Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Heron White Automatic SS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I bought thea R1 concepts package with the GEOMET OEM solid rotors and and R1 Concepts Optimum pads. When I get them installed and have some miles on them I will let everyone know what I think.

·
Registered
654 Posts
So,if mine is four yrs old and has 16,800 miles (pretty tame) on it, when do I need to look at a change?
Servicing the pad edges with goo & changing to the improved pad spacers (and new rear pads) to address squeaking more so than having anything worn down to below service level. if you dont have squeaking no good reason to create a headache. Maybe consider bleeding out 4-5 year old brake fluid with fresh GM stuff. With a wheel off, and a pin pulled on the (Brembo) calipers, you can get a real good look at both pads and rotor condition inside n out.

·
Registered
817 Posts
17's had the new pad spacer from factory i believe i researched a while ago.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Friends,

What pads and rotors should I buy for my daily driver 2017 SS automatic? Next question is were should I buy them?

Thanks for the help!

Andy
I did extensive research on this before buying my replacement pads and rotors and went with EBC products for both. I’m running with their Slotted discs and the Yellow Stuff pads. Very satisfied with results after 2000 +- miles of spirited driving after break-in. Street legal high performance pad, silky smooth and very quiet, no fade, very low to no dust. I highly recommend the set up. Best deal by far was through Amazon believe it or not. At my door in 4-5 days. No shipping charges.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I replaced my front brake pads at 72K miles with EBC Red Stuff pads and turned the factory rotors. With 5K miles on the new pads I ran 3 back to back 60-0 brake test and stopped at 103, 103, 105ft. My tires are 245 front 285 rear DWS06. Brake peddle feels good, not spongy at all. I like Castrol DOT 4 brake fluid for my daily's. I'm at 115K miles now and the brakes still work great. The rear brakes are original and still have plenty of life left.

My car had seen some track time on the factory brakes and held up well. I haven't been to the track with the new pads but I have seen plenty of curvy mountain spirited driving with no issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I replaced my front brake pads at 72K miles with EBC Red Stuff pads and turned the factory rotors. With 5K miles on the new pads I ran 3 back to back 60-0 brake test and stopped at 103, 103, 105ft. My tires are 245 front 285 rear DWS06. Brake peddle feels good, not spongy at all. I like Castrol DOT 4 brake fluid for my daily's. I'm at 115K miles now and the brakes still work great. The rear brakes are original and still have plenty of life left.

My car had seen some track time on the factory brakes and held up well. I haven't been to the track with the new pads but I have seen plenty of curvy mountain spirited driving with no issues.
The EBCs were my second choice, I have used them onn my other family cars but the R1 Performance set seemed a better choice. I will know in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Got 95% of my OEM brake parts. Only thing missing is caliber bolts, and should be here next week.

The rears don't need replaced due to wear, doing it mainly for cosmetic reasons, lot of surface rust, could paint, but I ordered the zinc coated rear rotors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Friends,

My new brakes (R1 Performance rotors and pads) were installed last Thursday and now have about 450 miles on them.

They already passed their first big test with flying colors. The day after they were installed I was driving up to work doing 55 when an A-Hole in a Challenger abruptly pulled out and then stopped 200 feet in front of me. I hit the brakes and was easily able to stop with about 70 feet to spare. Fortunately, the cars behind me were keeping a safe distance and I did not get rear-ended.

Now that they are more broken in the stopping power is better than the OEM parts. Smooth stopping, no noise, and no dust. $700 well spend.

I have the used rotors and pads sitting in my storage shed.

Happy Thanksgiving.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts