Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of replacing all the globes in my SS and want to replace the factory globe that lights up the ring around the ignition barrel with a blue LED (see pic), but can't figure out how to get to it.

I googled but found nothing helpful. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Screenshot_20210718-041945_eBay~2.jpg
Hi from Melbourne, Australia too 馃槈

Super Moderator
Reactions: ESindon

Super Moderator
He said it is a 2014 Commodore SS down under.

Registered
I got that, but they too had a push button start. i.e. The pictures in the original post are not from the ignition switch of a Commodore VF.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What year is your SS?
2014. The previous owner had an SSV interior and dash put in but I assume the plastic surround around the steering column is identical between models.
I'm in Australia with a Holden SS. Unlike the US version, the original Holden VF has a push button start on the left of the steering column and there's an ignition barrel on the right side. Being a Series 1 with an SSV interior the previous owner put in, the push start button isn't connected to anything. I didn't know all US versions only had a start button though.

Registered
Now you have really confused me! As I thought all VF's came with push button start!

Is it a Commodore VF or possibly a Commodore VE?

i.e. That picture looks to me like it's from a Commodore VE, which was imported into the USA as the Pontiac G8

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got that, but they too had a push button start. i.e. The pictures in the original post are not from the ignition switch of a Commodore VF.
It is. The Holden VFSS has an ignition barrel across every model rather than just a start button 馃槈
Now you have really confused me! As I thought all VF's came with push button start!

i.e. That picture looks to me like it's from a Commodore VE, which was imported into the USA as the Pontiac G8
All VFs in Australia also have key ignition. NoThat pic is from a VF, yes.

That picture is from Holden VF. Not all VFs sold in Australia have pushbutton start though. The VF Evoke, SV6 and SS don't. The SSV and Redline models and the various variants of those two do.

All Holden VFs sold in Australia had key ignition regardless of whether they were a push start model though. The differences between the Australian models and the imported US models can be a bit confusing. I'm only familiar with the Australian versions and assumed the US imports all came with ignition barrels like they have here

Registered
Thanks for the info.

Are you saying you need a key as well as using the stop/start button?

Maybe you could take a picture or two of the steering column and include the dash?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info.

Are you saying you need a key as well as using the stop/start button?

Maybe you could take a picture or two of the steering column and include the dash?
You don't need to use the key AND the start/stop button...that wouldn't make any sense. But Australian models equipped with star/stop buttons have the option of using either, presumably if the button fails.

If US models don't have an ignition barrel with a light ring around it, an Australian Holden forum like Just Commodores should yield some info.

馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now that I think of it, all I need to know is how to remove the plastic trim from the steering column to access the ignition barrel. I should have just asked that 馃ぃ
Weird thing is, I've googled the hell out of it and can't find any detailed instructions or much of anything for the VF...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts