Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just trying to find info. My wife's SS air bag light and passenger seat belt light is on or chimes thinking someone is in seat. Had 1 code B0081. I see there is a presence module and also the presence sensor mat. The mat is discontinued. Does anyone know what the module does as apposed to mat? I work on toyotas and was hoping I could rezero the seat but it kept failing. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My parts guy found 1 at a dealership close but its spoken for. Just don't know what to do when some of this crap starts going bad. Started having same issues with discontinued parts on her GTO so traded it in.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine and trans will be fine, but it starts with weird parts like SAFETY items then trickles down to other things. Wife owes 13 and carvana offered 26,800 so tempting right now. Not just cause of air bag. Would like to find her a 17 in different color/lower mileage.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,325 Posts
Ugh. I really do worry about how hard it might be to keep this car on the road over the next 5-10 years.
One of the things that I considered before deciding to sell mine.

Quite honestly, I found it easier to get parts for my FC Turbo RX7, that I sold prior to getting my SS, than it is getting parts for the SS.

Reactions: 16PB6MT

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True, been holding onto it cause we thought we had 6 year 100k warranty when purchased in 17. Found out today the warranty is expired since extended warranty started from when car was new in 14....

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Engine and trans will be fine, but it starts with weird parts like SAFETY items then trickles down to other things. Wife owes 13 and carvana offered 26,800 so tempting right now. Not just cause of air bag. Would like to find her a 17 in different color/lower mileage.
Yeah, I’m not worried about the drivetrain. I worry about things like living with an airbag light and worse, the audible alarm that goes with it. Or the infotainment system bricking itself. Or a superglued wiper cowl. Or having a saggy rear bumper. Or eventually having to bypass the heater core. Or even little things like the HUD no longer working because I had to go with a G8 windshield.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,325 Posts
Honestly been a great car last 4 years. Had an AC line leak, sway bars and now starter. Other than air bag only issues and has 93k miles.
So, has the battery been checked? The air bag light is also triggered by low system voltage detected.

Reactions: 16PB6MT and ESindon

·
Registered
2015 Silver/ Stock
220 Posts
Ugh. I really do worry about how hard it might be to keep this car on the road over the next 5-10 years.
I've been having this same feeling, and the market value is still there. I've had Zero issues with my stock 2015 with 27,800 miles. I recently was offered $45,000 at a dealer on a trade for a 2022 pickup. Just found it hard to pre-order $70k for a damn truck. Decided to keep my SS for now....

Reactions: 16PB6MT

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I've been having this same feeling, and the market value is still there. I've had Zero issues with my stock 2015 with 27,800 miles. I recently was offered $45,000 at a dealer on a trade for a 2022 pickup. Just found it hard to pre-order $70k for a damn truck. Decided to keep my SS for now....
To be clear. I plan on keeping mine forever. Hopefully will retire it as a daily driver in the next 5-6 years (if you can call 20k miles in 5.5 years a DD, but it is my primary vehicle). But I do worry about parts.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 2015 with zero problems at 53k miles except for the bad shocks. Yes, electronic problems and replacement parts for that stuff are the huge bugaboo for modern cars.

Modern cars just have far too much electronic cr*p in them. Much of it just infotainment toys. That's why our DDs are 91 and older. Very simple in comparison. And, actually, as much fun to drive, if not more in some respects. The car is basically too numb, even when driven with verve.

Our SS is now pretty much a garage queen, used only for very occasional long trips and day trips.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The seat belt light was on.. Checked codes. I was trying to see about rezeroing with scan tool and it set the air bag light B0081. Replaced battery last night air bag light still on. The rezeroing kept failing something about wrong car or something.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,325 Posts
The seat belts also have "air bag-like" pretentioners that will set the "service air bag" light. So, that needs to be looked into.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Resurrecting this thread. Has anyone been able to get a Chevy dealer to address the passenger seat belt light/chime issue successfully? Just latching the seatbelt stops that chime but then another one starts, because it seems that if the sensor detects that there is no one in the seat and the seat belt is latched, the "service airbag" warning light and display come on instead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts