Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet SS Silver
557 Posts
Maybe we're just getting old, but this is the noise that I grew up with in small blocks. Could be that there are more people today that grew up with VVT engines and overhead cams.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Early LS1's had a piston slap at cold idle that many mistook for real issues. I even bought a 98 TA for pennies as the owner was convinced that piston slap was a knock. I know that this has been designed out for the most part, but I still occasionally hear it in cold LS2's.

The valve train on most LSX's I have worked with all have the sewing machine sounds at idle with some noticeable ticking that could be normal valvetrain noise and/or fuel injectors.

Funny thing as soon as you think you hear a tick, you focus every bit of energy on listening for that tick and possibly falsely convincing yourself there is a real problem.

In my experience if you had a broken rocker, failed roller or cam lobe, or bent pushrod you would definitely know.

I run mine without the engine cover, and can definitely hear valvetrain/injector noises at idle. These noises is the exact reason that cover is there.

I also don't think that at idle the peak cylinder pressures would be anywhere near detonation levels...87 Octane would not cause detonation at idle.

I think what you are hearing are normal LS noises...enjoy the car.
Thanks for this insite...to be clear with everyone, I don't necessarily think what i hear isn't "normal".. It's why I'm here brainstorming with you all... But, I also don't write everything off either. Especially, when random people can "guarantee" there is no problem.

I also have a 2000 K1500 suburban, where gm claimed that the "knocking" or "tapping" sound the engine was making in the beginning was "normal"...it was later determined to be piston slap. Some new owners were lucky enough to have their engines replaced at that time, some only the problem pistons. There were websites dedicated to this. Mine currently makes the sound, 15 yrs later, without any drivability issues. I'm the 3rd owner. I'm still derbin the Burban :)

I definitely will still enjoy the SS to the fullest! I'm just not as familiar with the noises this engine makes, yet.

·
Super Moderator
14,277 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, if you are worried, just have it checked out. Mine makes some noise, but it's just an engine doing it's thing. If you hear a sharp sound like metal striking flint or something like that, I would be worried, but this is more rhythmic and not a concern to me.

For comparison, my daily driver is a Turbo Sonata with Direct Injection. That thing makes all kinds of noises at idle. You should hear it in freezing temperatures...that thing is clicking like crazy, but nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I definitely will still enjoy the SS to the fullest! I'm just not as familiar with the noises this engine makes, yet.
Well, for starters.... It burbles if the little black button on the dashed is pushed when your foot is on the brake.

It will sound like a deep long belch as you ease out leaving a stop sign.

But the noise that gets everyone's attention is how it bellers when you push the pedal on the right going from 50 - 100 while passing a line of cars on a 2 lane road.

So there's 3 noises you won't need to take it to the dealer to have checked. :wink

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It does not, more pronounced at idle... noise (valve train chatter) sounds like it's on driver side... has not affected performance

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, for starters.... It burbles if the little black button on the dashed is pushed when your foot is on the brake.

It will sound like a deep long belch as you ease out leaving a stop sign.

But the noise that gets everyone's attention is how it bellers when you push the pedal on the right going from 50 - 100 while passing a line of cars on a 2 lane road.

So there's 3 noises you won't need to take it to the dealer to have checked.
Ha-ha! I see what you did there... :)

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Uh-oh! This isn't "normal".. You'd better get this checked out! ;P
My tick showed up. Right after last service. Oil level right at minimum. Filled to just over mid point, ticking gone.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Use 93 Octane.
Make sure your oil tank is full.
I'm big on high end synthetics & the UltraGuard Filters on LS motors.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I hesitate to even bring this up because I know LS engines are a bit noisy AND I had a recent Blackstone oil analysis that was normal.

However, when I have the hood open and rev the engine to about 2k, once it comes back to idle there is a light tapping from the engine (have not isolated it to a specific location) that lasts for 3 to 5 seconds or so before it goes back to normal sewing machine sounds of injectors/lifters/etc. I’m planning to take it by the dealer to get an engine tech to listen to it. I don’t hear this when I’m driving, only when the hood is open. Thoughts?

2016 with almost 7k on it, Mobil 1 and OEM filter in last 500 miles.

2016 SSB, stick, hole, spare

·
Registered
955 Posts
Tap on the engine and see if it taps back. ;)

Seriously though, you could use "ye ole long screwdriver" and place it near likely noisemakers (like the valve train) an listen to the handle. You could also use a stethoscope of course if you have one or have access to it. If you can't pinpoint it, you may need to wait for it to develop for a while.

·
Registered
2017 SS, 2018 Camaro LS/RS
38 Posts
I have been looking for this thread for a few days now, and finally found it. I actually had a similar sound and shortly after it got noticeable, I got a code (P0305 - misfire on Cylinder 5). Swapped the coils and the code was the same. On the trip to get the code read (approximately 1 mile), I got white smoke from the driver side tailpipe at idle (sitting at a light and then in the lot at O'Reilley's). Smoke has gotten worse since. I changed the plug at cylinder 5 and the smoke got worse initially, and levelled back off. Just over 70k on a 2017 6MT. Also noted that the coolant level was low. I will check the oil level in the morning when I get home and see if there's anything else to note... crying

Good news - I still have my LTG-equipped Camaro to drive (manual trans also)!!

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Try swapping plug wire. That's wish full thinking there! Inspect valve springs, rockers, and push rods. I had a constant misfire and cold header pipe on suspect cylinder. Turned out to be a lifter...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts