Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone else has or is dealing with this...

I started receiving an intermittent dash warning for the Side Detection System early this spring. It started infrequently, popping up occasionally while driving. Then it became more persistent, popping up immediately at start up. It became apparent that it was directly related to water, whether it be rain or when the car was washed.

When I scanned it, I found a communication fault for the passenger side control module.

I brought it in to the dealer in early May, who confirmed the problem. I was told that the issue is known to GM and that there is a TSB pertaining to the failures and that it concerns a water ingress problem with the connectors and/or wiring harness. They intend to replace the sensors, harness and controllers with allegedly updated parts under warranty.

The problem is that the new parts are not available, nor is there any estimate for when they may be. In my last conversation with my service adviser a couple of weeks ago, he informed me that it wouldn't be an issue since the claim/repair is noted in my file and that it would be covered even once my warranty expires. When I pointed out that my B2B warranty continues for another 16 months or 14k miles and asked whether the anticipated wait meant that was really going to come into play, he simply said, "well, I'd like to say no." He also went on to say that GM would not permit the parts to be replaced with current stock (it appears as though I could order them myself from the regular online GM parts distributors).

The system obviously isn't critical, but that error every time I get in the car is a bit annoying. The bigger concern is the inability to receive parts in a timely manner for a car that is well under two years old.

·
Premium Member
14,019 Posts
They intend to replace the sensors, harness and controllers with allegedly updated parts under warranty.

The above is big time overkill and makes no sense.

I call BS on the whole story. Start to finish.

Play dumb; know nothing but the message pops up and take it to another dealer for diagnosis.

·
Registered
60 Posts
They intend to replace the sensors, harness and controllers with allegedly updated parts under warranty.

The above is big time overkill and makes no sense.

I call BS on the whole story. Start to finish.

Play dumb; know nothing but the message pops up and take it to another dealer for diagnosis.
I never recall seeing a TSB on this. I would do the exact same as CB said.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Don't feel alone if you foot the bill for it. I have had two issues where paying to fix the issue
myself was much more satisfying than my service experience of repeated visits. Enough said
there.
I would go ahead and order part to find out if able. Thank you and don't forget to update us.:grin

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To give some closure to this thread:

I ended up giving Chevy Customer Care a call not long after I posted here. Thought I'd see if they could provide any insight with the issue or assistance in locating parts. They did also confirm that there was no record of a TSB or notice regarding the side detection system, as you all said.

Ultimately the parts arrived at my dealer within a couple of weeks of my call and I dropped it off last Tuesday for the work to be done. They turned it around (including a rear brake caliper swap) in a day.

My adviser still says that they used updated or revised parts per a bulletin, but I have no proof of it unfortunately. They've been friendly and helpful (loaners, etc) throughout the process, so I can't fault them there. The work order states that both control modules were found to be hot and puffed/cracked. As was the plan I mentioned before, they replaced the modules, sensors and harness in the rear bumper.

Side note - literally the day they called me about the parts arriving, the completely inop right side indicator began illuminating and flickering intermittently. Then, the night before the car went in, it lit up and stayed on all night. Prior to that, it had been completely dark since May. No idea about that one.

At this point though, with parts replaced, everything is working correctly again. Fingers crossed its over and done with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2014 SS...and the side detection started a few months back. Could not find anything on here until now. Mine appears to be on the passenger side. I have paid to have it diagnosed and GM offered a service credit if I proceeded. But would not pay for this to be completed. Car had just under 50k miles when diagnosed.

Tried to figure out which part is bad and what needs programmed. I have thought to purchase parts on shop gm and complete myself...but want to make sure which parts are bad. Car is garaged nightly. Curious what could have caused sensor to go bad.

Very annoying that the DIC comes up every time I start car...saying Service Side Detection Sensor.

·
Premium Member
14,019 Posts
I have a 2014 SS...and the side detection started a few months back. Could not find anything on here until now. Mine appears to be on the passenger side. I have paid to have it diagnosed and GM offered a service credit if I proceeded. But would not pay for this to be completed. Car had just under 50k miles when diagnosed.

Tried to figure out which part is bad and what needs programmed. I have thought to purchase parts on shop gm and complete myself...but want to make sure which parts are bad. Car is garaged nightly. Curious what could have caused sensor to go bad.

Very annoying that the DIC comes up every time I start car...saying Service Side Detection Sensor.
Foolish to attempt to diagnose and fix yourself without the proper knowledge and access to TIS2Web to diagnose and (re)program if needed.

GM offered you goodwill out of warranty. Take it.

It will most likely cost you more and be more difficult than you think.

Plus the repair at the dealer has a 12/12 warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, but not for this fix. They wanted me to spend $800 to get a service credit. Wouldn't apply to tires...only service. I do my own oil changes, etc. I suppose i should revisit it...as I have other gm vehicles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone else had issues with this? I have the Service Side Detection System message and was advised by the dealer the fix could be $1000 or more. I started researching this online and found that GM covered other vehicles for water intrusion into the sensor but the SS is not on the list ( probably because there aren't enough higher milage and year round driven early model SS out there to make this defect be more widely reported). Chevy Customer Care documented the issue with a case but that's about it.

Apparently a faulty sensor can corrupt the communications with other systems that affect drivability and safety, per the dealer, and from what I'm experiencing as well.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Does anyone have a part number for the 2014 SS object sensor? I found this one but I'm not sure if this is the original or an updated part number.

I'm curious to see if this part was manufactured by the same company that made the ones that GM is replacing on Cruzes, Impalas, etc.

NHTSA PDF link to GM document

·
Premium Member
14,019 Posts
That does not apply to the SS only the cars listed. Period.

Pay up or live with it.

Another reason for a GMEPP if you can't live with spending $$$ on repairs.

·
Premium Member
14,019 Posts
... and that part is NOT the part under the action.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did have Chevy PP. It expired. Now I have a vehicle with the exact same issues as described in the conditions section of the document with the instrument cluster going crazy with messages, speedometer dropping to zero intermittently, no steering wheel controls, no backup camera, turn signal chime that's works/doesn't work, etc. This isn't just a simple sensor issue for some superfluous system. When GM tied it into the rest of the vehicle I now have to pay a grand to fix a defective component that really should not be able to affect the general drivability of the vehicle, but it is doing so.

·
Premium Member
14,019 Posts
Everything (almost) in the vehicle goes thru GMLAN ... even a weak battery can cause similar issues. Vehicles are complex and not just GMs. Welcome to the new millennium.

You expect a vehicle to never need repairs ???

If you think the design is at fault complain to CCC.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you think the design is at fault complain to CCC.
I tried contacting them directly through the forum. I'm not sure they are monitoring it any more.

I had to call Chevy customer assistance and they basically just created a case.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't feel alone if you foot the bill for it. I have had two issues where paying to fix the issue
myself was much more satisfying than my service experience of repeated visits. Enough said
there.
I would go ahead and order part to find out if able. Thank you and don't forget to update us.:grin
What you said sounds like my experience purchasing a 2009 G8 GXP brand new from the dealer. I had several issues I had to pay for out of pocket or left un-addressed until it was sold. I stopped brining my car to the dealer when it smelled like clutch and the tech's excuse was "I'm not good at driving manual." Even a call to GM Customer Care didn't fix the issue or address the discipline of the service tech.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts