Chevy SS Forum banner

Safe to use penetrating oil when removing O2 sensors?

• Sure thing -

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No way!

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Won't make a difference

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Buy new sensors just to be on the safe side

Votes: 2 28.6%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Common problem when installing headers is that the O2 sensors were installed by the factory without anti-seize and you may strip them when removing them - is it safe to use penetrating oil to try to remove them safely?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Mixed results will probably be posted. Silicon based penetrating products will mess with the oxygen sensor if it soaks to the ceramic part. That said, I've had great success with a little PB Blaster pointed directly towards the threads. I've also had success removing them while the exhaust is hot, just be careful where your arms and hands touch.

·
Registered
348 Posts
With a 02 sensor tool, it should come right out. A little wd40/ pb blaster, a little tapping, will unseize those that are stuck. If not, I agree, heat. Either let the exhaust get hot, wont take more than a few minutes. Then just worry about breaking it loose. Let it cool off, then remove it completely.
Depending on location, it can be difficult to stick a torch for those stubborn ones. I have used mini and pencil torches (cheap o's from Harbor Freight). Takes several minutes to heat the sensor, but works fine.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For some reason, it never occurred to me to heat up the sensor with a torch...

Learn something every day around here...

Thanks, folks!

·
Premium Member
3,245 Posts
X2 on PB Blaster. It can loosen most anything. Stinks big time so make sure you have good ventilation.

·
Banned
15,274 Posts
Dont heat the sensor, heat the pipe around the sensor....
Clarification:

This is the correct action.

Heat expands the pipe around the sensor threads.

If you heat the sensor or sensor nut it will just jam in tighter and direct heat may potentially damage it.

Using heat and cold to break loose stubborn things must be dying knowledge.

·
Premium Member
3,245 Posts
If only I had a nickel (okay $100) for every time my mom came home and yelled at me because I had connecting rods in her oven and wrist pins in the freezer. I always put two layers of cardboard on the living room carpet before cleaning parts and die grinding burrs while watching TV.

yep, I had an interesting childhood to say the least

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.