Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Heron White Automatic SS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

What pads and rotors should I buy for my daily driver 2017 SS automatic? Next question is were should I buy them?

Thanks for the help!

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I used dynamic friction pads with oem rotors and was very pleased after bedding.

Front pads1115147410
Rear pads 1400105300

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
Never mind the brake dust issues!! The OEM rotors and stock pads (Ferodo HP 1000 formulation) are the BEST STOPPING POWER you can get for the SS (Stock,,, NOT 6 piston CTS-V conversions!!)!! BAR NONE!!! PERIOD,,, COMMA,,,,,,,,, end of sentence!!!! TRUE,,, these parts are,, because of supply chain issues,,, hard to find just now,, but still available!!!!

Thats what I do every 2 years at this point!!! My brakes can pull the eyeballs out of my sockets!! Why go with anything else!!

ES

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Man I get pushing the oem but who wants to spend that kind of money. I am quite pleased with the results of my tests with the dynamic frictions to be the same if not better stopping and initial bite than oem and for a fraction of the price and will use them gain in the future.

Just need to stop using ceramic. It’s garbage and makes pedal spongy as well as doesn’t stop as good as a solid semi metallic.

Read the descriptions of how a particular pad is supposed to act. If it does not sound like the factory then don’t buy it!

People with lead foots really shouldn’t use anything other than semi metallics. You want to stop after going fast don’t you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Down to either the R1 Performance Concepts Optimum or the Brake Performance Premium Cross Drilled & Slotted Brake Kit products. Suggestions or experience with either?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Drilled is cosmetic for street use and will lead to more pad wear and possibly shorter life of the rotor. Plus less sweep area for the pad and lower quality drilled rotors tend to crack at the holes. Slotted similar issues to lesser degree.

If you track (meaning road course) the above may have value, but of course you’re doing full brake replacements more frequently anyway.

I get the appeal of the visuals if that is what you are going for, but you did ask for the best combo for your daily driver….which in my mind leads to performance and durability.

There are plenty of good options and there are a lot of threads with other owners experience with non OEM replacements, but I certainly would not pay more than OEM for an aftermarket option if it isn’t clearly going to work any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Never mind the brake dust issues!! The OEM rotors and stock pads (Ferodo HP 1000 formulation) are the BEST STOPPING POWER you can get for the SS (Stock,,, NOT 6 piston CTS-V conversions!!)!! BAR NONE!!! PERIOD,,, COMMA,,,,,,,,, end of sentence!!!! TRUE,,, these parts are,, because of supply chain issues,,, hard to find just now,, but still available!!!!

Thats what I do every 2 years at this point!!! My brakes can pull the eyeballs out of my sockets!! Why go with anything else!!

ES
THIS!!!!! Upgraded the brake fluid to high temp and have not had a lick of fade after 3 hard track days

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brembo does not have rear rotors for the SS but does have front and rear pads.

Right now I am leaning to a R1 concepts package with the GEOMET OEM solid rotors and and R1 Concepts Optimum pads/

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Got a set of front and rear rotors, and pads, all OEM.....

Should arrive before the end of the week...

I only have 55,000 miles on all original brakes. :p

Reactions: copacetic1

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Got a set of front and rear rotors, and pads, all OEM.....

Should arrive before the end of the week...

I only have 55,000 miles on all original brakes. :p
55,000 miles?! You must drive a road car as smooth as Sir Jackie Stewart!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
55,000 miles?! You must drive a road car as smooth as Sir Jackie Stewart!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ah yes, the Flying Scot, one of my all-time favorite race drivers, I do try to emulate his style.

·
Super Moderator
8,032 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Unless the man in the van did a rear brembo conversion, could be the '14's are in stock and the others not so much...
Yes, I have a 14, and stock brakes.

The rear rotors just arrived, front rotors and pads arrive tomorrow...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Where are people sourcing the rear rotors?
Got mine from Amazon - $140 each. I ordered the ACDelco Gold #18A81795, but the ones that showed up are actually the OEM GM #92287421. At least according to the boxes they came in.

Reactions: jonkr15
1 - 20 of 30 Posts