Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a '15 RPG SS that's spent its life in the DE/PA/NJ area, hasn't been driven much in the winter (34k on the clock total). When I was detailing it a few weeks ago, I noticed that it's got some rust on the bottom lip of the rear passenger door:

The other 3 doors are pristine. It looks like there's some kind of painted-over putty on the bottom lips of each door, and on this one it's peeling off. I noticed this only because I decided to take the bottom rubber off to clean the door drains. The drains on this door were pretty clean and I don't think it's been holding water. The rust hasn't made its way to the outside of the door yet, and is only visible from inside, but it looks UGLY.

I'm really confused how this happened because this looks way worse than my 20-year-old Monte Carlo with 250k miles driven in the same environment. I have some ideas though:

1. This door was definitely repainted and possibly replaced at some point (the VIN sticker has been removed and taped back on), if it WAS actually replaced maybe it came from a rust belt car.
2. This car was in an accident that involved light damage to the passenger rear quarter (before I owned it). I reached out to the body shop that did the work and they confirmed that they did not replace the door but may have resprayed it to blend. Since I didn't own the car back then they won't warranty the body work to me or send me the repair invoice / work order so I really don't know. Nothing else on the CarFax suggests the door was replaced.

Obviously this kinda sucks, and I originally considered cutting my losses with the car because if the body work was shoddy I wouldn't want to keep it long term. However, I did a pretty thorough inspection of the repaired area from the bottom up and through the wheelwell and it looks like they did a decent job. There isn't a thick layer of bondo or any rust that I can see. So now I'm thinking about getting this fixed, but where would I have to take it to be professionally done? Do body shops to small jobs like this? I've done touch-up rust repair on my daily driver, but I don't want to have to do my own bodywork on this.

Edit: One last thing that might be worth mentioning is that I have a film tint all around on the door windows that came with the car. This was installed when I bought it, so maybe the process of taking the door apart to apply the tint could have caused a problem if some kind of chemicals were applied in the process.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
My 13 Avalanche had a similar issue. But it wasn't the very bottom of the door. It was where the weatherstripping contacted the door.

It was clearly repainted at some point [at the plant, or before i got it as a dealer demo] and the door was closed on the seal. That truck also had a seam split there, and the supplier used a non stainless internal metal band and it rotted right at the seam on the driver door - which also has an adjustment issue [slightly off since new].

Any visible contact on the body or seal where the door is when closed? Clogged lower door drain perhaps...

I'd fix it ASAP personally before it gets too thin at the rolled area of the skin to the area where it folds under the door.

Body color seam sealer is pretty common.

·
Registered
150 Posts
From the picture it looks like rust water has dried not that it's rusted where the discolored spots are ( I could be wrong just looking at a picture on the web). I'd take the door panel off to see if there is something rusting other than the door skin. when you find the rust use Ospho to kill the rust and repaint as needed to cover any exposed metal.

Sorry to hear hope it's a quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
there is seam sealer along that bottom edge of the door skin crimp to prevent water from getting and collecting behind the crimp.. It looks like a section of the seam sealer was pulled off exposing the bare metal underneath. You can see an outline of the original seam sealer yellow/tan color around the edge of the rusted area where it was torn off. The bare metal underneath the sealer has rusted from regular exposure to water (just from car washing and/or rain). I would clean it with a small wire brush, treat with a rust neutralizer, coat with a rust encapsulator, and re-apply a seam sealer. Be generous with the rust neutralizer to let it seep and soak in behind the crimped seam. You might have to replace that door eventually but not for another 20 years; especially if the car doesn't see any winter driving or salt today.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS; RH2, 6M, Sunroof, Full-size spare, #53 of 58 built in 2017
733 Posts
Sean Seam sealer failure is common on Fords. I had it happen on a 1988 and 2012 Ford. Sealer gets hard and shrinks which causes clearcoat cracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yes body shops do small things like this, heck mine even sprayed new chevy bowties pmb for me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts