Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp. After much “riding the brake and clutch” one of my best friends has decided to not purchase my SS. While I am not in a terrible hurry to sell I am wondering if anyone has had a quote from CarMax? I have a 15 PBM M6 with 62,500 on it. Car has matching conti dws06’s with 13 or so k and aside from needing a quality detail is in great shape. Looking at their site manuals go QUICK and theyre listing similar auto’s in the mid 30’s.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
They will offer about 2k less than what it’s worth.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Seems like many sell to CarMax for great prices. Worth looking into if you plan to sell anyway.

I just had a neighbor drive my other car for a bit after blowing up my phone about it, and drove it for 2 days, decided not to buy. Hes an older guy in his 70s, you would think he would have his dookie together by now in life. $3500 car though, far from an SS :)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Several threads on CarMax in general. I have sold to them twice with reasonable results (I favor ease, speed and convenience over top dollar) but just sold a car to CarVana after they offered just over 2k more than CarMax did on that car. Even easier than CarMax as they come to you, and as long as the car is in the condition you state when you get a quote you won’t have a problem.

As Paycheck says, you will get a fair bit more private party but it can take a long time and a lot of work, and often wasted time with buyers who aren’t serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,946 Posts

All I hear is that Carvan and CarMax seem to be straight shooters, no games …

I sold another car like 5 times, took $100 non-refundable deposit, gave one month to pay in full ..

its now sold AGAIN .. 20 days left to complete .. we shall see .. if not, its Kars for Kids next …

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
“Riding the brake and clutch” is a story from years back when my friend borrowed our buddies trailblazer and left him his GTO. he roasted the clutch across the GW. naturally it has become a saying.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not posted it in the classifieds. May just be my opinion but they don’t seem to do well on the classifieds and worse on bringatrailer.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I have not posted it in the classifieds. May just be my opinion but they don’t seem to do well on the classifieds and worse on bringatrailer.
quite a few have sold through classifieds here on the site. I would definitely give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

Agreed on BaT, they always seem to sell low despite the positive comments; it would be a lot more work and the BaT cut of the sale price would make that a non-starter for me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BaT is funny the little i know about it. A close friend wanted to sell his Z4M and they rejected the auction most likely because he wanted a reserve... but another car they didn't make many of. Commenters want the VIN tag photos for S2000's.. the IMS bearing with 996/986. I wouldn't want to post anything on there that wasn't 100%.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just sold my Ford Edge so I can buy my SS. CarMax gave me what I thought was a great quote. About $1000 more than I was expecting. On a whim, I checked Carvana, they offered $1500 more than CarMax. So I got $2500 more than I was planning on. Within 3 days, I had a check in hand. ZERO hassle.
They showed up with there truck, did a brief walk around and drove it around the block to confirm its condition. They did not go over it with a fine tooth comb. Basically she checked if it drove and if it stopped. That's about it. I signed 2 pieces of paper and within 15 minutes of her arriving, I had a check in hand. Most painless sale I have ever made.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
They showed up with there truck, did a brief walk around and drove it around the block to confirm its condition. They did not go over it with a fine tooth comb. Basically she checked if it drove and if it stopped. That's about it. I signed 2 pieces of paper and within 15 minutes of her arriving, I had a check in hand. Most painless sale I have ever made.
Isn't a big part of Carvana sales pitch about how their buyers check out cars very carefully before they buy for resale?

And welcome to SS Forum, have you found your SS yet?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Pugsly, you must be channeling me. Only difference is he didn’t even drive the car around the block. Just gave me the check and put it on the truck. I’m sure if it was an older car or had some obvious flaws not noted previously he would have paid more attention.

I’ve sold cars and bought one car from CarMax. I appreciate the simplicity of the process and it has been worth the penalty in $s to me to avoid the typical buying/selling process. I hate it as much as some people love it.

But, I just sold a 2015 Ford Edge I used for business. Low miles for the age, well cared for and maintained, overall great shape. CarMax offered $17k to buy it and would have turned around and sold it with little effort spent on reconditioning for ~$22-23k based on current similar listings. $5k markup out the door. I decided to try a couple other car buying services, TrueCar and Carvana.

TrueCar offered $18,100 and I would have had to deal with a local Ford dealer to get it done. As soon as I got the quote from Trucar I had text and emails for two different reps at the Ford dealer. I hate that crap and I ignored them, not worth the churn.

Tried Carvana. Offered $19,400; hey that’s pretty good and reasonably close to what I would have let it go for (not listed as) to sell private party. Worked through the process online which was straightforward and waited a day or so. Deal moves forward, they need some additional info from the lease holder. Long story short the 7 day offer ran out due to miscommunication issues between Carvana and the leasing bank. Got that resolved and resubmitted for a new quote and they now offered $19,600, $200 increase. Done deal.

Made the appointment for yesterday, cleaned up the car, the driver arrives on time with a couple forms to sign and a check made out to my business for the equity I had in the car above the lease payoff price. Much easier and faster process than even CarMax, 15 minutes tops and the car was on the truck.

Not for everybody, but at this stage I would say Carvana is at least worth looking at when selling you car (maybe not the SS) and you want to avoid the hassle or don’t have the time of a private party sale or stealership. Certainly for the sale side they make it easy and from my perspective it was a fair deal in this case.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've used Carmax in the past a couple times as a means to unload cars not worth having in my driveway anymore. We're talking 10-15 year old vehicles that have little to no sale value unless going to private seller options and finding a college kid in search of a beater or such, and honestly more of a hassle than the extra $500-1000 the effort would be worth. They've been courteous & efficient and I've walked away with a check in my pocket for little time spent. From that perspective they're absolutely great. Yes, they lowball as a starting point so it helps to keep in mind how much your time in the process is worth.

But if you have a car with an appreciable market value that's relatively new & in decent shape and in demand, IME Carvana's pretty hard to beat. A friend of mine recently parted ways with a gently-used Audi crossover and came out of the exchange with a significantly better deal than other dealers & Carmax were offering.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
you wrote with CarMax they low ball you as a starting point...do you mean they came up on the price they were willing to pay???...every time I dealt with CarMax they made an offer and did not budge...even when I showed them where I thought they were light or incorrect in their assessment...

Bill

·
Super Moderator
5,566 Posts
Dealer offered 8,000 less for what we felt it was worth took him by car max they offered 8000 more than dealer so back to dealer who had a thing going on they would match car max plus 500. They had egg on there face when we showed the paper work. Deal went thru after that. I think someone at dealer wanted truck for there selves and they low balled him.I have started stopping by car max on way to dealer to trade and so far I have gotten more money from dealer on trade.
z51vett
Doug

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
the last two vehicles I took to CarMax (2015) offered me the same amount as the dealership...back in 2002 CarMax did offer me $2000 more than the dealership I was buying the new car from and the dealership told me they couldn't touch that price...

the mechanic that inspected my car at CarMax bought it...

Bill

1 - 20 of 33 Posts