Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No, this isn't about the mooning you did in high school.
With all the deserved attention to the Moon on this 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing, here's a few tips on how to capture a pic of our nearest neighbor.

1. Forget your cellphone. You'll just have a blob. Kind of sad how people post blurry cellphone blob shots on social media to prove they were looking at the sky. Phonography won't get you there.**
2. Autofocus and auto settings probably won't work. The bright full moon or dimmer crescent moon against a dark sky will fool your camera exposure settings. Manual settings are the key for a successful shot.
3. You will commonly need a faster shutter speed. The best guess aperature is f/11.
4. A shorter lens works if you want landscape in the pic. If you want detail a minimum 300mm can deliver.
5. Plan your shot. Snapshots of the moon are usually meh.

Here's a few useful tutorials. Browse a few to pick out what will work for you:
Very basic "How to Photograph the Moon"
How to Photograph the Moon
Another basic "How to Photograph the Moon"
How to take a picture of the moon that doesn't look like a tiny white blob
6 Tips for Moon Photography (FWIW)

**During one lunar eclipse there were some young women taking pics of the moon with their cellphones. Knowing they weren't getting anything useful (except for getting 'likes' from their online friends), I decided to have some fun. Standing near them, I took a pic with my cellphone and forced the flash to fire. I had saved on my phone a very fine shot I'd captured with a long lens during a previous eclipse. I showed them the good pic and asked if they were having such success. They were awestruck and wanted to know what kind of phone I had. I told them it wasn't the phone. They simply had to go up to the next garage level to get closer to the moon and use their flash on their phones. They thanked me and went up the next floor. After biting my tongue for a while to keep from LOLing, I finally let on about my prank. They got all silly about how dumb they had been. I refrained from agreeing too strongly.

Good luck, show us your moon and I'll show you mine.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a few moon pics with settings, hoping this gives y'all some tips for launching your own portfolio of moon shots.

The rising full moon will be softer when it's low in the sky. This is a good opp to catch some foreground. (Or if you're too lazy to leave your yard and couldn't eliminate the foreground.)
Focal length: 155 mm
Exposure: 1/250 sec
Aperture: f/13
ISO-400

Rented a lens that I'd thought about buying and took this test shot. Even with the long lens the moon was surprisingly small, this image is a crop. I didn't buy the lens.
Focal length: 460 mm
Exposure: 1/60 sec (Needed the longer exposure because of the extreme focal length)
Aperture: f/13
ISO-400

Was surprised but very pleased to actually capture some detail of the lunar surface in this landscape shot. This is the moon setting over Sydney Harbour, I didn't have time to change lenses and was amazed to have lunar features with only a 70mm lens!
Focal length: 70 mm
Exposure: 1/200 sec
Aperture: f/6.3
ISO-1600 (Had to crank up the ISO to get some detail on the buildings in this low light.)

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
**During one lunar eclipse there were some young women taking pics of the moon with their cellphones. Knowing they weren't getting anything useful (except for getting 'likes' from their online friends), I decided to have some fun. Standing near them, I took a pic with my cellphone and forced the flash to fire. I had saved on my phone a very fine shot I'd captured with a long lens during a previous eclipse. I showed them the good pic and asked if they were having such success. They were awestruck and wanted to know what kind of phone I had. I told them it wasn't the phone. They simply had to go up to the next garage level to get closer to the moon and use their flash on their phones. They thanked me and went up the next floor. After biting my tongue for a while to keep from LOLing, I finally let on about my prank. They got all silly about how dumb they had been. I refrained from agreeing too strongly.

great pics .. but .. you really don't think most people have a clue about composition, apertures, flash, shutter speed, f-stops, etc .. right ?
just look at a concert .. 1,000 ft away and everyone turns on the phone flash with a range of .. 50 ft ?
agree .. its funny .. sometimes even annoying …

photography was my calling .. but .. I took a long shot application at a specific college .. surprise .. got in .. photography got pushed back .. study, study, study .. then kids, rent, food .. now, thinking of reviving the practice ...

my specialty was to see and shoot uniqueness .. things no one had done or even shots others could never do ...
seems to be a trait .. along with unique cars not many see or own …

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great pics .. but .. you really don't think most people have a clue about composition, apertures, flash, shutter speed, f-stops, etc .. right ?
This is the Photography sub-forum for which I was asked to be a content contributor. If you haven't noticed, this board has other sub-forums that have very detailed technical posts which most people don't understand. Have you put up similar comments in those?
What's your problem? Not getting enough attention to your random links so you have to troll?

my specialty was to see and shoot uniqueness .. things no one had done or even shots others could never do ...
seems to be a trait ..
So your portfolio is mostly selfies...umm-hmm. Eye of the beholder.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
… … the mooning you did in high school

This is the Photography sub-forum for which I was asked to be a content contributor. If you haven't noticed, this board has other sub-forums that have very detailed technical posts which most people don't understand. Have you put up similar comments in those?
What's your problem? Not getting enough attention to your random links so you have to troll?

So your portfolio is mostly selfies...umm-hmm. Eye of the beholder.

it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
are you having a bad day? anger issues ?

I was giving you support and credit …
I didn't know one had to be special or needed an invitation or needed to be asked to be a content contributor to post here …

forget it .. not willing to play into such H.S drama ...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Those are awesome shots.

The last lunar eclipse we watched I took pictures of my kids looking up (mostly asleep).

We have a telescope that has an eyepiece for a camera but we have not had time to play with it to sort out using it yet. I imagine we will by the time the kids figure out how to work the camera...they can show us!

We both took a photography class in college, mostly so we could get better at photography (and it seemed like a fun class-it was). He still practices, I don't. Ergo, my pictures are pretty mundane. So I just swing by these threads to check out what others have successfully taken. Someday-we both did enjoy the class.
:)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,588 Posts

just look at a concert .. 1,000 ft away and everyone turns on the phone flash with a range of .. 50 ft ?
agree .. its funny .. sometimes even annoying …

photography was my calling .. but .. I took a long shot application at a specific college .. surprise .. got in .. photography got pushed back .. study, study, study .. then kids, rent, food .. now, thinking of reviving the practice ...

seems to be a trait .. along with unique cars not many see or own …

Is there ANYTHING you aren't an authority on???? How about bubble gum? Whatcha know about that? How about fake vomit used for gags? Anything? I can't grow hair on my head but it grows everywhere else. Any ideas? The other day I was wondering why water is wet. Whatcha think?

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
Is there ANYTHING you aren't an authority on???? How about bubble gum? Whatcha know about that? How about fake vomit used for gags? Anything? I can't grow hair on my head but it grows everywhere else. Any ideas? The other day I was wondering why water is wet. Whatcha think?
documented unprovoked personal attack

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I'm all for shooting the moon and blowing it up. I think it would solve a lot of problems in the world (i.e., women's periods, hurricanes, etc..)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
documented unprovoked personal attack

Not an attack. Just questions. Much better than a PM.

·
Registered
870 Posts
bah sorry thought this was a thread about pulling out....

my bad.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not an attack. Just questions. Much better than a PM.
Oh, you getting bizzare PMs also? Sheesh. I just ignore them, although I've never blocked anyone on a forum.
Well Smirnoff, I like that you ain't afraid to tell the farmer how the cow ate the cabbage. We're seeing in too many topics that in general most do indeed have a field of expertise even if it's derailing theads and attention whoring...it would be mildly amusing if it wasn't just so pathetic.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a Canon PowerShot SX50--it's a decent little point and shoot with one very cool party trick (50x optical zoom). One of the coolest uses I have found for that party trick are moon shots. This one honestly is probably only 80% or so zoomed, but the resolution is hurting a bit from uploading to Facebook, downloading to my phone, emailing and re-uploading here.

-TH24

Attachments

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a Canon PowerShot SX50--it's a decent little point and shoot with one very cool party trick (50x optical zoom). One of the coolest uses I have found for that party trick are moon shots. This one honestly is probably only 80% or so zoomed, but the resolution is hurting a bit from uploading to Facebook, downloading to my phone, emailing and re-uploading here.
-TH24
Wow! That's surprisingly good resolution from a point-and-shoot. At that zoom you're using image stabilization, were you otherwise to do that handheld or did you brace the camera in some way?

General TIP: If you shoot off a tripod then turn image stabilization OFF.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wow! That's surprisingly good resolution from a point-and-shoot. At that zoom you're using image stabilization, were you otherwise to do that handheld or did you brace the camera in some way?

General TIP: If you shoot off a tripod then turn image stabilization OFF.
At most, I would have been bracing it on a balcony railing--but more than likely it was just free handed. The image stabilization is really solid--I'm guessing they put some extra effort into that system given the zoom capabilities. I'll post up a couple other moon shots tonight that are on my home computer. It's honestly a really impressive camera for a slightly-intrigued-by-photography amateur like me. In any event, you can definitely get some pretty neat nature and wildlife photos with that kind of zoom. I've also taken some really cool pictures at concerts, football games and events like that.

-TH24

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
The moon is too important, so the hurricanes and PMS have to stay. It's going to become a gas station for human travel to mars and other galactic locations. Water was discovered on the moon (NASA's LCROSS mission) and that means hydrogen gas stations on the moon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts