Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my X-Force catback on the car since I purchased it and despite it's being a 3" system it was entirely too quiet, fast forward a few months adding Kooks headers and 3" catless mids, here's that sound clip and it's still too docile for me.

So I did some research and then reached out to Solo, after speaking with their rep I setteld on the Cyclone catback w/Kooks connectors. The Cyclone system is exactly what I wanted, unobnoxious at idle, loud when I need it to be, no drone at cruise and a head-snapping startup and billow of fury on WOT. I was told by Solo that mine was the first SS to be equipped with one and I couldn't be happier with it. It's not available on their site yet, but calling in you can speak to one of their reps and order it.

Setup
Cold Start
Idling
Revs

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Thanks for the links, definitely has a different tone than some of the others I've heard. Btw, open headers will get your feet tingling if you want to go one step further! ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links, definitely has a different tone than some of the others I've heard. Btw, open headers will get your feet tingling if you want to go one step further! ?
'Open headers' you say? ? I've never heard of these, can you elaborate?

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
655 Posts
I've had my X-Force catback on the car since I purchased it and despite it's being a 3" system it was entirely too quiet, fast forward a few months adding Kooks headers and 3" catless mids, here's that sound clip and it's still too docile for me.

So I did some research and then reached out to Solo, after speaking with their rep I setteld on the Cyclone catback w/Kooks connectors. The Cyclone system is exactly what I wanted, unobnoxious at idle, loud when I need it to be, no drone at cruise and a head-snapping startup and billow of fury on WOT. I was told by Solo that mine was the first SS to be equipped with one and I couldn't be happier with it. It's not available on their site yet, but calling in you can speak to one of their reps and order it.

Setup
Cold Start
Idling
Revs
That setup looks like their Solo-Mach Cat back. What’s the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That setup looks like their Solo-Mach Cat back. What’s the difference?

2.5” system with a x-pipe (resonators) after the mids, branch resonators at the axle's that open to 3"
I believe it's the section after the mids and how the axle back resonators are positioned that make it a tad less abrasive than the Mach.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
'Open headers' you say? ? I've never heard of these, can you elaborate?
Easy! Throw away everything after the header collectors. No cats, no x-pipe, no nothin' - exhaust dumps right under your feet! Legal? Not in a million years! Years ago I picked up a ticket on my old goat within a mile of my house! Man in blue just followed the exhaust echoing off the houses! Dumb move but I loved it!

Reactions: CB750

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Easy! Throw away everything after the header collectors. No cats, no x-pipe, no nothin' - exhaust dumps right under your feet! Legal? Not in a million years! Years ago I picked up a ticket on my old goat within a mile of my house! Man in blue just followed the exhaust echoing off the houses! Dumb move but I loved it!
:LOL: I'm pretty sure I would be pulled over in a matter of minutes if I went that route.

·
Registered
655 Posts
This sounds about as loud as my Solo Street Race which is suppose to be Solo’s loudest setup.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This sounds about as loud as my Solo Street Race which is suppose to be Solo’s loudest setup.
The cyclone is (at least now) their second loudest system. So it might be just as loud as the street race system. Does yours calm down when you get out of it or is it "on" all the time?

·
Registered
655 Posts
The solo is (at least now) their second loudest system. So it might be just as loud as the street race system. Does yours calm down when you get out of it or is it "on" all the time?
On all the time. Very loud pops on deacceleration. It was manageable with stock cats but too loud for me with the Solo cats. I have since swapped the mid-section out for the Mach Shorty Unbalanced and will try to sell the Street Race midsection.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
On all the time. Very loud pops on deacceleration. It was manageable with stock cats but too loud for me with the Solo cats. I have since swapped the mid-section out for the Mach Shorty Unbalanced and will try to sell the Street Race midsection.

Yep, that's the difference with the Cyclone, it's only 'on' when I engage it. Cruising, driving in normal mode and mild acceleration and she's tame. But if I toss it into sport or hang out in 2nd gear it's a beast, or of course on WOT.

·
Registered
15 6M Perfect Blue SS
7 Posts

Do you have any sound clips of the new exhaust?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Solo Street Race - very loud inside cabin with Solo cats. I had about 50 pounds of sound deadening material in my car and it was still too loud.

Solo Mach Shorty with Solo cats. I took out all the sound deadening material as it was TOO QUIET in the car and it’s perfect now. The exhaust tone is so much better, too. With the Street Race the exhaust tone while driving made me sound like a truck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Solo Street Race - very loud inside cabin with Solo cats. I had about 50 pounds of sound deadening material in my car and it was still too loud.

Solo Mach Shorty with Solo cats. I took out all the sound deadening material as it was TOO QUIET in the car and it’s perfect now. The exhaust tone is so much better, too. With the Street Race the exhaust tone while driving made me sound like a truck.

Good lord the street race exhaust is really loud, you weren't kidding about how loud that is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts