Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, so during the gas shortage, literally NOBODY here in Metro Atlanta had premium for a good while. So I had to get half a tank of regular. The engine keeps running like crap at idle even though I think I've burned off most of the regular gas by now. What's going on? Does something need to be reset?

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
If your not tuned for 93 you won't damage your engine. Some cars simply don't like regular gas at all. I had a Honda Passport years back that punished me at stop lights for running regular. Top it off with the right stuff when available. We get shortages here during bad weather but regular is always the first grade to go.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Have you even topped it off yet? At this point, it's just a simple dilution game; the more premium you mix with what's left in the tank, the higher the octane will rise toward a full premium rating.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,596 Posts
"Regular" gas ain't making it idle rough, bad gas, maybe. Still, keep filling it it with known good gas.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would tend to agree with some of the others that it is more likely poor quality fuel rather than the octane number alone. Once in northern Michigan I filled up at a one pump town that did not even post the octane rating and the car ran just fine. So, I would agree keep filling with the best gas you can find and if that does not help you might have to dig deeper to find the cause of the rough idle.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Octane requirement at idle is WAY below 87 octane or whatever your regular gas happens to be.

I and others have run tank fulls of regular on day long interstate lopes (also a low octane requirement situation). Could be contaminated gas or a problem coincidence that occurred with that fill up.

That said...my LS3 has never had a smooth idle since I bought it in 2016.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Alright guys, so during the gas shortage, literally NOBODY here in Metro Atlanta had premium for a good while. So I had to get half a tank of regular. The engine keeps running like crap at idle even though I think I've burned off most of the regular gas by now. What's going on? Does something need to be reset?
Quite possible you got watered down gas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts