo's or just going to a muffler shop and removing the mid-mufflers.

Has anyone heard both setups in person to compare? I know they will sound different, but which one was louder? Is one more neighbor/kid-friendly than the other? After reading a few comments on here, including one from 14RedHotSS who said "Having the factory mid muffler removed does wonders for the OEM exhaust sound without any droning issues," I am leaning towards that route. It is cheap and I could get it done today.

The drawbacks are that unlike the Solo's, it is not as easily reversible. I also like the quad tips on the Solo's. I could always add tips to the stock rear mufflers, or I might still upgrade those down the line. I guess I'm just looking for any reasons NOT to remove the mid-mufflers. My kids do ride in the car sometimes, but my last car had a louder exhaust too. I just don't want anything crazy loud or something that drones. Thank you in advance for any insight! Here's my car because pictures always make a thread better, right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just went through this same scenario. Ultimately I decided on the Solo for the same reason you mentioned - returning to stock is easier. That being said I installed the Solo this week and found that I personally desire even more sound. Don’t get me wrong it’s an improvement over stock, and might be just right for you.

I am putting in a Rotofab intake and livernois tune within the next week, and once that is installed I will reassess. But the most likely scenario is that I will go ahead and delete the mid muffler in addition to keeping the Solo. As far as drone goes, you can adjust the j-pipes on the Solo until it disappears. Deleting the mid muffler shouldn’t limit the Solo’s ability to mitigate drone either. At that point I’m not worried about cutting out the muffler, because if I’m still not happy with the sound I’m going to rip out everything and do a full exhaust anyway. At least that’s my rationale 😉.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Welcome to the SS community @bulls_fan.
I have had the solo cat-back on my 15 M6 for five years and no complaints. The full system is plenty loud for me. I didn’t try just the axle back but I suspect that the factory mufflers would be much louder without the factory mid-pipe. If I didn’t care about keeping the original parts, I would’ve used the solo mid-pipe with the factory mufflers but you would have to cut the socket joints off to do it. The cost to buy new cat-back from dealer is over $2k so I opted not to cut anything. If you can have a mid made that keeps your stock pieces in tact I think that’s the way to go. I think the cat-back is like $1200

·
Registered
2014 Red Hot 2 SS sunroof and spare
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys! Am I correct in calling it the Mid-Muffler? I've also heard Secondary Catalytic Converter as well as Resonator. Are these all interchangeable? Does anyone have a diagram of the stock exhaust system on the 14-15 SS they could share?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys! Am I correct in calling it the Mid-Muffler? I've also heard Secondary Catalytic Converter as well as Resonator. Are these all interchangeable? Does anyone have a diagram of the stock exhaust system on the 14-15 SS they could share?
Not interchangeable. The SS has 4 cats. You have the primary cats that come just after the exhaust manifold, then it splits off into an H-pipe with secondary cats where the pipes converge, followed by a mid-section that goes into the resonator (aka mid-muffler as you called it), then out to the dual mufflers at the end of the h pipe. This part shows the h-pipe with the secondary cats and resonator. 92272880 GM Exhaust Pipe | GM Parts Store

·
Registered
5 Posts
You will likely never be happy with any exhaust sound until you replace the primary cats with high flow ones. Was the same for my G8, wife’s SS Camaro or our CTS V. Had to modify the Billy Boat cats to fit properly. I bet most would be happy with the performance and sound of high flow cats and the mid muffler replaces with a x-pipe. If you don’t want to cut the original exhaust. Get the Solo cats or Kooks mids. More performance , quiet on cruise and some sound on wot. You get tired of stock fast

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
654 Posts
Solo cats really open up the exhaust sound. I hated the tin sounding exhaust with the stock muffs and h-pipe. Deleting the secondary cats while using the stock mid-pipe with no mid muffler/resonator and the Solo Axle Back Cat back was way too raspy. Same with the Solo Street Race with Solo cats; way too raspy. Having the Solo cats and the Mach Shorty Unbalanced Cat back sounds just right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts