Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I got a flat front tire and replaced it with the full size spare. I'm looking for suggestions on what to replace the flat tire.

I'm thinking of two options:

1) Replace the flat with a really cheap tire that will only be used as a spare and keep the new Bridgestone with the used one on the front.

2) Move the other used front tire as the spare and buy the same model Bridgestone to have two new ones on the front.

I'm thinking of getting aftermarket wheels in a couple years or so once all the tires need to replaced so I'm kinda leaning towards option 1 and spend $100 or so rather then spending almost $400 on a new Bridgestone.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, I assume their is no issue using the full size spare wheel as a permanent wheel? I see there is a sticker saying use as a temp only but I can't imagine why that is if it has the tpms.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I'm going to get a new Bridgestone and use the worn one as a spare. I imagine it's going to be a few years before I get new rims and I had to take a moment and think this through.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,409 Posts
Well, it appears you addressed your issue that suits your needs. I'm puzzled by the spare wheel sticker you mentioned. My car came with a full-size spare, and I recall a label, but I can't recall any mention of temporary use.

Reactions: kdawg

·
Super Moderator
13,733 Posts
The "temporary use" sticker is on the OE full size spare because if used on the rear it is slightly mismatched in size and long term that could damage the limited slip differential. The spare is exactly the same tire/wheel/TPMS combination as the two originals on the front.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
I have 2 near new take offs, may have others.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The "temporary use" sticker is on the OE full size spare because if used on the rear it is slightly mismatched in size and long term that could damage the limited slip differential. The spare is exactly the same tire/wheel/TPMS combination as the two originals on the front.
Yep, I think the intent from the the manufacturer is, get your original tire fixed, or replaced, and put the spare back in it's spot.

I know we have all spotted a doughnut spare on a car, that has been on for years, or until it wares out.....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I think I'm going to get a new Bridgestone and use the worn one as a spare. I imagine it's going to be a few years before I get new rims and I had to take a moment and think this through.
I like this idea best. I rotated my spare in with my fronts from new then when I got new tires all around I kept the least worn Bridgestone and threw that in the trunk as the now permanent spare.

·
Registered
95 Posts
FWIW, the spare tire may not be balanced. (Mine wasn't.) I suggest checking that before using it long term or putting it into your tire rotation to ensure best tire life and ride quality.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
It should be. The spares were done on the same line as the rest of the wheels and wouldn't have passed a check in the plant if that was the case...
True, maybe it was an odd ball wheel and tire, that was in balance when tested, and no weights needed.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I replaced the tire and the shop screwed up a few things but got it sorted out.

I also asked them to rotate the rears and now I noticed this bump near the sidewall. Does anyone know what could have caused this and could the shop have done this?

I'm annoyed they didn't notice it as it looks like that tire is not safe and also needs to be replaced. Now if I have to change this one, I'm thinking I should have just invested the money in after market wheels.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can usually occurs when hitting "a pothole or piece of road debris; running into a curb; driving too fast over speed bumps or railroad crossings; overloading your tire; and driving, even for a short distance, with a flat tire"

It could have happened when they rotated the tires and test drove it. But after you leave the dealership it will be very difficult to impossible to have them own up to it.

I would get the tire replaced. It is not safe to ride on a tire in that condition.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts

^^ To my eyes, it doesn't appear to be a recent event, as that blister looks rather aged, what with all the cracking in the rubber around it. In fact, the tread on the whole tire appears to have significant cracking all around the outer shoulder edge (if you zoom in on the pic, you can see it is actually quite deep into the outer tread blocks). Whats more, the cracking is all dried out, like it has been that way for a while. Was the tire driven on while underinflated for an extended period of time, perhaps? (or maybe heat cycled out from too many hot laps?) Regardless, that tire is toast and should not be trusted at any speed. I'd strongly agree that it needs replacing, and ASAP.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help guys. The other rear tire is cracking the same so I think it's time to change both of them.

Would you have any suggestion on what tires to get or should I get the same to match the fronts?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going to take it to a different shop this time. I had too many problems with the shop changing the front tire.

Reactions: good2go

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will probably go with one of the following:
Pilot Sport 4S
Continental Extreme Contact Sport
Potenza S-04 Pole Position

I'm leaning towards the Pole Positions just because they look similar to the front RE050A's. I know that maybe sounds weird.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts