Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you skilled engine builders = I hear a slight ticking / tapping from driver side (left bank) on my RH2 with 6sp MT ---- to me it sounds like a rocker arm or maybe lifter... hard to say. Does not affect how engine idles or pulls on load though. Any ideas so I can have dealer examine next time it's in there? thanks! :frown

·
Registered
57 Posts
I cant really help unless I can hear it for myself but I cant imagine you have a bad rocker or spring. In my past experience headers will make a "tick" sound, or at least they have on my other vehicles and if you have a small leak than its just magnified.

If its stock and under warranty go to the dealer and express your concern. I would even ask them to let your car idle next to one they have on the lot and compare....Mainly because I don't trust dealers and some will just want to write you off.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Could be engine knock from using lower octane gas.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Crazy that you mention that, I also heard what sounded like a rocker ticking this morning on the drivers side. My car has 1800 miles and is bone stock. If I hear it again this afternoon after she sits and cools down, I am going right back to the dealer!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I notice a light tick also when the car idles. I had similar experience with my g8. I recently had an oil change done at the dealer could be poor quality oil who knows what they put in there.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think it is just a pushrod smallblock doing what they do.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now using 89 and higher octane / runs much better... still has initial valve train chatter when restarting hot engine = maybe related to the ticking and tapping I'm hearing = thanks ALL

·
Registered
73 Posts
Now using 89 and higher octane / runs much better... still has initial valve train chatter when restarting hot engine = maybe related to the ticking and tapping I'm hearing = thanks ALL
Don't be cheap and use fuel with an octane rating lower than the recommended value of 91. You are asking for trouble. Pre detonation is not good! Even if the knock sensors pick up the detonation and pull some timing out under load to prevent (or minimize) it, you are losing power and efficiency. Is this what you want out of your SS?

As with the other posts, I cannot say what the ticking at idle is without hearing it. I can tell you that I have owned several LS engines over the years and they all had a little lifter noise at idle. It would always go away as the engine speed increased (and the oil pressure went up). I probably would not sweat it as long as it is going away and not getting worse under load.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Now using 89 and higher octane / runs much better...
In all likelihood you're spending more $ per mile -- just on fuel! -- running 89 than premium.

Real example: my '96 S-10 would get 27 mpg highway with 87 but 32 mpg with 89. Cost per mile 5.56 cents with the cheap stuff and 5.31 cents with mid-grade. This was consistently true for the 173,000 miles I drove her.

Fake SS example: $4.10 gas and 18 mpg with 89 and $4.20 gas and 19 mpg with 91 will still net a small fuel cost savings per mile and a better performing engine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a similar sound/noise from my engine. Most noticeable from the passenger's front wheel well area, but present on the driver's side as well.

It sounds very similar to what my '02 Z28 sounded like at idle (w/ 160k miles) though not quite as pronounced (which at least logically makes sense to my feeble brain). I have simply chalked it up as a noise that LS-series engines make. If it gets worse, I'll take it in for a professional opinion.

For the record, I only use 93 octane, and have for the life of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
15,025 Posts
Normal.
Fine.
Most if not all others have the same.
Sounds like a ticking injector/slight valve tap.
Louder rear driver's bank.
It will come and go and get louder/quieter/disappear randomly.
Put you ear down to the rocker under the driver's A pillar and you will also hear it a bit louder resonating thru the exhaust.
It is ok.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've also been suspicious of this similarly described noise in my car. The noise becomes more pronounced while keeping the RPM at about 2750 mark, in first gear. More noticeable by a curb/wall... Is this the same with you guys?

I also notice it louder on one side of the engine more than the other, but the driver's side is louder. I have the cover on, so I'm not sure if it's just the way the sound bounces around. It makes me want to check the valve adjustment though.

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
Several members reported valve train failures, rocker bearings, bent pushrod.
I would have mine checked for any warranty repair. Cause? WOT?
Or maybe bad parts. Happens to me at work frequently.
My SS has no such noise.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Early LS1's had a piston slap at cold idle that many mistook for real issues. I even bought a 98 TA for pennies as the owner was convinced that piston slap was a knock. I know that this has been designed out for the most part, but I still occasionally hear it in cold LS2's.

The valve train on most LSX's I have worked with all have the sewing machine sounds at idle with some noticeable ticking that could be normal valvetrain noise and/or fuel injectors.

Funny thing as soon as you think you hear a tick, you focus every bit of energy on listening for that tick and possibly falsely convincing yourself there is a real problem.

In my experience if you had a broken rocker, failed roller or cam lobe, or bent pushrod you would definitely know.

I run mine without the engine cover, and can definitely hear valvetrain/injector noises at idle. These noises is the exact reason that cover is there.

I also don't think that at idle the peak cylinder pressures would be anywhere near detonation levels...87 Octane would not cause detonation at idle.

I think what you are hearing are normal LS noises...enjoy the car.

Reactions: RedhotFLSS

·
Premium Member
15,025 Posts
I've also been suspicious of this similarly described noise in my car. The noise becomes more pronounced while keeping the RPM at about 1700, in first gear. More noticeable by a curb/wall... Is this the same with you guys?

I also notice it louder on one side of the engine more than the other, but the driver's side is louder. I have the cover on, so I'm not sure if it's just the way the sound bounces around. It makes me want to check the valve adjustment though.
There is no valve adjustment......

and the sound is normal; for the upteenth time.

·
Premium Member
15,025 Posts
Several members reported valve train failures, rocker bearings, bent pushrod.
I would have mine checked for any warranty repair. Cause? WOT?
Or maybe bad parts. Happens to me at work frequently.
My SS has no such noise.
Stir the pot and juice up the troops .....

The sound is normal.

·
Premium Member
15,025 Posts
Early LS1's had a piston slap at cold idle that many mistook for real issues. I even bought a 98 TA for pennies as the owner was convinced that piston slap was a knock. I know that this has been designed out for the most part, but I still occasionally hear it in cold LS2's.

The valve train on most LSX's I have worked with all have the sewing machine sounds at idle with some noticeable ticking that could be normal valvetrain noise and/or fuel injectors.

Funny thing as soon as you think you hear a tick, you focus every bit of energy on listening for that tick and possibly falsely convincing yourself there is a real problem.

In my experience if you had a broken rocker, failed roller or cam lobe, or bent pushrod you would definitely know.

I run mine without the engine cover, and can definitely hear valvetrain/injector noises at idle. These noises is the exact reason that cover is there.

I also don't think that at idle the peak cylinder pressures would be anywhere near detonation levels...87 Octane would not cause detonation at idle.

I think what you are hearing are normal LS noises...enjoy the car.
... and we have a winner.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts